Going to court on Jan 14th 10am!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To support my sledding buddy Brian Knight. He is a good man with a great family. My wife and I will be there! Please come and show your support! Thx

Mac Daddy

Reaction score
so what is he requiring legal defense for? not sure what this is about?

Home | Financial Post | News | Opinion | Arts | Life | Sports | Homes | Cars | Blogs | Multimedia | Classifieds

Main | About | Contact Editor | Subscribe RSS

Counterpoint: Shooting an unarmed thief is not self-defence, even in Alberta
Posted: April 15, 2009, 8:00 AM by NP Editor
By now, most of you will be familiar with the Brian Knight affair, at least in its broad outlines. In the early hours of March 26, Knight, a central Alberta farmer, saw three suspicious-looking characters messing around with his all-terrain vehicle. When one of them took off on the quad, Knight promptly mounted his steed (a white Honda Accord) and chased the malefactors off his land, before allegedly ramming the stolen ATV off the road.

Then, as one of the bandits attempted to scurry away, Knight “exited his car and discharged two rounds to the suspect with his shotgun,” according to Sergeant Jim Lank of the RCMP. Now everyone involved is facing a slew of charges. The three jokers were booked for theft, while Knight himself faces allegations of criminal negligence causing bodily harm, assault and dangerous driving.

The events of that chilly morning were weird enough. But the public response to this gruesome business has been truly extraordinary. The good people of Alberta’s Bashaw/Tees area snapped into action, establishing a legal defence fund for Knight, and circulating a petition, which states, tersely: “A man has the right to protect his family and property.”

To gauge the public mood, just have a glance at some of the Web-posted comments attached to the Red Deer Advocate’s coverage of the story. “There are strict penalties for stealing, one of which is that you forfeit your life,” opines one contributor. “The cops are useless, except when it comes to arresting the victim for trying to protect him/herself. Shoot, shovel and shut up.”

Well-known figures in the Alberta media leapt up to express their support for the embattled vigilante. Lorne Gunter worried that our legal system has gone “topsy-turvy,” and implored the authorities not to prosecute the farmer. Writing on these pages earlier this month, Colby Cosh anointed Knight a veritable provincial hero. “Only in Alberta are homeowners armed, and ready to shoot straight,” he wrote. “Only in Alberta are we not content to sit quietly and wait for the police to arrive and copy serial numbers.”
To which I would add: Only in Alberta do we blithely dispense with “due process” and the rest of that bureaucratic bunk the moment it becomes inconvenient. Seriously, who can be bothered with collecting serial numbers and “evidence” when you can shoot the varmint in the back with a shotgun?

Even Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach got in on the action. “I certainly feel the frustration of the owner,” Stelmach said last Friday. Perhaps the Premier should consider investing provincial funds in a giant bat-signal: rather than wasting their time with the RCMP or other law enforcement agencies, victims of crime can call the Dark Knight to swoop in, shotgun a-blazin’.
But let’s get serious for a second: These people are dead wrong. Gunter, Cosh and Stelmach framed the issue as one of self-defence when clearly it is not. Knight was not defending himself when he actively chased down the perpetrator, ran him off the road and shotgunned the unarmed man.

Cosh appeals to John Locke, who argued that property is an extension of one’s self because it is derived from labour. But Locke was a deeply religious and moral thinker who argued that the state was necessary to provide a “neutral judge” for the protection of the lives and material possessions of its citizens. John Locke — and I never thought the day would come when I would be forced to write a sentence such as this one — would not have advocated shooting someone who stole your ATV.
Injuria non excusat injuriam. Two wrongs don’t make a right. Amidst all the deafening chest-thumping surrounding the Brian Knight case, this quiet truth, grasped intuitively by the youngest of children, bears repeating.
National Post

Read more: Counterpoint: Shooting an unarmed thief is not self-defence, even in Alberta - Full Comment

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the man deserves a medal ....NOT PROSECUTION! Not all that long ago when someone stole your horse...they linched them...wasn't too many horse theifs around...figure?!.thats the whole problem to our legal system....they protect the criminal....only in Canada!

how many others would have done the same? enough is enough....maybe the laws will change and start making it BAD enough on these arse holes that they won't want to steal in the first place!

I got blown outta a crab apple tree when I was akid stealin apples....410 loaded with salt....never even told my parents....and never went back for anymore apples either!

I'm in and will make a donation to this man cause!

Last edited:

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I made a donation already. I agree with badss, this guy deserves a friggin medal.

There is fawk all wrong with protecting your property from thieving bastages like these punks.

I wouldn't hesitate.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I made a donation not long after this all went down. That whole deal just sickens me. This country has gotten beyond the point where the criminals have more rights than property owners. A line has to be drawn in the sand.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I made a donation not long after this all went down. That whole deal just sickens me. This country has gotten beyond the point where the criminals have more rights than property owners. A line has to be drawn in the sand.

As far as I am concerned there is a line and its right around my property, everything on the inside of that line is what I work my ass off for and to OWN with the money I earned to PAY for it.

Step inside the line with the intentions of stealing it and see what happens......

As far as I am concerned, when you have the intent to enter said property to steal said paid for items, you have NO RIGHTS..........

2 RIDGEBACKS

Reaction score
As far as I am concerned there is a line and its right around my property, everything on the inside of that line is what I work my ass off for and to OWN with the money I earned to PAY for it.

Step inside the line with the intentions of stealing it and see what happens......

As far as I am concerned, when you have the intent to enter said property to steal said paid for items, you have NO RIGHTS..........

Perfectly said i couldn't agree more,he should also be reimbursed by the court for the cost of the shells,if the scumbags wern't there stealing they wouldnt get shot well done that man

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one was shot and wounded, but he managed to get away and steal a truck which he crashed

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
justice yeah right, the thieves were all walking on the street not much after seein the judge. the nice lads were only charged with 1 count of theft, knight got an armful. police like to lay as many charges that they can so 1 or 2 will stick. how about the little angels move in next to you macd so you can see every day, how the boys are improving and when stuff disappears you can say BOYS WILL BE BOYS. this country is the way it is because of bleeding liberal fellas like you.
BRING OUT RED NECK ALBERTA.

friggin bleeding hearts.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
justice yeah right, the thieves were all walking on the street not much after seein the judge. the nice lads were only charged with 1 count of theft, knight got an armful. police like to lay as many charges that they can so 1 or 2 will stick. how about the little angels move in next to you macd so you can see every day, how the boys are improving and when stuff disappears you can say BOYS WILL BE BOYS. this country is the way it is because of bleeding liberal fellas like you.
BRING OUT RED NECK ALBERTA.

friggin bleeding hearts.

Mac D posted a story out of the National post, not sure why you're getting all redneck on him....He didn't write it.

tranquillicer

Reaction score
Perfectly said i couldn't agree more,he should also be reimbursed by the court for the cost of the shells,if the scumbags wern't there stealing they wouldnt get shot well done that man
How about he gets re embursed for the cost of his lawyer too and every day he has to miss work and all his travel expenses......typical crock of s&$t criminal code stuff. Crown press charges and you pay to defend yourself against some one that was stealing from you. Guess who is the only one here that is not receiving a wage while this bs all goes down? In fact he is paying a lawyer to defend himself against a criminal that was stealing from him. Look at the poor slob in Toronto that cuaght the scum bag for the second time in two hrs stealing from him. Ties him up and throws him in a van till police show up,,,,6HRS LATER and then they charge him for "unlawfull confinement" He pays to defend himself and takes time from his business to be in court etc and he is given complete discharge. The thief has a life time of offenses yet he is allowed to file charges against a guy he is stealing from.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No different than a cop shooting someone that he "thought " had a weapon. How did Mr.Knight know the dude was not armed? For all he knew the guy could have opened up on him.

If he loses this case, we lose all our rights, to protect what is ours....family, posessions...everything we've worked for

my $0.02

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mac D posted a story out of the National post, not sure why you're getting all redneck on him....He didn't write it.

he did post it, can't be a redneck if he posts like that. no comment just the artical

Last edited:

2 RIDGEBACKS

Reaction score
No different than a cop shooting someone that he "thought " had a weapon. How did Mr.Knight know the dude was not armed? For all he knew the guy could have opened up on him.

If he loses this case, we lose all our rights, to protect what is ours....family, posessions...everything we've worked for

my $0.02
All cop killers, muggers, rapists,murderers and kiddie fiddlers and thieving scumbags should be shot cheaper than keeping them in jail.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seen in the red deer paper that the rcmp are going to be practicing financial restraint, hmm what does that mean. likely not responding to any minor calls, theft, murders, assaults, rapes etc, but will step up enforcement in photo radar and traffic tickets, all criminals will have to pass by a timmies on the way out of red deer and may report to said law enforcement at there leisure, just not at 8, 10am or 12, 2 or 4pm don't want the coffee to get cold.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they still had the death penalty with no questions asked for stealing i will just about guarantee you they wouldnt have been doing it. Some how government always seems to find a way to keep scumbags like these sucking off of society like a bad tick that wont go away!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they still had the death penalty with no questions asked for stealing i will just about guarantee you they wouldnt have been doing it. Some how government always seems to find a way to keep scumbags like these sucking off of society like a bad tick that wont go away!

at least you can carry guns. to defend yourself, we just smile and say have a nice day.

Top Bottom