Gas or diesel?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont know what diesel your talking about, but the Cummins takes 11.4 liters. Fuel filters cost about $10, if that makes or breaks you, I doubt you can afford to drive in the first place. Ya if you go to the dealer it costs a fortune. Air filter are within a few dollars. Won't start in the winter? This last cold spell I didn't plug it in one night it dropped below -30 started just fine, knew two people who's gasses didn't start though if a diesel has good compression and batteries it will start. Never once smelled diesel in my truck or had someone complain. I guess if your worried about smudging your lipstick a gasser might be better.

now cyle i put more miles on in a year than you would in a lifetime. you must do alot of laps around timmies eh. i definitely have owned more diesels than you ever will. and i have done more maintenance on them than you ever will. you seem to be stuck on dodge, but each his own. ford runs 17 litres of oil and you must be makin yer own filters for 10 bucks.
anyway cyle, you should try out fer that know it all show, for someone so young ya could be a winner.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now cyle i put more miles on in a year than you would in a lifetime. you must do alot of laps around timmies eh. i definitely have owned more diesels than you ever will. and i have done more maintenance on them than you ever will. you seem to be stuck on dodge, but each his own. ford runs 17 litres of oil and you must be makin yer own filters for 10 bucks.
anyway cyle, you should try out fer that know it all show, for someone so young ya could be a winner.

duramax takes 9.5 quarts, oil filter is $20ish. good for a 25 000km drain interval if running synthetic. fuel filter is $65-$75. and the fuel filer is good for approx 30 000kms. and you can change that in 5 mins pm me if you need help, so thats more than most drive in a year. where they get you is the stock air filter $110!! (2006 and after) thats why i went to a cold air intake (my only mod). recouped my cost in a year

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or they raise it anytime they can think of an excuse, good or not. I remember a few summers ago paying in the $130"s for diesel.......If fuel is near equal price and you do your own maintaince a diesel won't cost much different to run unless it needs DEF. Most of the extra cost on buying it is recouped when it's sold so is a wash.

thats true they raise it for no reason, they raise the price of gas for no reason multiple times a year and long weekends... we notice diesel going up cus most diesel owners fill pickup trucks, semis, tractors, heavy equipt., etc. so we see much more of a fluctuation due to volume than a prius owner

i spend approx $6000 a year on diesel a year for my pickup truck alone ~60 000kms a year

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
duramax takes 9.5 quarts, oil filter is $20ish. good for a 25 000km drain interval if running synthetic. fuel filter is $65-$75. and the fuel filer is good for approx 30 000kms. and you can change that in 5 mins pm me if you need help, so thats more than most drive in a year. where they get you is the stock air filter $110!! (2006 and after) thats why i went to a cold air intake (my only mod). recouped my cost in a year

if your driving less than 30k a year you definitly do not need a diesel.
just sayin. you aren't moving much anyways, so it doesn't matter how often you are hauling even then.
fyi for an example of how much i drive because you will ask it now, i bought my 09 2 yrs ago this april, just rolled over 120k last night on the way home. and i didn't really drive it that much the first 6 months as i used my car most of the time.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sweet so if i am always packin around 8-10 of them i will attract alot more ladies than your smelly diesel lolhauling lots buy the dies.gettin groceries get the gasser.had this discussion with one of my old apprentices, he wanted a diesel in the worst way they are awesome, they haul axx, they blah blah blah............... i said you will hate it takes longer to warm up in winter, burns same or more fuel, more maintenance costs, you rarely haul anything, etc same points guys have posted already. he bough his diesel this summer, then dumped another 8-10g into it for mods exhaust chips intake, fuel pum and so on.he has not drove the truck since winter started as to expensive to drive to and from work, takes to long to warm up, doesn't start worth a chit when really cold, smells like chit when idling and cold, to loud................. this is as per him when i saw him at the timmies the other day. it was one of those just look at him and smile moments.
As long as its a Cummins I love the sound of them, especially the older 12v and 24vs I could listen to them all day long. Smell never bothered me but the fumes can be annoying sometimes if unloading out of box, but gasser is the same. I don't notice the extra idiling but I'm the guy who won't drive my diesel in the summer unless it's warmed up for atleast 5 mins. The biggest reason I'm going away from a diesel is I put on maybe 15,000kms a year and it makes no sense to own a 30k plus vehicle, when I can get a nice gasser for about 10k. The warming up never bothered me, and the maintaince didn't either I ran synthetic for a year, cost a little over a hundred to change. A gasser would be 3 changes at about 30 each.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ouch I can't remember exact costs but fuel, air, and oil all under $20 each. Nice part about Cummins they don't gouge like dodge. I always did fuel filter every oil change cheap enough might as well.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now cyle i put more miles on in a year than you would in a lifetime. you must do alot of laps around timmies eh. i definitely have owned more diesels than you ever will. and i have done more maintenance on them than you ever will. you seem to be stuck on dodge, but each his own. ford runs 17 litres of oil and you must be makin yer own filters for 10 bucks. anyway cyle, you should try out fer that know it all show, for someone so young ya could be a winner.
Sorry I didn't know anyone was foolish enough to still own a ford diesel. I know it's not cheap when a belt on the 6 liter is 8 hours! Or pulling the cab to do almost anything besides a oil change. As said below the duramax is about the same oil as the Cummins. And go to Cummins and look if you don't believe me I know it's $15 tops....

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im looking to buy a little gmc terrain for short trips when i dont need the truck. if you make a lot of greocery type (short) trips then a diesel is not for you.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personal opinion with experiance........If you are not working a diesel(carrying a load or pulling a trailer etc) more that 60% of the time,you are waisting your money buying one.For people that pull occasionally(less than 10-15 times a year),go with a gasser.Cheaper to purchase,cheaper to maintain,cheaper fuel and cheaper to repair.If your on a trips and something goes wrong,even the smallest of repair shops can usually figure out whats going on,get parts and repair most gas engines.Alot of shop won't even look at a diesel.I can get "Gasoline" in almost any small town in North America,can't say the same for diesel.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personal opinion with experiance........If you are not working a diesel(carrying a load or pulling a trailer etc) more that 60% of the time,you are waisting your money buying one.For people that pull occasionally(less than 10-15 times a year),go with a gasser.Cheaper to purchase,cheaper to maintain,cheaper fuel and cheaper to repair.If your on a trips and something goes wrong,even the smallest of repair shops can usually figure out whats going on,get parts and repair most gas engines.Alot of shop won't even look at a diesel.I can get "Gasoline" in almost any small town in North America,can't say the same for diesel.

ya no kidding try to find diesel in eastern saskatchewan after the sun goes down good luck chuck. been there done that.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a new truck. I have a 2007 ram 3500 diesel. I love the power and everything but I am having lots of problems with the truck. I have decided to get a new truck but not sure if I should go back to diesel or look at the ford 1 tonne with the 6.2 gas. It is supposed to be a decent motor. I like the diesel but the gas is cheaper to buy and service. I just don't know if the gas would pull as good? Any thoughts would be good.

Dad run's an 03 Durmax, 1ton duely, and I run an 07 6.0lt single rear wheel. both are 4x4's. we found hualing the same trailer (not factoring wind, temp, ect) with the same four people and sleds, that the Diesel tows much better, dosen't down shift, (the gas is constantly shifting). but both trucks still needed to fuel up at the same places. and the gas may have burnt a tad more then the diesle but because gas was cheaper, the cost was cheaper. Dad dosen't speed and I try to gain as much speed going down hills so I won't lose much going up. (doesn't always work).

But between the two trucks his maintenance cost more, he needs to add additives in the tank each fill up, cost of the truck was more. but he tows lots, and my gas would be wrecked towing the amount he does year round.

Really depends on what your doing with it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a 8.1 gas gm or Chevy. Pulls just like Dsl but without the maintenance

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a 8.1 gas gm or Chevy. Pulls just like Dsl but without the maintenance

It might be close, but no gasser will pull like a diesel. It isn't no mistake pretty much any bigger truck is a diesel.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It might be close, but no gasser will pull like a diesel. It isn't no mistake pretty much any bigger truck is a diesel.
I'm with Tex. I'll put a stock 8.1 against any stock diesel. My last moho was an 8.1 workhorse chassis.....looooved going around the diesel pushers on the trans Canada and on 93 headed to Fairmont....

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with Tex. I'll put a stock 8.1 against any stock diesel.
why should the gasser have to go stock?
lets spend 10g on it to compensate for the extra cost of the diesel, that way we are running dollar to dollar, only way it is a really fair comparison
hook em up load to load same weight trailer tires etc........... then we will run from whitecourt to fox creek and see who gets to fox creek first.

ps cyle if you bring a tow strap we will toss it to ya on our way by. j/s

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plus most of the newer dsls are as bad or worse than a 8.1 for Mpg...

The 8.1 also has the Allison and that makes a big difference comparded to a 6.0l shifting all the time and with Ur foot to the floor.

The power of a 8.1 is addictive just like a cranked up Dsl.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with Tex. I'll put a stock 8.1 against any stock diesel. My last moho was an 8.1 workhorse chassis.....looooved going around the diesel pushers on the trans Canada and on 93 headed to Fairmont....

Maybe a V8, but the Cummins matched with the NV5600 and 4:10's will walk up the mountains with 20k behind it like it's not even there. And it will be able to pass gas stations, unlike that pig gasser. Go look around websites, a lot of guys are putting 30k behind there Cummins, the motor will not skip a beat and will tear the rest of the truck apart. The 8.1 would need two trucks to have a hope in hell in pulling 30k.

Just go look what kind of busses, etc that engine is in with only a few changes. Plus the Cummins will last half a million plus km's maybe even a million plus, while the gasser working that hard, you'd be lucky to see more then a few hundred thousand.

Plus the diesels are so detuned from the factory. Put $1000 into each engine, and that Cummins will awaken with only a few things and be pushing 600hp.

I'm not talking about a factory 6.7, they are garbage. Either a 5.9L or a 6.7 deleted. Or a tuned up 12v, but i'd want it to be fair! A 12v is just not a fair match......

When's the last time you seen a hotshotter with a huge gooseneck pulled by a gasser? One in a thousand? Maybe even never? Anyone pulling heavy runs a diesel, because the pulling power isn't even in the ballpark, and a diesel gets a lot better mileage. GM and Ford is a different story, because a V8 diesel will never run with a I6.

I've driven fords big gas job in a f450, it was downright pathetic. Even the ford 6 litre has more power......The GM could be 10x better and nowhere near a real diesel.

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why should the gasser have to go stock?
lets spend 10g on it to compensate for the extra cost of the diesel, that way we are running dollar to dollar, only way it is a really fair comparison
hook em up load to load same weight trailer tires etc........... then we will run from whitecourt to fox creek and see who gets to fox creek first.

ps cyle if you bring a tow strap we will toss it to ya on our way by. j/s

Because when you sell it you will get nearly ALL that $10k back in resale..........

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy Christ are you ever gay for cummins. Any diesel can do that, so don't kid yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom