Alberta Energy Usage Grid

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
This is interesting to see the current power grid usage for the entire province. Currently Edmonton area is at 33 deg, the power is at 11027 MW we are over what we are producing by 255 Megawatts and getting extra from mainly Montana .

Genesee Coal Power is producing decent power for the grid. Keephills gas powered are very high. This is live and updates every few minutes.

http://ets.aeso.ca/ets_web/ip/Market/Reports/CSDReportServlet

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Summer or winter, we always produce less than we need. This is by design with our mainly fossil fuel power plants. Our max generation capacity is nearly double what we are using today.

RJP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here another that show’s average power prices by area(not Alberta).
NWestern US is behind on mega watts as well.
Hit demand tab and scroll down on trends, so much solar in California during the day that they are giving it away but at night they need 15k MW to ramp up right now but they are short big time. But they did it to themselves by shuttering coal plants.

RJP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Note the spot prices in Montana are high, whatever is getting sold to Alberta if its not contracted is expensive right now.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Note the spot prices in Montana are high, whatever is getting sold to Alberta if its not contracted is expensive right now.

They're still making money hand over fist selling Montana Spot to Alberta, Spot Price in Alberta is $487.44/mwh right now. It peaked at $999.99/mwh (the highest it can go) for 3 hours over supper time.

This AESO site has the pool price as well:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alberta will be one of the largest markets for Energy Storage Investment on the continent, buying electricity at $50/mwh during the night to sell at $999.99/mwh during the evening peak.

Just need to find a way to store it. At that price differential you could even make money buying a commercial Tesla Megapack and cycling it once per day.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I play that power bullch!t everyday at work, it’s basically ran like a mafia would run a business. It’s corrupt as all hell and the government could care less. If something doesn’t change soon with how they operate the grid and produce power there won’t be any pulp mills, and manufacturing facilities left in Alberta. The governments plan of replacing efficient reliable power sources with wind and solar is not working at all. The provinces wind generation capacity is 3823 MW, it averages less than 10% of its operating capacity throughout the year. Break even price on power to pulp cost is like a tiny town on the interstate, if you blink you will miss your chance at seeing it as we are only at a cheap enough price for 4-6 hrs a day for the last 6 months. Super surprised that this thread got 8 posts in and hurkot hasn’t jumped in here to say how wind is an amazing form of power, and that as a farmer he knows more about the grid than everyone because he has a Tesla and an electric ranger. Usually he’s posting google screenshots of a power producing graph for black spring ridge and bragging up how awesome it is and that we should build wind farms everywhere. Black spring ridge is the biggest wind farm in Alberta and has a potential for 300MW, it maybe averages 20% of that. The green wave will kill Alberta’s economy and there is nothing we can do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I play that power bullch!t everyday at work, it’s basically ran like a mafia would run a business. It’s corrupt as all hell and the government could care less. If something doesn’t change soon with how they operate the grid and produce power there won’t be any pulp mills, and manufacturing facilities left in Alberta. The governments plan of replacing efficient reliable power sources with wind and solar is not working at all. The provinces wind generation capacity is 3823 MW, it averages less than 10% of its operating capacity throughout the year. Break even price on power to pulp cost is like a tiny town on the interstate, if you blink you will miss your chance at seeing it as we are only at a cheap enough price for 4-6 hrs a day for the last 6 months. Super surprised that this thread got 8 posts in and hurkot hasn’t jumped in here to say how wind is an amazing form of power, and that as a farmer he knows more about the grid than everyone because he has a Tesla and an electric ranger. Usually he’s posting google screenshots of a power producing graph for black spring ridge and bragging up how awesome it is and that we should build wind farms everywhere. Black spring ridge is the biggest wind farm in Alberta and has a potential for 300MW, it maybe averages 20% of that. The green wave will kill Alberta’s economy and there is nothing we can do

ce64c5406735240306bee291b3a54c56.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another stellar day for black spring, and wind in general, and this pic is not a company paid for graph with colours and pictures to appease children……… it’s real time and the norm
0a657894397404bc480e45855396ede0.jpg

6a0993447c4955a6ba57f8644e25d5ce.jpg

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another stellar day for black spring, and wind in general, and this pic is not a company paid for graph with colours and pictures to appease children……… it’s real time and the norm
0a657894397404bc480e45855396ede0.jpg

6a0993447c4955a6ba57f8644e25d5ce.jpg

Oh dang I guess that one picture invalidates the 5 billion kWh they have produced.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh dang I guess that one picture invalidates the 5 billion kWh they have produced.

Keep charging your Tesla and maybe hook it up to yourself, your internal power system is failing………

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When the new combined cycle plant in Edson gets put on line it will bring another 900mw to the grid. Solar and wind do not cut if, its too unreliable, and we need more combined cycle plants built, along with storage facilities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom