Flatlander avalanche

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Around saskatoon it rained and had warm temps, there is a hard pack top over powder that can slide at any minute!
wow, that sounds bad. hopefully everyone remembers to dig down to the base layer of snow using their heel to check out the different layers of snow before heading out

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Drift avi parkland county all ditch bangers be carefull
d179e1fc-e5e5-a064.jpg

I HOPE THE FLATMARK WAS AT LEAST ATTAINED??? WAS THIS AVY REPORTED??

OFFICIAL AVALANCHE WARNING POSTED BY THE CANADIAN FLATLAND AVALANCHE SOCIETY: JAN28/2011, 4:00PM
BULLETIN UPDATE: Natural avalanche activity has slowed down significantly and we are now seeing mostly small surface avalanches where a bit of new snow and wind have created localized slabs. However, isolated large deep avalanches continue to occur with both natural and human triggers. Natural large deep avalanches are likely to continue on a random and sporadic basis for the next day or two as very warm temperatures prevail. Cooling temperatures over the weekend starting earlier (perhaps Saturday) in the north and later (probably Sunday or Monday) in the south will likely further reduce or perhaps even stop natural avalanche activity. Increased stability due to cooling will take a couple of days to fully take hold, however and human triggering of deep slabs remains possible.

HOPE EVERYONE SLEDS SAFE IN SASKATCHEWAN AND DON'T FORGET YOUR AVALUATORS, AND DIG AVY PITS TO TEST THE SNOW PACK FIRST..... RIDE SAFE!!!
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I HOPE THE FLATMARK WAS AT LEAST ATTAINED??? WAS THIS AVY REPORTED??

OFFICIAL AVALANCHE WARNING POSTED BY THE CANADIAN FLATLAND AVALANCHE SOCIETY: JAN28/2011, 4:00PM
BULLETIN UPDATE: Natural avalanche activity has slowed down significantly and we are now seeing mostly small surface avalanches where a bit of new snow and wind have created localized slabs. However, isolated large deep avalanches continue to occur with both natural and human triggers. Natural large deep avalanches are likely to continue on a random and sporadic basis for the next day or two as very warm temperatures prevail. Cooling temperatures over the weekend starting earlier (perhaps Saturday) in the north and later (probably Sunday or Monday) in the south will likely further reduce or perhaps even stop natural avalanche activity. Increased stability due to cooling will take a couple of days to fully take hold, however and human triggering of deep slabs remains possible.

HOPE EVERYONE SLEDS SAFE IN SASKATCHEWAN AND DON'T FORGET YOUR AVALUATORS, AND DIG AVY PITS TO TEST THE SNOW PACK FIRST..... RIDE SAFE!!!
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

These flatalanches are nerve-wracking. I best stick to the flat-terrain of the couch :)

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Saw a pretty serious flatalanche on 770 this morning!

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Whole cornice came down!

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Should I report it to FAC?

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This video is not for the faint of heart... can see the carnage happen at about 10 seconds in.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epMXPsukyiQ[/media]

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
came across some pretty serious ditchalanches this morning!!! huge debris fields that covered 1's of feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with the new snow received last night, just a quick remind to everyone to be safe and carry ALL your flatalanche safety gear!!!!

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
came across some pretty serious ditchalanches this morning!!! huge debris fields that covered 1's of feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with the new snow received last night, just a quick remind to everyone to be safe and carry ALL your flatalanche safety gear!!!!

Picked up my new Drift-Sifter from ASE this morning: it can find weak layers in the snow-pack faster than a Mountie can say "Donut!"

Safety first: so this ditch won't be my last...

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pozzy was not flat 3 certified and i don't think he will ever be

The instuctor for the flat 3 certification is a fake and anyone that has received certification from said instructor is required to immediatley burn all paperwork and and start from scratch with a 40 of rum:beer:

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The instuctor for the flat 3 certification is a fake and anyone that has received certification from said instructor is required to immediatley burn all paperwork and and start from scratch with a 40 of rum:beer:

Or what? We will end up with a bunged up leg and have to watch others shovel our decks??

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing wrong watching your friends shovel your roof while your on the couch with a cold one:beer:and as soon as im in a walking cast...i will be riding the kids 500:d

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing wrong watching your friends shovel your roof while your on the couch with a cold one:beer:and as soon as im in a walking cast...i will be riding the kids 500:d

I admit, you got it figured for now. But while you lounge on the low-angle terrain of your sofa, I am busting up all your ditch-powder and kicking ass on the FLAT-3 Field training. Pretty soon I will be able to hand out advise that is as sage and wise as Maxwell's. And you will still be trying to catch me on a 500 :d

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you got me there, but by then this 2' of snow we have will be a great base and will have 2' of fresh with new flatalanches and that 500 being so light and nimble will keep me on top during the slides.:eek:

Top Bottom