Alberta Energy Usage Grid

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BC gets it's power from Montana as well when our power demands are exceeded in cold weather. And the NDP almost succeeded in closing down site C dam for their more preferred power "Solar and wind" which hardly produce any power when it's needed in cold weather. I am sure it will take no time for EV's power demands to overwhelm Site C output and then it's back to Montana's outdated Coal fired plants.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BC gets it's power from Montana as well when our power demands are exceeded in cold weather. And the NDP almost succeeded in closing down site C dam for their more preferred power "Solar and wind" which hardly produce any power when it's needed in cold weather. I am sure it will take no time for EV's power demands to overwhelm Site C output and then it's back to Montana's outdated Coal fired plants.

So does Alberta, problem is when the tie line is actively bringing in power from another state or province the prices are very high, and large consumers like industry pay the brunt of that along with small consumers ie.) homeowners paying their share . The tie lines are active everyday nowadays, 10 years ago they were barely active, was always a only as last resort source years ago, now it’s as the wind and solar supporter Trudeau says “the new norm”. We have more power generation potential in Alberta than 10 years ago but the inefficiency of the sources is greater than ever before. Tough times ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When the new combined cycle plant in Edson gets put on line it will bring another 900mw to the grid. Solar and wind do not cut if, its too unreliable, and we need more combined cycle plants built, along with storage facilities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It will help but will be offset with another coal plant going offline and more Gas generating facilities being scaled back. Was all part of the set out green plan the NDP started that one election when our province F*cked up. Yes coal was being scaled back before that but the phase out was exponentially sped up by the NDP’s reign of terror

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the coal plants were fazed out to Natural gas at Genesee but see there is still coal on two plants being currently converted for 2024.
https://www.capitalpower.com/about-genesee/

Yep two still remain and will be phased out in the next while and converted to gas fired steam. Gas fired steam can be more easily ran at lower outputs than coal with way less facility manpower, and will be, just like they run all the other ex coal plants that were converted. You’ll notice the gas fired steam plants always running at lower than rated capacity that’s Aeso’s strategy of max profits/MW

RJP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sure it will take no time for EV's power demands to overwhelm Site C output and then it's back to Montana's outdated Coal fired plants.

How are Montana’s coal plants outdated?

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Show me the proof.

Probably not worth his time, I show you real proof they don’t work worth the $hit, and the record losses were going through right now because of lack of power and massive price hikes don’t lie either and you still think wind will save the world. 18 years in the business of using lots of power and playing all the power sharing games and this is by far so much worse than ever before

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How are Montana’s coal plants outdated?
I had read an article about 4 years back that said they restarted an older plant to supply the demand needed. I could not find that article so maybe that plant is closed for good. I guess i should have check first before stating an outdated plant. Oh wait i think this was the article.

RJP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had read an article about 4 years back that said they restarted an older plant to supply the demand needed. I could not find that article so maybe that plant is closed for good. I guess i should have check first before stating an outdated plant. Oh wait i think this was the article.

This article still does not back your statement of Montana coal plants being outdated.

Even if they restarted some old coal plant as you say they did, the plant would still have to operate under a permit and stay in compliance with current regulations set by the EPA and to Montana Department of Environmental Quality.
If you believe anything else its a false narrative by the greenies.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys will be getting the power from the same states BC does, and a lot of those plants are old and outdated. I am not saying coal fired plants cannot be more, so called green than the wind farms and solar plants by any means. The coal plant your NDP shut down was a big mistake. And here is an article worth looking at.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably not worth his time, I show you real proof they don’t work worth the $hit, and the record losses were going through right now because of lack of power and massive price hikes don’t lie either and you still think wind will save the world. 18 years in the business of using lots of power and playing all the power sharing games and this is by far so much worse than ever before

So the lack of generating capacity in the province and price gouging by the traditional coal and natural gas generators is the fault of wind power producers?

Pool prices in the province are lowest when wind and solar plants are producing. The higher prices come when natural gas and coal take over the capacity. Seems your financial issues lie with them, not the renewable producers.

Besides, who operates a pulp mill without onsite generation?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The provlnce having to buy power at any time from other places seems like a major issue to me.

There is no good reason we cant have enough generation capacity in Alberta to meet our needs for now and the years ahead.

Top Bottom