Fix Kit for the extra $$$?

TKrebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Running a 2012 800 Pro. Have a 12.5-1 PAR head. My compression is getting to be around 110ish. Still have warranty, dealer says once its below 100 theyll do it. When on one last ride last year and the sled seemed very weak. Buddy of mine had the same problem and got his done. Said he had to pay an extra 700$ for the Fix Kit to be put in under warranty. Is that the way to go?

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$700 Seems pretty steep considering the rktek drop in kit (pistons and hi comp head) is only $850. I would ask why the $$ is so high considering they have to put in pistons anyway, cant be a $700 dollar difference between polaris pistons and the aftermarket fix kit pistons.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the mountain tech piston kits in stock $ 650.00 can. rkt 850.00 us by the time it gets to you no less than 950.00 for sure.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The kit we use also comes with a cylinder shim,new dowl pins,new cylinder bolts and one new base gasket.

jeremy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put the MTNTK kit in before the end off the season due to low compression. After steam cleaning the jugs, noticed the two bottom skirts were almost cracked all the way through. Ended up putting 2013 jugs in that supposedly are thicker since the others were paper weights. 140 a side now. Easy kit to install. About $1100 for Fix kit and new jugs. Wiseco Pistons, shim kit, and all.
Should last another 5000 km

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Serious question here, I currently ride doo, but have had lots of different Polaris Sleds over the years. Last one was a 2010 800 dragon x2. Fix kit?2012? Really,,,, again... Seems every year these Polaris's need a friggin fix kit. If Polaris ever gets a decent motor for there sleds, I might consider buying another one. Sorry for the rant,, Good luck:beer:

vjc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Serious question here, I currently ride doo, but have had lots of different Polaris Sleds over the years. Last one was a 2010 800 dragon x2. Fix kit?2012? Really,,,, again... Seems every year these Polaris's need a friggin fix kit. If Polaris ever gets a decent motor for there sleds, I might consider buying another one. Sorry for the rant,, Good luck:beer:

Sorry to burst your bubble but, there all friggin junk ! I owned them all aswell. Ride what you want to fix !

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to burst your bubble but, there all friggin junk ! I owned them all aswell. Ride what you want to fix !
Etec has been pretty flawless... That's why I ride one,,, Just riding,, No fixing. Try one you'll like it.

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being a polaris guy for the last 18-20 years I have to say that polaris does need the fix kit. I blew up my 09 700 and my 2012 pro 800. The pro had 1400 miles and I was told that the 2012 wouldnt have any issues and not to worry. Well it dropped a piston skirt and grenaded the bottom end. I am fussy as hell with fuel and oil, warm up and everything. DO THE KIT RIGHT OFF THE BAT AND DONT WAIT!!! Was told the motor was backordered and had to wait just over a month. Why would they be backordered?!?......obviously cant keep them on the shelf long!!! The chassis and clutching is awesome but the motor sucks! This story is not uncommon believe me. Gonna bite the bullet and have ordered a 2014 800 cat limited. Hate doing that but I wont go back until Polaris can engineer a motor that puts out at least 160hp and has longevity! The pro would be untouchable if it had this. Love the sled......hate the motor!

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sketch, Is there a reason you ruled out the xm in your choice. Dont get me wrong I hated my xp, the doo branding, doo gear, most people that ride doo, doolaide, ect, ect, but they got the xm down! Im coming off a 13 proclimb 163 limited and liked the sled alot but could not keep up with belts and the team secondary sounds like a meat grinder. I had everything vented like swiss cheese and did alignment and deflection every weekend. I also found the xm took alot less effort to ride. I had quite a bit of seat time on the xm and ended up urdering one. This means alot coming from a guy who said he wouldnt ride another doo if it was given to me for christmas..... Not tryn to damper the new purchase, just hope u demo'd all the new iron and hopefully cat has the clutches cooled down this year for ya. Cheers

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sketch, Is there a reason you ruled out the xm in your choice. Dont get me wrong I hated my xp, the doo branding, doo gear, most people that ride doo, doolaide, ect, ect, but they got the xm down! Im coming off a 13 proclimb 163 limited and liked the sled alot but could not keep up with belts and the team secondary sounds like a meat grinder. I had everything vented like swiss cheese and did alignment and deflection every weekend. I also found the xm took alot less effort to ride. I had quite a bit of seat time on the xm and ended up urdering one. This means alot coming from a guy who said he wouldnt ride another doo if it was given to me for christmas..... Not tryn to damper the new purchase, just hope u demo'd all the new iron and hopefully cat has the clutches cooled down this year for ya. Cheers
I did ride the XM one time last year but only for about half hour. Didnt like how it felt trying to keep it on its side. The motor also felt a bit soft on the bottom end, but that could have been bcause of how its clutched and how quiet it is stock. I didnt give it alot of time to get used to the feel so I really cant judge it. In our group of riders most are cats and they never had issues with motors, which i liked!!!!, but one of the 12s did go through 4 belts in 1400 miles. The first 3 were in the first 700 miles but after cat did the updates and he got the newer belt....the 084 i think? it never really had any other issues. He did have to get the reeds replaced as apparantly cat has crappy reeds.

I guess it comes down to having mostly cats in our group so if anything happens a guy has parts to borrow!lol. After my pro blew up at the beginning of the day on our last ride, my buddy gave me his 12 to ride the rest of the day and it was an easy transistion from my pro to the proclimb. Felt really good evrywhere and the motor pulls hard. I really like the ride on the trails with the fox floats compared to the harshness of the walker evans also.

The new cat has alot of updates and changes with gearing being a major one, should help belt life alot, along with the extra large cooling fins on the secondary and a different bushing also. I love that it has the biggest paddle track of all 3 makes, the power claw is one of the best tracks out. They shaved about 18 to 20 pds off the weight and if you put a can on in place of the suitcase muffler you lose another 14 to 16 pds. Everything they did was needed and should make a big difference from the 12 and 13 im hoping. Gonna try it out for a couple years until warranty is done then decide if i need to go back to polaris or jump to a doo. Im not really brand loyal, just want to ride a good machine that wont leave me stranded like the polaris has done to me twice in 4 years.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being a polaris guy for the last 18-20 years I have to say that polaris does need the fix kit. I blew up my 09 700 and my 2012 pro 800. The pro had 1400 miles and I was told that the 2012 wouldnt have any issues and not to worry. Well it dropped a piston skirt and grenaded the bottom end. I am fussy as hell with fuel and oil, warm up and everything. DO THE KIT RIGHT OFF THE BAT AND DONT WAIT!!! Was told the motor was backordered and had to wait just over a month. Why would they be backordered?!?......obviously cant keep them on the shelf long!!! The chassis and clutching is awesome but the motor sucks! This story is not uncommon believe me. Gonna bite the bullet and have ordered a 2014 800 cat limited. Hate doing that but I wont go back until Polaris can engineer a motor that puts out at least 160hp and has longevity! The pro would be untouchable if it had this. Love the sled......hate the motor!
My thoughts exactly.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to go with the RTK kit on my 2011, it feels like I have a paint shaker under the hood at low rpm's. Love the sled, but have to agree with the bad rep Polaris gets for their engines.

ACP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Sketch welcome to Cat, by no means am I saying there the best sled cause I haven't rode the others enough to compare but I have had a lot of cats starting with a 1995 limited build zrt 600 in my flat land days sold it with 5800 miles and still ran strong. 2 - 700 laydowns and 4- 800's . When I got my 2012 I hated it coming from my 11 but after complaining instead of riding I started to figure out that I was the problem, never blew one belt in 460 miles traded for a 2013 ( couldn't say no to deal me and my buddy got) and I will say this the two sleds are not comparable the 13 is way better, so I'm hoping the 14's will be that much better again. The real weight savings is the snow that's not going to build up on them apparently. any way good luck and have confidence you can hold that mill to the pin all day, with a smile on your face back to the truck.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to go with the RTK kit on my 2011, it feels like I have a paint shaker under the hood at low rpm's. Love the sled, but have to agree with the bad rep Polaris gets for their engines.
Thinking of doing the same with my 12. I love this chassis and the way this rides. If I can get another 10HP out of the engine and have peace of mind that it will run strong for years to come, I think it is worth the price tag.

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of doing the same with my 12. I love this chassis and the way this rides. If I can get another 10HP out of the engine and have peace of mind that it will run strong for years to come, I think it is worth the price tag.
Honestly I think the way to go if you want another 10hp and longevity would be to send it to Indy Dan for the long rod conversion and the rest of what he does to strenghten the insides of the motor. I think he bridges the cyl skirts and a few other things. Just putting a fix kit in and then pumping up the motor to get more HP will only compound the stresses that happen inside which will only shorten the life of the motor.

I did talk to Dan about sending in the new motor that was installed in my 12 on warranty and he figured about $2000 to get it all done. Not including shipping. He offers a 3 year warranty after that. I thought about it but I also need a track cause mine is coming apart and I would like the fox or raptor shocks for a better ride as the walker evans are harsh on the trails and its getting to my back now that I am getting a bit older. All in all it would cost me about $6000 to do this and I still would have a sled with no warranty left. I am getting the new cat for $6000 difference with my trade and it has the fox shocks a wicked 2.6 power claw track better reliability and full warranty for 2 more years.......was a no brainer!

The RKTek kit sounds good but he has no warranty coverage so you pay your money and take your chances.

Top Bottom