Justin Trudeau 'open' to $1-billion B.C. power line into Alberta....... WTF??

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it something to do with Enbridge? Theres plenty of pipelines of all sizes existing and being built all over up there that cross rivers, muskegs, mountain ranges, etc, what makes that one so bad in your opinion?

Have you ever navigated the Douglas Channel? Have you ever been to Kitimat? It is one of the most unforgiving stretches of water in the world, very narrow, extreme weather, high winds, rough water, shallow in many areas and they want us to believe its a good spot to start pumping supertankers in and out?

2nd, have you ever been in the Coastal Mountain Range they want to pass through? 70 plus feet of snow in winter, heavy heavy rainfall the rest of the year, unstable ground subject to numerous avalance and mud slides year around, virtally no quick safe access in case of spill. Yes there are plenty of pipelines all over the place, but that route has been avoided for a reason.

Just because its a fairly strait line from the fields in Alberta does not mean its the best route. Shortest does not mean safest. The west coast of BC is a very rough and extreme place by world standards, you cant just put a pin on a map and make it work.

As I have stated before the Enbridge plan is so absurd I think its a red herring and the real possibly viable plan is yet to come out.

People bring up Transmountain through Jasper Park as an example of mountain pipelines, but the simple fact is the line ran though Jasper for the same reason the highway did, it is the least challenging terrain through the Rockies, almost flat with great access.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BC has surplus power??? Why are we building a new DAM at site C ???????????????????????

Because it takes 20 plus years to build a project like Site C, from legislation to construction and the simple fact is we as consumers use more electricity as time goes on, if you done forcast future needs, suddenly you run out of supply.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you ever navigated the Douglas Channel? Have you ever been to Kitimat? It is one of the most unforgiving stretches of water in the world, very narrow, extreme weather, high winds, rough water, shallow in many areas and they want us to believe its a good spot to start pumping supertankers in and out?

2nd, have you ever been in the Coastal Mountain Range they want to pass through? 70 plus feet of snow in winter, heavy heavy rainfall the rest of the year, unstable ground subject to numerous avalance and mud slides year around, virtally no quick safe access in case of spill. Yes there are plenty of pipelines all over the place, but that route has been avoided for a reason.

Just because its a fairly strait line from the fields in Alberta does not mean its the best route. Shortest does not mean safest. The west coast of BC is a very rough and extreme place by world standards, you cant just put a pin on a map and make it work.

As I have stated before the Enbridge plan is so absurd I think its a red herring and the real possibly viable plan is yet to come out.

People bring up Transmountain through Jasper Park as an example of mountain pipelines, but the simple fact is the line ran though Jasper for the same reason the highway did, it is the least challenging terrain through the Rockies, almost flat with great access.
Pipe lines are safer than trucking or rail , in fact 4.5 times safer ... If you want to protect our environment ( & economy) let's find a route and get it done .....

If anyone disagrees with this , they have motives other this our environment .

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it something to do with Enbridge? Theres plenty of pipelines of all sizes existing and being built all over up there that cross rivers, muskegs, mountain ranges, etc, what makes that one so bad in your opinion?

Joholio, what makes this one different is that none of the pipelines you are trying to compare the Northern Gateway to will have massive tankers trying to navigate extremely treacherous waters with thousands of barrels of bitumen on board.

Should have read a little further, Tom answered this much better than I :rolleyes:

Last edited:

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pipe lines are safer than trucking or rail , in fact 4.5 times safer ... If you want to protect our environment ( & economy) let's find a route and get it done .....

If anyone disagrees with this , they have motives other this our environment .

I believe the Transmountain is a far, far better option than Northern Gateway. Unfortunately this province is at the mercy of the lower mainland and I fear that they will cause so much sh@t that there is a chance of it not going through.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ndp is shutting down the coal fired power plants... Even though most countries that have tried other alternatives are now going back to coal, because of the incredible research and excellent exhaust reburn etc for ultra clean coal fired plants... Alberta has one such plant and saskatchewan has one and converting another to clean. So, we really don't need bc power. Truedope will approve a billion $ power line, but won't approve pipelines to coastal waters for alberta! Pfffft

And here is the irony......we will shut down all of our own super clean, technologically advanced coal fired power plants to be "greener", yet there is no problem at all digging it out of the ground as fast as we can and shipping it to China where they could give a rats ass about the environment. The coal is going to get burned....might as well be by those with advanced technology.

If a person wanted to appease the do-gooder crowd.....throw a carbon tax on the coal burned and use that money to fund research and development on cleaner options that are viable.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Joholio, what makes this one different is that none of the pipelines you are trying to compare the Northern Gateway to will have massive tankers trying to navigate extremely treacherous waters with thousands of barrels of bitumen on board.

Should have read a little further, Tom answered this much better than I :rolleyes:

I have never been up much past my inlaws at 100 Mile House, so I don't know what its like other than looking at a map. However, I doo see many huge tankers navigating the Fraser each time I have been in the GVA. Would Prince Rupert be a better alternative to avoid coming inland with the ships to Kitimat?

I'm not being sarcastic, I have no experience in the region, just conversation. NE BC's oil needs to move too, not just Alberta's and the fact is, the trainloads of oil travelling the valleys pose a much larger risk than an inanimate buried pipeline built with the newest technologies and corrosion defenses, regardless of where it gets built.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our site C dam is still in the Court system, between the Indians and David Suzuki they are hell bent on seeing this project die, just like they did to the oil pipeline. Trudeau was told last fall to get on the softwood agreement something only he can do, and what has he done so far.....nothing. If this deal does not go through we are dead too. So do not blame your problems on BC, your the idiots who voted in a NDP government, and voted out Harper at the same time, the best federal leader we have ever had. We deserve to go down the **** hole in my opinion.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

YOU DO MEAN THE KITIMAT FJORD, RIGHT? THE SAME ONE THE EUROCAR SUPERSHIPS USE AND UNLOAD IN KITIMAT.... AND THE ALCAN SMELTER PLANT??
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/40288725

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
and here is the irony......we will shut down all of our own super clean, technologically advanced coal fired power plants to be "greener", yet there is no problem at all digging it out of the ground as fast as we can and shipping it to china where they could give a rats ass about the environment. The coal is going to get burned....might as well be by those with advanced technology.

If a person wanted to appease the do-gooder crowd.....throw a carbon tax on the coal burned and use that money to fund research and development on cleaner options that are viable.

deaner for premier of alberta!!

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our site C dam is still in the Court system, between the Indians and David Suzuki they are hell bent on seeing this project die, just like they did to the oil pipeline. Trudeau was told last fall to get on the softwood agreement something only he can do, and what has he done so far.....nothing. If this deal does not go through we are dead too. So do not blame your problems on BC, your the idiots who voted in a NDP government, and voted out Harper at the same time, the best federal leader we have ever had. We deserve to go down the **** hole in my opinion.
Pretty sure there were a few BC people voted against Harper ....hahaha.
The Indians can go to court forever, to blackmail us for more $$$ !!!!
After all, we pay their lawyers bills so they can fight against us ...
The current way it's set up now , it is in such a way that the prime minister does not have to come out and say "NO" or even pick a side ! ( not good politics) he just lets the greenies & natives drag it out untill the cost to get it approved is just too much to make the project viable !

Knowing full well the project will never go ahead ;JT gets no chit on his hands ....
he has taken apage out of Obama's book.

But it's "give the young guy a chance ,what could go wrong they said ...."
LMFAO

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YOU DO MEAN THE KITIMAT FJORD, RIGHT? THE SAME ONE THE EUROCAR SUPERSHIPS USE AND UNLOAD IN KITIMAT.... AND THE ALCAN SMELTER PLANT??

Those ships are a fraction of the size of an oil supertanker. As of right now there are no supertankers allowed in the Douglas Channel or Hecate Strait. There has been freighter traffic though the strait for many years, but nothing rivaling the size of an oil supertanker.

As an example the largest ship allowed to navigate the Douglas Channel is 320000 DWT, the supertankers they want to use range from 440000 to 540000 DWT, almost double in size. The max allowable size is based on depth, width and possible navigation problems.

Enbridge wants us to believe that suddenly the Douglas Channel has mysteriously become deeper, wider and less severe weather conditions.

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only way Alberta should agree to a power line from B.C., is if Alberta gets a percentage of the profit from all the power generated from the project. All the trees that would be cut down for the power line right of way will decrease the amount of CO2 that our forests can absorb, accelerating climate change exponentially.
Also, some of the trees that will be removed are undoubtedly sacred to the " First Nation peoples", as many moons ago as they roamed the west following the Buffalo, they stopped to take a dump under the boughs of the sacred pooping trees.
Add to that, the sight of transmission towers in the valleys will taint the pristine views of rainbows after a rain shower. This interference of rainbows is a direct insult to the LGBTQ and cannot be allowed.
The nerve of the people of B.C. That think they can ignore climate change, sacred First Nation pooping sites and the sensitivities of homosexual and transvestite hikers from Alberta. What a bunch of narrow minded, greedy insensitive people!!!

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
years ago I had the pleasure of taking a Dutch freighter ship from New York to Athens which took 18 days. The ship was around 300000 DWT so not very big in comparison to the super tankers. During the voyage thru the Strait of Gibraltar the ship's radar crapped out. It was 2 AM and very foggy outside. The captain ordered all 14 passengers plus crew members to move to the centre of the ship and also prepare the life boats for possible collition with other ships passing thru the Strait which is approx 15 km wide. They were also using the large lights with shutters to signal all other vessels that we were near by. Keep in mind that there is very little manoeuvrability required to go thru the Strait from the Atlantic into the Med. Anyway, I cant imagine a supertanker performing the same under less the desired circumstances thru the BC coastal waters around P.R. which in my opinion is way riskier than the Strait of Gibraltar. No oil is worth the risk. On the hand hand, I do support expanding the Transmountain line to Vancouver.

Those ships are a fraction of the size of an oil supertanker. As of right now there are no supertankers allowed in the Douglas Channel or Hecate Strait. There has been freighter traffic though the strait for many years, but nothing rivaling the size of an oil supertanker.

As an example the largest ship allowed to navigate the Douglas Channel is 320000 DWT, the supertankers they want to use range from 440000 to 540000 DWT, almost double in size. The max allowable size is based on depth, width and possible navigation problems.

Enbridge wants us to believe that suddenly the Douglas Channel has mysteriously become deeper, wider and less severe weather conditions.

Last edited:

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And here is the irony......we will shut down all of our own super clean, technologically advanced coal fired power plants to be "greener", yet there is no problem at all digging it out of the ground as fast as we can and shipping it to China where they could give a rats ass about the environment. The coal is going to get burned....might as well be by those with advanced technology.

This is the reality when foreign companies buy up our resource companies. Ship away our raw stock so other countries can employ their people making products for us to buy.....

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The coal thing is nothing to do with foreign company's lol, more like a lack of foresight by a overwhelmed government !

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only way Alberta should agree to a power line from B.C., is if Alberta gets a percentage of the profit from all the power generated from the project. All the trees that would be cut down for the power line right of way will decrease the amount of CO2 that our forests can absorb, accelerating climate change exponentially.
Also, some of the trees that will be removed are undoubtedly sacred to the " First Nation peoples", as many moons ago as they roamed the west following the Buffalo, they stopped to take a dump under the boughs of the sacred pooping trees.
Add to that, the sight of transmission towers in the valleys will taint the pristine views of rainbows after a rain shower. This interference of rainbows is a direct insult to the LGBTQ and cannot be allowed.
The nerve of the people of B.C. That think they can ignore climate change, sacred First Nation pooping sites and the sensitivities of homosexual and transvestite hikers from Alberta. What a bunch of narrow minded, greedy insensitive people!!!

Holy cow that is the funniest thing I have read on here in a long time. And even funnier because it is pretty much true!

Top Bottom