WTH Tesla!?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Driving home from holidays, towing the travel trailer with our Superduty. Hit the Sparwood 80km zone with the traffic lights on the highway. Small Tesla in front of us approaches the traffic lights and just touches the stop line as the light turns yellow. Tesla suddenly goes into full on braking and stops, right in the middle of the intersection! Jerks a couple times and proceeds. My truck goes into full on pre frontal collision avoidance mode (thank goodness). Wife and I look at each other like "what the firetruck was that!?".

Through a quick internet search it seems Teslas in autopilot may go into a breaking mode at yellow lights. After our experience, not thinking this is a very good "safety" feature!

Anyone else here experience this either as a vehicle behind or as a tesla driver/owner?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Driving home from holidays, towing the travel trailer with our Superduty. Hit the Sparwood 80km zone with the traffic lights on the highway. Small Tesla in front of us approaches the traffic lights and just touches the stop line as the light turns yellow. Tesla suddenly goes into full on braking and stops, right in the middle of the intersection! Jerks a couple times and proceeds. My truck goes into full on pre frontal collision avoidance mode (thank goodness). Wife and I look at each other like "what the firetruck was that!?".

Through a quick internet search it seems Teslas in autopilot may go into a breaking mode at yellow lights. After our experience, not thinking this is a very good "safety" feature!

Anyone else here experience this either as a vehicle behind or as a tesla driver/owner?

Could have had full self driving beta which does stop signs and traffic lights. Standard autopilot will not stop for flashing yellow. Mine would slow for a flashing yellow sometimes but I just ride the accelerator to stop it from slowing in the problem areas. Full self driving beta needs to be supervised and when it does something stupid you need to take over immediately, not wait and see what it does especially when there’s a guy behind you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could have had full self driving beta which does stop signs and traffic lights. Standard autopilot will not stop for flashing yellow. Mine would slow for a flashing yellow sometimes but I just ride the accelerator to stop it from slowing in the problem areas. Full self driving beta needs to be supervised and when it does something stupid you need to take over immediately, not wait and see what it does especially when there’s a guy behind you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s gotta be hard to trust the first few times you use it!

Top Bottom