Fix Kit for the extra $$$?

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of doing the same with my 12. I love this chassis and the way this rides. If I can get another 10HP out of the engine and have peace of mind that it will run strong for years to come, I think it is worth the price tag.
If anyone has over 1000 miles on their 8oo it would be time to look at the pistons and consider doing something BEFORE problems happen. Especially if your warranty is almost done!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly I think the way to go if you want another 10hp and longevity would be to send it to Indy Dan for the long rod conversion and the rest of what he does to strenghten the insides of the motor. I think he bridges the cyl skirts and a few other things. Just putting a fix kit in and then pumping up the motor to get more HP will only compound the stresses that happen inside which will only shorten the life of the motor.

I did talk to Dan about sending in the new motor that was installed in my 12 on warranty and he figured about $2000 to get it all done. Not including shipping. He offers a 3 year warranty after that. I thought about it but I also need a track cause mine is coming apart and I would like the fox or raptor shocks for a better ride as the walker evans are harsh on the trails and its getting to my back now that I am getting a bit older. All in all it would cost me about $6000 to do this and I still would have a sled with no warranty left. I am getting the new cat for $6000 difference with my trade and it has the fox shocks a wicked 2.6 power claw track better reliability and full warranty for 2 more years.......was a no brainer!

The RKTek kit sounds good but he has no warranty coverage so you pay your money and take your chances.
Sounds like a pain in the Azzz. Just get a doo. Or a Cat I guess at least Cat's Motor's are good

RK Tek

Reaction score
Website
www.2strokeheads.com
Honestly I think the way to go if you want another 10hp and longevity would be to send it to Indy Dan for the long rod conversion and the rest of what he does to strenghten the insides of the motor. I think he bridges the cyl skirts and a few other things. Just putting a fix kit in and then pumping up the motor to get more HP will only compound the stresses that happen inside which will only shorten the life of the motor.

I did talk to Dan about sending in the new motor that was installed in my 12 on warranty and he figured about $2000 to get it all done. Not including shipping. He offers a 3 year warranty after that. I thought about it but I also need a track cause mine is coming apart and I would like the fox or raptor shocks for a better ride as the walker evans are harsh on the trails and its getting to my back now that I am getting a bit older. All in all it would cost me about $6000 to do this and I still would have a sled with no warranty left. I am getting the new cat for $6000 difference with my trade and it has the fox shocks a wicked 2.6 power claw track better reliability and full warranty for 2 more years.......was a no brainer!

The RKTek kit sounds good but he has no warranty coverage so you pay your money and take your chances.

Guys.. just to clear things ups...

ALL RK Teks products have a warranty.. The warranty covers ANY item that is not in spec or has issues.

Keep in mind, when you get an Indy specialty engine, you are NOT getting a warranty against piston failure... you are getting a warranty against the crank or cylinder failing.. that is all.. So, you lean out your engine and scuff a piston.. NOT COVERED...

Indy Dan warranties his crank work and cylinder work ONLY if he does the install!!

Again.. the pistons are not warrantied against failure.. So, the Indy Dan warranty ONLY covers what he modifies and personally installs...It does NOT cover failures due to a lean condition, bad gas, over-heat etc. ect.. It is NOT like your factory Polaris warranty.

Tell ya what, ASK Dan what his warranty IF is you buy his long rod kit, crank, or cylinders... You will find that NONE of it is covered.. ONLY what he personally installs... which is totally understandable on his part...

But,there exists all this confusion and misconception that you have a warranty like a factory warranty as to where you have a piston failure and you get your engine repaired at no charge .. THIS IS NOT THE CASE! PLEASE do not get taken in by this gimmick... ask the questions and see what is really covered and what is not covered.

You can install a 2013 crank in ANY of your 2008-2012 engines and then you have a much longer lasting crank at less cost.
The cylinder reinforcement is NOT needed and the reinforcement DOES choke off airflow.. Choking off airflow NEVER adds power and 99.9% of the time LOSES power..

Not here to bash.. just trying to clear up all the misconceptions out there regarding these things

Last edited:

vjc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to go with the RTK kit on my 2011, it feels like I have a paint shaker under the hood at low rpm's. Love the sled, but have to agree with the bad rep Polaris gets for their engines.

The cat 1000's had the shakes too, but at least they ditched them.

mtncat1

Reaction score
I've done rkt drop in kits on my 2 11's and my 13. they all run much smoother and the hp gains are no joke,dan may have a good product but it is pricey considering how long the average guy keeps a sled before upgrading.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ordered drop in with head today, as well as the new weights. Thanks Kelsey
ran the drop in myself last season and really liked the results. minimizes the 3000 rpm deathshake, loves 8250 rpm and holds it on long pulls. 13.5:1 on 91 octane with no issues. 1200 mile season. beat that engine like a red headed stepchild. pistons and cylinders still look perfect. I'm happy.

Uzeste

Reaction score
When doing the piston swap has anyone done any porting to the cylinder at the same time to find some more HP gains. I figure it would be a good time to do it.

RK Tek

Reaction score
Website
www.2strokeheads.com
When doing the piston swap has anyone done any porting to the cylinder at the same time to find some more HP gains. I figure it would be a good time to do it.

Yes, good porting will add some power as well.. Poor porting will remove power.

The Drop In Kit , we offer, alters port timing via the piston, so, with the Drop In Kit, you do get a better piston and a porting change.. that is why it works so well and adds the power that it does..

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just thinking in my twisted little world, what if a person did both Indy Dan's and the Drop in Kit at the same time on the same engine. Could it be done? Would it be worth it? Would the hp gain and reliability be worth the cost of both kits? Let me know what you think.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ran the drop in myself last season and really liked the results. minimizes the 3000 rpm deathshake, loves 8250 rpm and holds it on long pulls. 13.5:1 on 91 octane with no issues. 1200 mile season. beat that engine like a red headed stepchild. pistons and cylinders still look perfect. I'm happy.

Glad to hear comments from another happy RKT customer, do you know what the lowest elevation that combo is safe for?

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How can you offer warranty on a product that is installed by others? just asking. Not sure where the reference to Chinese pistons comes from, but apparently RTK pistons are manufactured by Wossner a German company.

Terra Alps Racing inc.

Reaction score
Quadtrash, the parts made and designed by Terra Alps are warrantied or garunteed, Terra Alps uses Japanese pistons when possible, set to proper clearances. Some have dealers install the parts which they can warranty the parts and labor install. They might charge a little more but a good dealer can stand behind they're work. If a circlip was not installed properly and falls out damaging the top end, then its installers fault. Trench - theres probably 6 or more people/shops offering so called fix kits for the Polaris 800, some use Chinese pistons, some wossner, wiseco or Japanese pistons, all with different designs and dimensions. So it was mentioned to timbo and others viewing.

RK Tek

Reaction score
Website
www.2strokeheads.com
Top Bottom