Gas or Diesel

Ohmz

Reaction score
I'm going to be moving up to a 2500 dodge this summer/fall. still can't make up my mind on a 6.4 gas or 6.7 diesel. I've never owned a diesel and keep hearing they are costly to maintain and have to be worked hard all the time. currently have a 1500 with a 5.7 hemi and love the power and fuel mileage but need something that can carry more. plan on hauling 2 sleds on a deck during winter, and a lightweight truck camper in summer with the future possibility of a single place trailer with a quad or alum fishing boat. It would also sit most the time during the week, not being used as a daily driver. Thoughts?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a Dodge Power Wagon and now a Dodge 3500 6.7.

Really miss the power wagon for hunting but it was not the best to tow my trailer.

Drive both and compare.

Lots of people have no issues with a gas 2500 or 3500 towing

I just find the 6.7 really works great towing with the engine braking.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you were towing a big trailer or something Id say get a diesel, but doesn't really sound like you are planning on towing a bunch of weight,
or putting on a ton of miles. Gasser should be fine for 2 sleds, light camper ext. Cheaper to buy,,, cheaper to maintain.
Makes sense to me, but its your money.

Cheers

mbmb

Reaction score
Diesel all the way, owned several cummins, with regular maintenance never had any issues with my 5.9L or 6.7L. I did remove all the emissions crap from the 6.7 and almost doubled my mileage. My truck sits sometimes for weeks on end during the winter but sees a large amount of towing in the summer. If you can get past the $'s of engine cost and are prepared to keep it for a long time then I would go diesel.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree with Lilduke, a gas job would suit you fine. I went from a 2010 hemi to a 11 dmax 3 years ago. I needed the 3/4 ton but really didn't need the diesel. It's also not my daily driver.
Reasons why my next truck will be a gas: easy starting/warming, convenience of gas (all my other toys are gas, nice to have extra jerry cans around for it), cheaper to buy/maintain, carbon tax on diesel is going up more, heaviest trailer I got is 8000lbs loaded.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
2500 model is the way to go for sure, doesn't sound like you need a 1 ton. I am partial to a diesel. The power at all elevations, is nice. I ride with a guy who has a 13' cummins, the engine brake that comes stock is impressive, throw it in tow haul mode and turn the engine brake on and you literally don't even need to touch the foot brake when going down steep grades. The ride in a gas 2500 would be really rough, even the diesel rode rough. But the extra weight makes it a little softer.

Diesels hold their value more as well.

Gas truck will always have the same power unless you put a LOT of money into it. A diesel you can put $800 in efi live and have a huge improvement in both economy and power.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother has a '14 mega cab 2500 with the 6.4 and really likes it. blacktop edition with Duratracs, goes anywhere, It feels powerful, but hard on fuel when pulling or going through the hills. He has a 28' lightweight bumper tow and a jet boat, no problems.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If that is what you are hauling get the 6.4. The gas mileage sucks but the power and convenience is there. Depending on what your your current hemi is you might get better mileage.

Mine is a 2014 3500 which is my daily driver. I haul a camper on it. Also haul a quad trailer. The quad trailer and camper are going and I will be getting an enclosed trailer and a toy hauler to put behind the truck.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In order to make a diesel pay you have to be hauling something all the time and I don't me beer. Even two sleds today is nothing for gas or diesel trucks. Diesel motors are meant to be under load and if it's just going to driven to the store and home your wasting your money.

But hey it's your money and only my opinion.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was you only need a gas truck guy for a long time. Now I got a 06 5.9 cummins and love the power. You hook on the trailer and go. Pulls nice and gets better millage while pulling. If buying a newer diesel do you self a favour and get rid of the emissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be moving up to a 2500 dodge this summer/fall. still can't make up my mind on a 6.4 gas or 6.7 diesel. I've never owned a diesel and keep hearing they are costly to maintain and have to be worked hard all the time. currently have a 1500 with a 5.7 hemi and love the power and fuel mileage but need something that can carry more. plan on hauling 2 sleds on a deck during winter, and a lightweight truck camper in summer with the future possibility of a single place trailer with a quad or alum fishing boat. It would also sit most the time during the week, not being used as a daily driver. Thoughts?

With all honesty, i wouldn't bother with a diesel power truck.
I bought my first diesel in 1995 and have been running diesel truck's ever since. But this will be my last. I 100% agree with all the post saying unless your working it and driving it with abnormally heavy loads the diesel trucks are much more expensive to justify and hardly worth it. The gas trucks today are more then capable of doing the job a recreationist will demand of it.
For me when i'am in the market of a new truck, i will be going back to gas power. It only makes sense.
IMO, diesel powered trucks, at least in this(my) area (Kelowna BC) are on the decline and gas powered trucks appear to be the preference. Lots of diesel drivers are going back to gas around here...... for good reasons i'm sure.

pipeliner72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was a die hard gasser fan my last truck was a 2012 power wagon and recently bought a 2500 cummins. So far i am very impressed with it empty I,m burning 11.2 litres per hundred km doing 110 and it is so quiet. So far i haven't had any issues with the emissions system but my truck doesn't do a lot of idleing. I went with the air ride rear suspension that works amazing never have to adjust anything. There are some pretty sweet incentives right now including the free diesel upgrade. Now that i have owned the diesel i will never go back to a gasser.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 6.4 hemi (3500)and did my first pull with a loaded toy hauler . It pulled great , no complaints and about 13 mpg average towing @115kph. I am sure the diesels pull better , but the new gas engines are quite amazing I must say....

Unless you pull real heavy all the time , or through the mountains I see no need for a diesel and the added cost..... They just do not pencil out..IMO.

Panzerdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Gas is good

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
My dad just upgraded from his 09 F150 5.4L to a Dodge 2500 6.4L Hemi, he says he's getting about the same fuel mileage empty as he was getting with his 5.4 Ford while running regular fuel. He put a tank of "mid grade" in and his mileage actually improved 1l/100 km.... He's quite happy with it so far (only had it about a month). He's of the mindset that if it gets comparable mileage empty he doesn't care what it gets while towing, because all trucks get worse mileage when towing. It is a super nice truck, and Dodge has 0% financing and free cummins upgrades right now. It's a super tough call. My 6.7L Cummins treats me well, but a lot of the time I think I could have gotten away with a 6.4L Gas Pot too.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diesel 3500.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also keep in mind how many miles you intend to keep the vehicle for. If you're only putting 100,000k on it before trading, Diesel is not worth it. If you're keeping your truck for 300,000+, the extra investment may be worth it. The diesels will also hold much higher resale than a gas model.

I'm sticking with diesel for now, but will be another 2 years before I hit 350,000 km on my truck - will start to re-assess at that time. Will be interesting to see the evolution continue.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the," if you are keeping it for a very long time" train of thought ?
If the motor (diesel)lasts longer , but the rear end and tranny etc etc are falling out ( unreliable) etc etc .... At what point do you you keep fixing it ? If the diesel lasts 600k , the rest of the truck is shot at 250k , without substantial constant repair costs ...
In fact the torque and pulling power of the diesel may cause earlier issues than a gas job . I am no truck expert , but I fail to see the cost saving of s diesel, unless the pulling power is absolutely necessary...

Last edited:
Top Bottom