Gas or Diesel

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya the diesel price really varies gas buddy is awesome, husky in red deer has been 82 for the last month while regular 103 where as some retails are charging same for both, in apr and may esso was 70 in RD when gas was 93. With my business I drive 500-600 km per day in spring figure with fuel price diff and better milage I'm saving $160-$200 bucks a week. Goes along way to paying for the motor, that being said up until the economy crash diesel was 20 cents more. Nothead going to save us all though with her extra 12 cents tax coming over next two years.

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
No or no where near as much oil coaking injectors with either 5w or 0w 40

Was the same for a fleet of ford's I looked after, the injector issue's pretty much went away
Are you saying I should run 5w40 (I run Amsoil in everything I own) in my '11 Duramax year round, rather than 15w40? I pull a HEAVY 5th wheel in the summer.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still own my 05 Harley Ford 6l, with 145 org kms. Other than knowing that the heads might let go one day.... I love the power, the towing power and the mileage from the 100% stock motor. I don't pull as much as I use too, and that is why I would be considering a gas pot. Also, that I have a company truck and the Ford sits and collects dust, hence the low mileage.

I seriously believe part of the problem with that 6L are the owners. I have 313,000 on mine on original heads, plus it runs a programmer and i do pull a very heavy jet boat over the Coq. to the Fraser river and Vancouver and honestly the only issue i can say i have on occasion is the EGR dumping boost pressure.
A stock 6L will run about 27-28psi of boost pressure, mine runs up in about 37-38psi boost pressure and in this case its best to delete the EGR but i haven't done that. Any boost exceeding 40psi continually will eventually blow the heads on the 6L.

So why do stock 6L blow heads? Like i said, part of the problem is the owner. "Idling", diesels biggest enemy and a bad habit taken from long haul truckers.
Idling causes huge carbon buildup in the exhaust system. Part of the exhaust system is the turbo. The 6L uses a "variable" vane turbo. The carbon buildup causes the vane to stick and hangup in little time with idling. Ford came up with a servo system to help the issue of carbon buildup but overall too much idling would cause the turbo vane to seize up. Thus unkowingly, you now have an over boost scenario that will blow the heads on your 6L when you put your foot in it for an extended period of time such as towing a load. Most good shops that do on a regular basis the 6L heads find them self cleaning the turbo from carbon.

BTW, i've heard of guys blowing the heads on the 6.4 and the 6.7. Hard to teach stupid not to be stupid, pulling a large load up huge grades in the mountain passes on hot days at ridiculous speeds, eventually something is going to give.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you saying I should run 5w40 (I run Amsoil in everything I own) in my '11 Duramax year round, rather than 15w40? I pull a HEAVY 5th wheel in the summer.

Yes sir, not for the injector issue's tho as that's a Ford problem

Both are the same hot ( 40 weight)

But every time u cold start, 15 w is thick and 0w or 5 w is way thinner

So theoretical every cold start with 15w is way longer dry start than with 0w or 5 w

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep you 40 weight is the same but oil is flowing quicker with the first number being lower. I ran 0-40 like I said in my diesel in the summer and winter. And run it now in my gasser, but the gasser calls for 0-40

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Yep you 40 weight is the same but oil is flowing quicker with the first number being lower. I ran 0-40 like I said in my diesel in the summer and winter. And run it now in my gasser, but the gasser calls for 0-40
Yeah. My Grand Cherokee SRT calls for synthetic 0w40. Pretty sure that's for the cylinder deactivation tho.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seriously believe part of the problem with that 6L are the owners. I have 313,000 on mine on original heads, plus it runs a programmer and i do pull a very heavy jet boat over the Coq. to the Fraser river and Vancouver and honestly the only issue i can say i have on occasion is the EGR dumping boost pressure.
A stock 6L will run about 27-28psi of boost pressure, mine runs up in about 37-38psi boost pressure and in this case its best to delete the EGR but i haven't done that. Any boost exceeding 40psi continually will eventually blow the heads on the 6L.

So why do stock 6L blow heads? Like i said, part of the problem is the owner. "Idling", diesels biggest enemy and a bad habit taken from long haul truckers.
Idling causes huge carbon buildup in the exhaust system. Part of the exhaust system is the turbo. The 6L uses a "variable" vane turbo. The carbon buildup causes the vane to stick and hangup in little time with idling. Ford came up with a servo system to help the issue of carbon buildup but overall too much idling would cause the turbo vane to seize up. Thus unkowingly, you now have an over boost scenario that will blow the heads on your 6L when you put your foot in it for an extended period of time such as towing a load. Most good shops that do on a regular basis the 6L heads find them self cleaning the turbo from carbon.

BTW, i've heard of guys blowing the heads on the 6.4 and the 6.7. Hard to teach stupid not to be stupid, pulling a large load up huge grades in the mountain passes on hot days at ridiculous speeds, eventually something is going to give.

The downsides of owning a powerstroke eh? I think the Cummins runs better after a hard pull on a hot day :p One factor also is the programmers, bigger tires, rims, etc people are putting on and then pulling heavy. Putting extra strain on everything. Also depends if you're using a diesel like it should be and working it by towing/hauling.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dodge recommends 5-20 for the 5.7hemi, but 0-40 or 5-40 for the 6.1hemi

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The downsides of owning a powerstroke eh? I think the Cummins runs better after a hard pull on a hot day :p One factor also is the programmers, bigger tires, rims, etc people are putting on and then pulling heavy. Putting extra strain on everything. Also depends if you're using a diesel like it should be and working it by towing/hauling.

Very true, can't argue that.
Except in my case she is a bit of a sleeper, looks 100% boring. Stock wheel's, stock tires, stock suspension, nothing exciting about it. Kinda harmless with it's stock boring looks. Its even an 8ft box, how not cool is that LOL. IMO and pretty much everyone out there would feel the same. I guess if you really knew what to listen for and look for you might realize different. Otherwise till you hook on to something big and heavy, then you realize WTF.....just the way i like it, no need to advertise.
Yes everything else come's into account.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are no real justification for driving a diesel pickup other then it's cool to do so(status). All the gas powered pickup truck's will do everything the diesel will and in the long run at a much lesser cost and easier on the enviroment as a single vehicle.
IMO, diesel fuel should be available for commercial use only and i wouldn't cry if there was a nation wide ban on them like there is in California.
The ironic part is i drive a diesel truck and have owned several since 1995 and i can honestly tell anyone that in the long run the overall cost is far better on the gas powered truck in its life time. The small fuel saving you get in milage is quickly eaten up in maintenance of the diesel truck. So unless your a commercial operator running long hours and lots of high miles in a very short period of time. Gas powered trucks are the way to go, diesel powered truck's imo will go the way of the dodo bird in the near future.
BTW my next pickup will be gas powered, its a no brainer.

I Dont think your at all correct with this. Commercial diesel engines are way dirtier than the consumer diesels.
With the advancements in technology and in reintroduction of smaller bore diesels, I foresee more diesels on the road in the future.
The biggest problem is the lack of enforcement to the modified or deleted diesel trucks on the road.
Is a diesel engine in a 25/3500 the smartest choice for a grocery getter and only tow 5% of the time? Thats a decision for the consumer to make.
I know i would feel alot safer and less stressed out, with a 40 ft toyhauler behind me with a diesel equipped truck on the coq than a gas job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
My Cummins pulls like a freight train never shifts on the hills just the turbo whistles louder. I had a hemi for a week thing had some get up and go but I found it shifts wayyy to much liking just running empty down the highway with cruise on it down shift on every mole hill.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what oil should I run in my new 6.7 Cummins?

Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I my self am a gas and diesel dude.

Actually diesel motors and diesel fuel have less impact on the environment then gas.

Diesel fuel is easy to process then gas that goes threw 7 more stages, so producing diesel fuel over gas has much less of a carbon foot print at the refinery.
A larger % of motors on earth are diesels, burnt diesel fuel fumes returns to the trees faster then burn gas.
Diesel motors use less fuel then what it would take gasoline too do, "small or large displacement."

The last 10 years has shown small cars and 1/2 ton pick-up truck motors that get incredible fuel mileage, diesel motors have been known to log on 1 million miles easy, and 2 too 3 million in the heavy haul category with minimal service and repairs.

There will never be a gasoline motor in a Kenworth or Peterbuilt, nor a heavy pull farm tractor now days since they will not get the fuel per hours to match what diesel fuel can do.

If the price of the new Dodge 1/2 ton with small diesel was a bit more affordable, I would own one selling my gasoline trucks.

So there is a place for diesel and gas as many have said. If I "could insure a small car "affordably" with my pick-up truck I would, but I'm not paying double the cost when I pay to insure my truck that I need... Lots of us would have cars, but there's no incentive or rebate insurance wize too do so.

Guess I'll have too drive my 6 piston gas pot till insurance rates come down,,, and that will never happen.

Pal Don more wrong the right.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Will the dpf systems ever go away ? Do you guys think they will realize it's a waste of money and actually costs more ??

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will the dpf systems ever go away ? Do you guys think they will realize it's a waste of money and actually costs more ??
Eventually, I think someone will come up with something better.

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hanging on to my 5.9 l .. for as long as it will go, Not for Sale !
Put on 260k in the last 10 years, dont think i will top that in another 10, ... way less driving now, due to retirement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom