Gas or diesel?

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Tex as well on this one....IF you wanna get away from diesel as it seems like you want to go find a Gm truck with the 8.1L. Most are being held onto pretty close by their owners, but there are a few out there. And most will be fairly low mileage too, and will last for many many years!!:)

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe a V8, but the Cummins matched with the NV5600 and 4:10's will walk up the mountains with 20k behind it like it's not even there. And it will be able to pass gas stations, unlike that pig gasser. Go look around websites, a lot of guys are putting 30k behind there Cummins, the motor will not skip a beat and will tear the rest of the truck apart. The 8.1 would need two trucks to have a hope in hell in pulling 30k.

Just go look what kind of busses, etc that engine is in with only a few changes. Plus the Cummins will last half a million plus km's maybe even a million plus, while the gasser working that hard, you'd be lucky to see more then a few hundred thousand.

Plus the diesels are so detuned from the factory. Put $1000 into each engine, and that Cummins will awaken with only a few things and be pushing 600hp.

I'm not talking about a factory 6.7, they are garbage. Either a 5.9L or a 6.7 deleted. Or a tuned up 12v, but i'd want it to be fair! A 12v is just not a fair match......

When's the last time you seen a hotshotter with a huge gooseneck pulled by a gasser? One in a thousand? Maybe even never? Anyone pulling heavy runs a diesel, because the pulling power isn't even in the ballpark, and a diesel gets a lot better mileage. GM and Ford is a different story, because a V8 diesel will never run with a I6.

I've driven fords big gas job in a f450, it was downright pathetic. Even the ford 6 litre has more power......The GM could be 10x better and nowhere near a real diesel.

But those guys can write off all the chit that goes wrong with there Dsl's.

The average guy, even a mechanic can't keep some of the big pig Dsl's going.

Hence the 8.1 gas....

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plus most of the newer dsls are as bad or worse than a 8.1 for Mpg...The 8.1 also has the Allison and that makes a big difference comparded to a 6.0l shifting all the time and with Ur foot to the floor. The power of a 8.1 is addictive just like a cranked up Dsl. Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk
I usually run mine on manual with the paddle shift when towing in the hills, if it's in tow/haul in drive it always kicks down 2 gears and feels like it's going to rip the 5th wheel hitch out of the bed. It will easily hang with any diesel in stock trim towing comparable loads, and destroy them empty.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But those guys can write off all the chit that goes wrong with there Dsl's.

The average guy, even a mechanic can't keep some of the big pig Dsl's going.

Hence the 8.1 gas....

Don't matter if it's a write off, still paying for it. There is plenty of Cummins over a half million miles, without ever doing anything more then adjusting valve lash........It's rare to do anything before 300km. I mean, with emissions it's getting worse but most still go a lot of miles.

I mean go look on kijiji right now and see how many 600km+ trucks there are for sale. Guys don't keep them that long if they are in the shop non stop. Plus how can they be in the shop when they are racking up the km's that quickly?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't matter if it's a write off, still paying for it. There is plenty of Cummins over a half million miles, without ever doing anything more then adjusting valve lash........It's rare to do anything before 300km. I mean, with emissions it's getting worse but most still go a lot of miles.

I mean go look on kijiji right now and see how many 600km+ trucks there are for sale. Guys don't keep them that long if they are in the shop non stop. Plus how can they be in the shop when they are racking up the km's that quickly?

Mabe a old 12 v.

And possible 24 v...

But I call b/s on any of the 03 or newer 5.9 and or 6.7. Buy 300000 has to have an injector or something done...

The worst part of the dodge ownership is the rest of the p.o.s truck that falls apart.

Oh ya man u have a bonner for cummings buy the way....not sure y but an inline Dsl is not allways the best.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty opinionated fer a young feller who has been driving long enough to have maybe owned and paid for...one truck? ....maybe none? LOL. I have a buddy in town here who owns a tow truck....been doing it for as long as I've known him (20+ years). He's miled out and gotten rid of more trucks than most of us will ever see. Went through his diesel phase. He's had Dodge, Ford and GM (he's a Mopar nut BTW...and that gives away who it is for anyone in the RD area)....got sick of the stupid maintenance costs. He's been running an 8.1 GM chassis for the last 3 or 4 years and loves it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who would the mopar nut be?

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mabe a old 12 v.

And possible 24 v...

But I call b/s on any of the 03 or newer 5.9 and or 6.7. Buy 300000 has to have an injector or something done...

The worst part of the dodge ownership is the rest of the p.o.s truck that falls apart.

Oh ya man u have a bonner for cummings buy the way....not sure y but an inline Dsl is not allways the best.

12 Valve almost bulletproof, and the pre-1994 Dodges were over engineered to last....can't say the same for the 1994 and up.:rolleyes: There isnt a 24 Valve ('98.5 to '02) that gets to 300 thousand with either an injection pump or lift pump going a couple times:nono:...OR BOTH! Then there is a bunch of injector problems mostly on the 03-06.
Although my 97 has 300,000kms on a gas pot and she runs extremely well no issues other than the saggin front bumper. And this truck was rode hard and put away wet MANY MANY MANY times....lol
Again all in all that 8.1L with the allison trans. is almost unbeatable. Drove many 8.1L and wasted MANY a diesel, GM, CHRYSLER, AND FORD when the lights turned green:d!!

754bigbore

Reaction score
I have been running diesels for probly 10 years now,the newest one a 04.5 2500 dodge. I know its hard to get the fuel economy out of the newer ones. I had a 95 dodge 2500 that I worked over- pump, exhaust, CAI, injectors and it was a great truck, 25 mpg pretty consistently. But with a good programmer, ie. Smarty that advances timing, etc the fueleconomy can be brought back up in the newer ones. Coming from pulling everything from sled trailers to fifth wheel holiday trailers to enclosed trailers and fifth wheel goose necks with smallblock and big block chevys, I would never go there again after pulling with a good running diesel. I had a 72 gmc longhorn with a 402 that would not come close to any of my diesels.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been running diesels for probly 10 years now,the newest one a 04.5 2500 dodge. I know its hard to get the fuel economy out of the newer ones. I had a 95 dodge 2500 that I worked over- pump, exhaust, CAI, injectors and it was a great truck, 25 mpg pretty consistently. But with a good programmer, ie. Smarty that advances timing, etc the fueleconomy can be brought back up in the newer ones. Coming from pulling everything from sled trailers to fifth wheel holiday trailers to enclosed trailers and fifth wheel goose necks with smallblock and big block chevys, I would never go there again after pulling with a good running diesel. I had a 72 gmc longhorn with a 402 that would not come close to any of my diesels.

Lol. How can u compare a 72 402 ( guttless by the way ) to a newer Dsl or gas for that fact.

U should take a avalanche 2500 with a 8.1 for a drive. It's like a race car. But yet pulls like crazy

754bigbore

Reaction score
well the 402 was not that gutless,just saying it did not have the pulling torque of any of my 5.9 cummins. I am sure the 8.1 has a lot of power but probably uses alot of fuel. I pull a 34 foot fifth wheel, 9500 pounds empty and can get between 13-14 mpg with my 04.5 2500 dodge. To each there own. I know I won't be going back to a gasser any time soon.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we need a third fuel to make this argument even more pointless... electric motors kick the ch!t out of gas and diesel, instant power and torque.
just need to be connected to the grid haha

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we need a third fuel to make this argument even more pointless... electric motors kick the ch!t out of gas and diesel, instant power and torque.
just need to be connected to the grid haha

beotch rolling up the cord all the time.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
beotch rolling up the cord all the time.
fawk im droolin you need to upgrade to the solar pac. go to the 1300hp chipped version, way better no cords to wrap up anymore.

Top Bottom