Gas or Diesel

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will the dpf systems ever go away ? Do you guys think they will realize it's a waste of money and actually costs more ??

DPF's likley will not go away. With the evolution of tier 5 emissions you may see improved/combination DPF's like the Cummins EcoFit.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They wouldn't ever admit to being wrong that that def actually causes more harmful emissions than it does good and do away with it like they should- thought I read some European diesels were going away from it already as it's proving to be no better ?? Maybe we're only a few yrs away from being def delete... Wishful thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to see a study or other proof that DEF (urea) causes more or any harmful emissions.

An article I read awhile back stated about %20 of annual NOx emissions in the area tested were from diesel road fuel use, where %30 came from auto gas use. DEF (urea/water) breaks down NOx even further into nitrogen which is fairly acceptable considering the air we breath is already near %78 nitrogen.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Def reduces nox levels big time. I haven't worked at a dealer since last year at this time but most of my work was emission related. I could road test a truck and monitor any parameter with my laptop. I could watch the nox levels increase and decrease as def was injected or if it wasn't. Also could watch those levels drop when the egr valve opened. The stuff works well. It is just a huge pita. When things go wrong. As for the fluid being safe? I don't believe it is. Anything that will eat copper as quickly as that stuff does can't be safe. I started wearing rubber gloves anytime I was around it as it is the only thing that dried my hands out for weeks if I touch the stuff. Even a drop would dry that spot out for 3-4 weeks

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DEF definitely works. It is actually based on catalytic technology to remove NOx from industrial fired heaters. We haven't seen much of this is Canada but in the States just about any industrial heater has to have this installed. As for its effectiveness - about 99+% removal when applied at the right urea dosage and temperature.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is nice to start trucks in the shop with all the doors closed to air them up and not smoke out the shop. It is fact that in certain polluted places down south the air going into these trucks is dirtier then the air coming out.

Top Bottom