Golden and area riding conditons for 2014-2015

alberta chad

Reaction score
Coming to Golden mid week next for 2 days of riding while passing thru. Haven't been in area much.
If anyone could give some insight to which areas can still be accessed and have a good chance of some decent riding still, would be greatly appreciated.
Will be driving up with sled deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aderry

Reaction score
Coming to Golden mid week next for 2 days of riding while passing thru. Haven't been in area much.
If anyone could give some insight to which areas can still be accessed and have a good chance of some decent riding still, would be greatly appreciated.
Will be driving up with sled deck.

I rode gorman and silent the last two days. You could drive up to snow at both places, the snow was better in Gorman not great, but typical spring riding. The further you go back into Gorman the better it gets. Silent was pretty tracked out all over.

moto17

Reaction score
Rode Quartz today. Rode from parking lot but no real snow until mile 6. Couple machines over heated. Riding up there was okay. But pretty tracked up. Typical spring

Panzerdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
We went to silent pass this weekend the snow was 2-3 feet of powder in places this hill slid as I was sidehilling towards it I think the new snow is not sticking to the layer below

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 186312View attachment 186314View attachment 186315
We went to silent pass this weekend the snow was 2-3 feet of powder in places this hill slid as I was sidehilling towards it I think the new snow is not sticking to the layer below
That's what happens yes, with the conditions the way they are , y would u get close and side hill that

Either u didn't take avy training or u missed the info period

That's the perfect hill to slide, just saying

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know you shouldn't take avys lightly but we were there Sunday, the only thing moving was the cotton-candy light fresh stuff. Being in the way of something that could get a lot of speed, no matter how light, wouldn't be good obviously. We played on those same slopes.

srxhair

Reaction score

Would you able to drive to the snow to unload with a 2 or 3 place enclosed trailer? How muddy would the truck be?

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Parking was still at the McMurdo bridge. Trail was fully covered in snow from there on. On Sunday the road was dusty down low and surface mud up high from fresh precip. There were no mud holes to worry about but there is a spot, marked with some ribbon on the bushes, where a culvert is collapsed forming an inverted speed bump. Taking a four place up wouldn't have been a problem.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know you shouldn't take avys lightly but we were there Sunday, the only thing moving was the cotton-candy light fresh stuff. Being in the way of something that could get a lot of speed, no matter how light, wouldn't be good obviously. We played on those same slopes.

Yes, in my snow pit (saturday though, not sunday) I saw the same thing (not in the same zone). Dug @ about 7100' , down to ground. Slope aspect: E-NE as prevailing wind in our zone was from the W-NW, so dug the windloaded lee side. Convex roll, averaged between 32-40 degrees slope. Temp was about -3C. Total depth was about 2.5 m deep, bottom layers well bonded, you can still see some of the faint persistent layers in the snowpack, but they were pretty bonded where we looked at them, couldn't get them to fracture in the column, just the top stuff. The upper layer of new windblown snow was sitting on a hard crust, and simply not bonding.

The older layer was well bonded and consolidated, the temperature gradient was 2 degrees between the old and new so good reason that they hadn't joined. If you were playing around on certain slopes and aspects, you could set off a few small "runners" that was the top layer sloughing off next to your track, didn't see anything quite as big as the one above, but we had some huge cornices above us so we stayed away from most of the big slopes, but they would have probably slid like that if someone poked them.

Sunday we tried to punch into another new zone but the road wound up being a bust as a major creek crossing needed some loving that we were not prepared to tackle on a Sunday afternoon, we were 3 weeks too late I think this year, could have been a fun day with another 2 ft of snow......most other years it would have been perfect right now. Sleds were getting hot at the bottom, too much mud. Thought I was done, but now thinking I might try for 1 more ride if I get a longer snowflap!

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
snow was still good yestrdy. ok down low was spring but up top base is great and climbing everything.
this weekend will be full on spring me thinks.

I laugh at how many people gave up on this season long ago.
sundy week ago was best day of the season for me ...

Top Bottom