Gore-Tex is a marketing gimmick !

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like Ryan from Fnine but sometime his geekiness and possibly lack of true life experience gets the better of him. Youtubers, cut from similar cloth.
I've used GoreTex gear for years, from marine to sleds to bikes and never has it failed me at the worst of times.
I have also used many of the non GoreTex gear that have failed eventually. The best examples of this is motorcycle travel. 100km/hr for 8-10hrs in the pelting rain is enough to test any gear. I have yet to ever get wet with my Klim GoreTex gear. But I cannot say the same with my Alpine Star touring jacket and boots with the Drystar system. Their version of rain protection.
Yes I have to agree there are other system next to pulling over a plastic bag, but I don't agree with the majority are being fooled, when it works. When your on the seat of a motorcycle for hours on end in bad weather, I doubt your going to give a rats of the cost of your gear if your dry and comfy. But you will once your wet kick yourself for being cheap.
I do agree with Ryan in the fact that you don't need Goretex, there is options out there for less money. What it boils down to is what you are going to do with it.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my take on it was that he's not saying gore tex doesn't work in terms of waterproofing but more that the ads would have you believe that moisture from sweat is magically removed by the technology. for that to happen there needs to be a pressure differential between outside of your clothing and underneath your clothing and there isn't.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That kid spent so much time making a vid and to me it seems, does not understand the product, or doesn’t have alot of life skills.
It does keep water out and it does breath. A rubber raincoat keeps water out and does not breathe. So its a fine line to have water resistance and breathability. Alot of our gear has vent zippers to allow excessive inside moisture out.
Leaving the truck in the rain and sledding in wet snow all day and I am only damp from sweat, I will take goretex or the other products anyday.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Almost 2 million youtube subscribers. Must have a couple life skills lol

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would not classify that as having life skills. Trudeau is good at spewing BS and people follow him.

I watched the vid, Maybe he should try going for a hike in a rain suit and see what jacket he would prefer wearing. So I would not classify goretex as a gimmick that the kid claimed. When it actually works as advertised, I don’t think anyone of us on here would have riding gear without that type of membrane in it.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trudeau is prime minister of canada. Talking to people and convincing them to do stuff is a life skill. A very important one.

I didnt watch the video. Dont care too. If you need a sled jacket, buy what ever you feel is best.

My 2 cents...

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not sure id consider trying gortex out in real life snowmobiling an important life skill though. Lol

Last edited:

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if the fact that gore tex sort of works as advertised is controversial just wait till you see what he demonstrates about seafoam.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if the fact that gore tex sort of works as advertised is controversial just wait till you see what he demonstrates about seafoam.

I swear sea foam is the reason the metal fuel line under the hood in my 12 valve started leaking.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That kid spent so much time making a vid and to me it seems, does not understand the product, or doesn’t have alot of life skills.
It does keep water out and it does breath. A rubber raincoat keeps water out and does not breathe. So its a fine line to have water resistance and breathability. Alot of our gear has vent zippers to allow excessive inside moisture out.
Leaving the truck in the rain and sledding in wet snow all day and I am only damp from sweat, I will take goretex or the other products anyday.
Need to watch it again ...it does repel water and it does breath .. claim he disputes is that it can do both simultaneously ...seems like he has more than enough "life skills" and bike experience to be credible ...
Mild days with precip it's easy enough to know that it doesn't "breath" as well when it's dry/cold

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Goretex works exactly as advertised and so does eVent fabric. I currently own and use both and as good as Goretex is, I’ll give the edge to eVent. Both are fantastic, game changing products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the prob with gore tex is that it's effectiveness is significantly reduced when it's wet outside. it's still waterproof but the ability of it to release moisture and keep the user dry is significantly impacted. it works fine in dry, cold conditions which is why it's so popular with the snow sports crowd. another thing is that all these products rely heavily on DWR (Durable Water Repellent) chemicals for their waterproofing as opposed to the gore tex or similar tech itself and these must be replenished periodically.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the prob with gore tex is that it's effectiveness is significantly reduced when it's wet outside. it's still waterproof but the ability of it to release moisture and keep the user dry is significantly impacted. it works fine in dry, cold conditions which is why it's so popular with the snow sports crowd. another thing is that all these products rely heavily on DWR (Durable Water Repellent) chemicals for their waterproofing as opposed to the gore tex or similar tech itself and these must be replenished periodically.
When your body is hot there is a positive pressure created, while in a raining cool situation breathability still happens but at a slower rate, the entire garment is not submerged under water LOL. NON GoreTex, same thing happens but 100% of that heat is trapped. Now thank goodness for VENTS, opening up a couple of vents will help, on Non Goretex garment and Goretex garment.
Nearly 100% of long distance ADV riders use Goretex gear, very few do not. There are a lot more ADV riders out there then sledders and I can say truly that all would not trade their gear for NON GoreTex.
What Ryan doesn't touch on is the fact that GoreTex only REAL down fall has nothing to do with performance, even though he is grasping at straws on performance, but has to do with its environmental impact.
GoreTex, essentially silicone, is non-recyclable, will not decompose and will not burn. Once a garment ends up in our landfill, it will remain there for 1000's of years. Its not an environmentally friendly product thus why many outdoor gear companies are slowly phasing them out and looking into other good options.
A fine example of this is Fjallraven, unfortunately they do not get involved in powersports, so Goretex remains.

Correction to the above post, Teflon not Silicone.

Last edited:

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the dwr chemicals that all high end garment waterproofing relies on are forever chemicals.
from my reading gore tex is stretched teflon, not silicone.
speaking of the toxicity of teflon, this movie is great "Dark Waters". it's about the lawyer that took on DuPont.
my experience/somewhat dim view is my experience with gore tex in the military. we had access to all the high end names arc,teryx, helly hansen, north face, etc. pretty much whatever we wanted to T&E (test and evaluate)above what was issued. our opinion was that it worked in terms of water repellency but not in venting humidity away from us but to be fair, we were engaged in physically demanding training/ops typically around water.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the dwr chemicals that all high end garment waterproofing relies on are forever chemicals.
from my reading gore tex is stretched teflon, not silicone.
speaking of the toxicity of teflon, this movie is great "Dark Waters". it's about the lawyer that took on DuPont.
my experience/somewhat dim view is my experience with gore tex in the military. we had access to all the high end names arc,teryx, helly hansen, north face, etc. pretty much whatever we wanted to T&E (test and evaluate)above what was issued. our opinion was that it worked in terms of water repellency but not in venting humidity away from us but to be fair, we were engaged in physically demanding training/ops typically around water.
Ya, that was a brain fart on my part, I meant teflon and put down silicone LOL.
I saw that movie, great show.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s funny how people need a ‘YouTube’ video for others to make there own educated decision…. Sad day boys!

Might be better than spending thousands of dollars trying different things out?

Youtube is awesome.

Top Bottom