Gas or diesel?

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a new truck. I have a 2007 ram 3500 diesel. I love the power and everything but I am having lots of problems with the truck. I have decided to get a new truck but not sure if I should go back to diesel or look at the ford 1 tonne with the 6.2 gas. It is supposed to be a decent motor. I like the diesel but the gas is cheaper to buy and service. I just don't know if the gas would pull as good? Any thoughts would be good.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good luck.... there are a lot of good opinions out there... i have a 2002 cummins... love it but need to upgrade... im stuck in the same spot as you... even worse im now looking into 1/2 tons too...

whats been wrong with ur 2007? it's one of the years im looking at...

watthead

Reaction score
I have ford 6.2 from new. Here's the scoop!
I use this truck for work (surveying) so its almost always close to the GVW.
Fuel is 23l/100km full loaded with 2 quads on deck. 20l/100km quads off deck and heavy with gear. 17l/100km empty on highway with deck slid in. I drive speed limit + 10%.
Truck cost $47000. I have 45000 km's to date. Oil change and air filter every 10000km's costs $75. 1 mudflap $65. That's it.
Warranty to 60000km's. Ford sync works good. Seats are ok.
Oh yeah, just learned this, 2 quads on, temp -40, economy = 30l/100km.
Diesels pay off in the long run 170 000km +, then buy a diesel.

Reaction score
We have a couple 2011 gas F350's at work, seems that you almost have to plan a trip sround fuel stops, especialy if you are pulling a trailer... I drive a 2010 Dodge Cummins 3500, awesome truck.. exhaust brake works awesome and makes warm up times in the winter faster as well, and it can be turned off or on at will, i know with the new ford diesel it is only on when you put it in tow haul, and not sure how the Duramax works if you can turn it off or on..

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
I have ford 6.2 from new. Here's the scoop!
I use this truck for work (surveying) so its almost always close to the GVW.
Fuel is 23l/100km full loaded with 2 quads on deck. 20l/100km quads off deck and heavy with gear. 17l/100km empty on highway with deck slid in. I drive speed limit + 10%.
Truck cost $47000. I have 45000 km's to date. Oil change and air filter every 10000km's costs $75. 1 mudflap $65. That's it.
Warranty to 60000km's. Ford sync works good. Seats are ok.
Oh yeah, just learned this, 2 quads on, temp -40, economy = 30l/100km.
Diesels pay off in the long run 170 000km +, then buy a diesel.

Agreed. Diesels will tow/haul better than any gas truck by far, so you may want to factor that in. You might actually be a bit disappointed going back to a gasser unless you are prepared for the drop in torque. I'm back running a gasser now and I sure miss my Dmax.

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the motor but if you are pulling heavy loads often i would stick with the diesel. If you are pulling a couple times a month maybe a gasser would be worth it for you but depends on how often and how much you are towing. I got off the diesel train this year and went with a 2500 dodge hemi which works fine and the 6.2 has more power than the 5.7 hemi from dodge. I feel there is enough get up and go when empty or even when with sled deck & two sleds. The only things is once you are pulling something there is no comparision to a diesel. Even my boat feels like a good pull and it is maybe 5000 lbs soaking wet with gear but i do love not having to worry what is going to go wrong next with my diesel and maintenace is way cheaper.

Waukeshaw

Reaction score
I went back to gas, unless your on warrenty all the time diesels are way to costly to fix, and there getting some good power out of the gas engines these days

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just sold my 07 dodge diesel 2500 for the EXACT same reason. Going back to a dodge 2500 gasser, they are dirt cheap and still ok if you haul/tow rarely and don't put many miles on. Not a fan of the half tons with the ifs, etc. Plus 06-08 1500's are notorious for having issues with the electronic 4wd.

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have gas and a diesel chev and i love my new dmax way better! its a way nicer truck to drive espesially hauling a load. its nice being able to put the trailer on with sleds and drive 800kms without stopping for fuel. and u can turn the exhaust brake on and off.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
glad I got an 8.1L gasser while they still made 'em. she burns the fuel, but hauls the mail. other than oil changes I've only had to put a new battery in it. only way I'd have a diesel is if someone else is paying for it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2. If i sell my worked up 6.5 Dsl it would be to a 8.1.

None of the new Dsl's get Mpg. Probably about the same as the 8.1 but with tons of more maintenance over the life.

Oh one of the tricks I've done for a few is put 15w40 in that 8.1 in the summer. It will love it.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the high cost of diesel is only a fall/winter thing when the plants have shut downs to switch to winter diesel production. this year its lasting a lot longer cus of the explosions everywhere at plants last year.

i have 196 000 kms on my duramax and i have only replaced a turbo vane position seonsor (warrany) and 1 glow plug (out of warranty) those are the only 2 fixes i have had to do that are motor related. everything else has been truck related (brakes, wheel bearings, batteries, etc)

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the high cost of diesel is only a fall/winter thing when the plants have shut downs to switch to winter diesel production. this year its lasting a lot longer cus of the explosions everywhere at plants last year.i have 196 000 kms on my duramax and i have only replaced a turbo vane position seonsor (warrany) and 1 glow plug (out of warranty) those are the only 2 fixes i have had to do that are motor related. everything else has been truck related (brakes, wheel bearings, batteries, etc)
Or they raise it anytime they can think of an excuse, good or not. I remember a few summers ago paying in the $130"s for diesel.......If fuel is near equal price and you do your own maintaince a diesel won't cost much different to run unless it needs DEF. Most of the extra cost on buying it is recouped when it's sold so is a wash.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well if ya don't pull a large load a diesel is gonna cost ya more money period. oil changes are 17 liters +/-,air filters, fuel filters, egr. costs big $$$ you couldn't get diesel this winter= costs ya. mileage sucks diesel stinks, gets all over in yer truck. won't start in winter. generally a POS.

also if cyle approved run fast and run far.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well if ya don't pull a large load a diesel is gonna cost ya more money period. oil changes are 17 liters +/-,air filters, fuel filters, egr. costs big $$$ you couldn't get diesel this winter= costs ya. mileage sucks diesel stinks, gets all over in yer truck. won't start in winter. generally a POS. also if cyle approved run fast and run far.
Dont know what diesel your talking about, but the Cummins takes 11.4 liters. Fuel filters cost about $10, if that makes or breaks you, I doubt you can afford to drive in the first place. Ya if you go to the dealer it costs a fortune. Air filter are within a few dollars. Won't start in the winter? This last cold spell I didn't plug it in one night it dropped below -30 started just fine, knew two people who's gasses didn't start though if a diesel has good compression and batteries it will start. Never once smelled diesel in my truck or had someone complain. I guess if your worried about smudging your lipstick a gasser might be better.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is good reasons to buy each one, but the reason above to avoid a diesel are not very good......

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest reason to buy a diesel ... Spark plugs are for pussies!
sweet so if i am always packin around 8-10 of them i will attract alot more ladies than your smelly diesel lol

hauling lots buy the dies.
gettin groceries get the gasser.
had this discussion with one of my old apprentices, he wanted a diesel in the worst way they are awesome, they haul axx, they blah blah blah............... i said you will hate it takes longer to warm up in winter, burns same or more fuel, more maintenance costs, you rarely haul anything, etc same points guys have posted already.
he bough his diesel this summer, then dumped another 8-10g into it for mods exhaust chips intake, fuel pum and so on.
he has not drove the truck since winter started as to expensive to drive to and from work, takes to long to warm up, doesn't start worth a chit when really cold, smells like chit when idling and cold, to loud................. this is as per him when i saw him at the timmies the other day.
it was one of those just look at him and smile moments.

Top Bottom