Gas or Diesel

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2015 5.3L gasser half ton is worse on fuel than my 2012 6.7L diesel 3500. Both stock. Oil changes are roughly the same at Edwards GM in Rocky at 75$. I dont run fancy oil. Tires cost the same or more as half ton takes 20" and one ton has 17". Towing with the half ton is awful. 24L/100 towing my single axle 14' w/Teryx on it. Couldn't imagine towing a larger trailer with it. The half ton doesn't have enough power empty to pull over a hill without shifting down. The only benefit I see is its a lighter unit to drive and you can feel it. I think I get one more complimentary oil change and I might flog it when I have to pay for the next one. The engine brake on the Cummins is awesome too. My $0.02.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^ This part.. My dodge 1500 is the same, shifts down on the highway when empty yet most diesels towing 10k lbs will hold 1600 rpm up hills.

Travel time to our favourite summer destinations actually dropped after we got the diesel. Significantly when mountains are involved. One to two fewer gas stops and no speed loss through mountain climbs. Shaved an hour off one of our annual BC trips. Diesel truck has been a positive addition to our lifestyle. Maybe that's what it comes down to. Will a diesel add value to your lifestyle? Safety, comfort, efficiency, longevity, and lower long term ownership costs...works for me!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've run 3 different GM 2500 HD trucks. A classic diesel, a 2010 6.0, and a 2012 diesel.
I've done the same jobs and hauled the same loads with all 3 and the diesel wins hands down. I'd get half the mileage and at a lesser speed with the gasser as opposed to the other 2. It was painful stopping every 350 km or less for fuel with the gasser just to pay more at the pump when towing 9000lbs.

If all you need is to tow or haul slightly above 1/2 ton rated towable stuff than maybe you can get away with the gas 3/4 ton. Anything more than that and I'd run the diesel. It's just better.

Lund also ran a Ford so I can see why he has a distaste for Diesels now lol.

Anyone who owned a 6l or 6.4l Ford diesel most likely dis like diesels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And a 6.7L ... we have had two go down in our work fleet. Last one crank bearing and a 16k repair tab.. truck is just off warranty of course. Fords suck

You don't here to much bad about the 6.7. I don't agree with the 10w30 oil these in those engines.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would you recommend? 15/40 mineral,0/40 syn, 0/30 syn? I am contemplating a change also.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would you recommend? 15/40 mineral,0/40 syn, 0/30 syn? I am contemplating a change also.
I go with what the manual recommends now. Things are changing so much every year now. I was using 0-40 in my diesel. And now I use it in my 6.4 hemi as that is what they say to use. But they only make that in a synthetic. Older diesels I always put in 15w40.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would use good old 15w40. I know that's what they recommend but there's so much heat in a diesel 10w30 would get thin, and with the compression that they have I would worry about connecting rods bearings. Just like all these new gas motors that want 5w20 oil that stuff is thinner then water lol. I think a bit thicker is better then a bit thinner oil. Unless it's -45 lol

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive done lots of inframes and no damage with 10-30 oil. They wouldn't be using it otherwise. Remember these engines are putting on more than a million miles pulling serious loads.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use 5-40 rotella in every thing, lawn mowers, bikes, quads, gas and diesel cars

40 has twice the viscosity than 20 when hot

All these new cars and trucks will have issue's after warranty is gone, from piss water oil

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use 5-40 rotella in every thing, lawn mowers, bikes, quads, gas and diesel cars

40 has twice the viscosity than 20 when hot

All these new cars and trucks will have issue's after warranty is gone, from piss water oil

I use 15w40 in almost everything. It's cheap and good! My ranger I use the 5w50 they ask for.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well gas engines have never been known for mileage. I get about 525km to 100L on my 2500 hemi, which is awful. I can get about 400km to 90L towing my 21k gooseneck with the diesel..... That's almost the same mileage with a 6500lb empty truck, compared to a 8k truck towing 21k. And I still think the diesel has more passing power on the highway...... Thinking about buying another 3500 diesel for a daily driver instead of a 1500, because the cost of fuel and maintenance is pretty much a wash, and you get a better truck in every way. Either way the 2500 hemi is going, such a useless truck IMO.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I haven't used 15-40 in several years now in my truck, i switch because i had so many engine issues related to the 15-40, even though it is recommended. In the summer now i have 5-40 syn, and in the winter during sledding season i run 0-40 syn in it.
I found it makes a huge difference in start ups and overall running in my Ford. Been doing this for 4 years now and no engine start up, smoke and rough running or injector problem anymore.
This truck runs a 600hp program with Banks inner cooler and oversize injectors, MBRP exhaust system, Air raid intake and since i changed my oil spec. from 15-40
it just runs alot better and more reliable on injectors.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone who owned a 6l or 6.4l Ford diesel most likely dis like diesels.

I still own my 05 Harley Ford 6l, with 145 org kms. Other than knowing that the heads might let go one day.... I love the power, the towing power and the mileage from the 100% stock motor. I don't pull as much as I use too, and that is why I would be considering a gas pot. Also, that I have a company truck and the Ford sits and collects dust, hence the low mileage.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't used 15-40 in several years now in my truck, i switch because i had so many engine issues related to the 15-40, even though it is recommended. In the summer now i have 5-40 syn, and in the winter during sledding season i run 0-40 syn in it.
I found it makes a huge difference in start ups and overall running in my Ford. Been doing this for 4 years now and no engine start up, smoke and rough running or injector problem anymore.
This truck runs a 600hp program with Banks inner cooler and oversize injectors, MBRP exhaust system, Air raid intake and since i changed my oil spec. from 15-40
it just runs alot better and more reliable on injectors.
No or no where near as much oil coaking injectors with either 5w or 0w 40

Was the same for a fleet of ford's I looked after, the injector issue's pretty much went away

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still own my 05 Harley Ford 6l, with 145 org kms. Other than knowing that the heads might let go one day.... I love the power, the towing power and the mileage from the 100% stock motor. I don't pull as much as I use too, and that is why I would be considering a gas pot. Also, that I have a company truck and the Ford sits and collects dust, hence the low mileage.

Lol I was think that you would probably chime in when I was typing that.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be moving up to a 2500 dodge this summer/fall. still can't make up my mind on a 6.4 gas or 6.7 diesel. I've never owned a diesel and keep hearing they are costly to maintain and have to be worked hard all the time. currently have a 1500 with a 5.7 hemi and love the power and fuel mileage but need something that can carry more. plan on hauling 2 sleds on a deck during winter, and a lightweight truck camper in summer with the future possibility of a single place trailer with a quad or alum fishing boat. It would also sit most the time during the week, not being used as a daily driver. Thoughts?
Bought a 3500 6.7 this spring couldn't be happier, averages 13L/100 empty, 15-16 pulling, my understanding 6.4 is close to 20/100 empty, fuel right now is 20 cents less per litre, has better resale value than gasser so will recapture added cost of motor, down sides first oil change and fuel filters was $420, but per manual has a 24,000km interval on changes, def a bit of pain every 6-8k but they have fills at flying j pumps. Be careful if you buy a 2500 diesel payload is less than a heavy half due to weight of motor, approx 2200lbs wouldn't even qualify in the great half ton sled deck debate.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gas and diesel are the same price in a bunch of places right now. I just verified with Gas Buddy. Some places gas is just a few cents more.

Top Bottom