Gas or Diesel

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 6.4l power wagon and it way better and I mean waaaay better on fuel than my 2013 5.7l 2500 was, but keep in mind with the 6.4l you have high capacity 0w40 premium synthetic oil changes which are far from cheap and are supposed to run on mid grade fuel minimum by Chryslers standards, which I never new until I talked to the dealership, I was running regular fuel then switched to premium when I found out and it honestly was a different truck when it comes to milage and response...but with that said the 6.4 with 6 speed auto and 4.10 diffs you can't get any better love mine and wouldn't hesitate buying another

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 6.4l power wagon and it way better and I mean waaaay better on fuel than my 2013 5.7l 2500 was, but keep in mind with the 6.4l you have high capacity 0w40 premium synthetic oil changes which are far from cheap and are supposed to run on mid grade fuel minimum by Chryslers standards, which I never new until I talked to the dealership, I was running regular fuel then switched to premium when I found out and it honestly was a different truck when it comes to milage and response...but with that said the 6.4 with 6 speed auto and 4.10 diffs you can't get any better love mine and wouldn't hesitate buying another

Hmmmm what? I always have run mine on regular. Tell me more of this mystery power adding upgrade? I like power

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All hemi engine need 90+ octane. They have since 09.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya if ya actually read up on the 6.4 it's the same engine as the SRT cars just in a heavy ass truck haha and they call for a minimum mid grade fuel and for the extra few cents I just run premium and no you don't gain 50hp like a monster sticker and a coal stack would give you but it definatly woke the truck up and gained some milage

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I said ? "Gas engine equipped correctly"
Gear ratio is really important . IMO

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Sh!t. You learn something every day. I guess Ill switch over and see what it does. Always put in regular. I wish I had the 4.10's as well but mine has the 3.73's in it. It was a truck off the lot. Actually it was between this one and another diesel last year. The diesel was the wrong color and basic interior vs mostly loaded, correct color and 6.4 hemi. Id like to actually put in 4.56 gears. I think the truck would do awesome with those.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya if ya actually read up on the 6.4 it's the same engine as the SRT cars just in a heavy ass truck haha and they call for a minimum mid grade fuel and for the extra few cents I just run premium and no you don't gain 50hp like a monster sticker and a coal stack would give you but it definatly woke the truck up and gained some milage

Really, didn't know that either. By how much? I have the 4.10's and I like the truck and what it does.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it is worth trying. I need gas now so Ill fill up tomorrow with premium and run a few tanks of it. It'll cost about 10 bucks more per tank so we will see if it is worth it.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really, didn't know that either. By how much? I have the 4.10's and I like the truck and what it does.

I had 4:33 ratio in a 2011 Ford with 6.2 and it pulled like crazy and pretty good on fuel .Would have preferred 4:10 for all around good for everything.
Only ran 285 size tires as any bigger changed things to much.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Lots of good info in this thread. I will be making this decision in 1.5 years 2018 will be a new truck for me Usually keep a truck for 10 years and I don't know what I will buy

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lots of good info in this thread. I will be making this decision in 1.5 years 2018 will be a new truck for me Usually keep a truck for 10 years and I don't know what I will buy
X2 on the good info thread

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of vehicles since mid 2000's will get better mileage on premium fuel. Just need to do the math to see if the economic benefit is there. My Titan loved premium...was more peppy and got better mileage. Even seemed to tow better. Wifes car gets significantly better mileage on premium, particularly highway driving. Just need to wrap my head around the number that appears on the pump when filling.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of vehicles since mid 2000's will get better mileage on premium fuel. Just need to do the math to see if the economic benefit is there. My Titan loved premium...was more peppy and got better mileage. Even seemed to tow better. Wifes car gets significantly better mileage on premium, particularly highway driving. Just need to wrap my head around the number that appears on the pump when filling.

I agree completely, ecoboosts are another that benefit greatly from premium in warm weather especially when towing the difference is huge.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went down to Lethbridge to get my new enclosed. 15mpg on the way down in the wind and 7 on the way back. The wind was crazy. That hemi was working hard. Days like this I wish I had the diesel. I am happy with the hemi 95% of the time. Today was the 5%. I didn't hate it but came real close to running out of gas. Like real real Fkn close. I loaded the trailer and the km to empty said 200kms. I figured I had a little time. 40km later I was down to 24 km till empty when I finally got to a gas station!!

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Range was ultimately the reason why I sold my gas 1 ton. Pulling the fifth wheel was easy and I could live with the power but 300 KM's on a full 140 liter tank of fuel was extremely annoying. Always wound up squeezing into a "too small" gas station with the trailer hooked up which was a giant PITA. Got to the point that I did not want to go too far in a day as I did not want to fuel up twice. Love the diesel which is perfect for what I do but doubt I would like it as much for a daily driver.

Went down to Lethbridge to get my new enclosed. 15mpg on the way down in the wind and 7 on the way back. The wind was crazy. That hemi was working hard. Days like this I wish I had the diesel. I am happy with the hemi 95% of the time. Today was the 5%. I didn't hate it but came real close to running out of gas. Like real real Fkn close. I loaded the trailer and the km to empty said 200kms. I figured I had a little time. 40km later I was down to 24 km till empty when I finally got to a gas station!!

Top Bottom