First ride of the Year blues

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Well, I thought I was ready, had a fun weekend but had some unexpected problems and some were my fault.
First, it all started when I was putting my avy pack together, and I caught the handle when I shouldn't of :( oops. Didnt need that anyway that weekend but now will cost me some money.
Then my sled died withen visible distance to the cabin, so I had to get towed home by BBtoys, what a ride that was, expecially through the water being 3' behind a track spraying water and ice, thank goodness for Klim wear, lol. Then after ripping my front bumper off we tied onto one ski and made it back to the truck. We brought the sled back to Barries house, it was totally filled with snow and Ice, we thawed it in about 4 hrs and put gas line antifreeze and it started no problem. Let it run for about 20 minutes, then brought back into garage. Saturday morning at the Renshaw staging area, it only ran for a few minutes and then flooded again. So I went to ridenhide and we drained the float bowls, no water, repaired the cracks in the carb boots, and it seemed to run fine, tested and it was good. So I headed to the hill to find the guys. It was running great again, then it started to sputter again a fair distance from the cabin then quit, I turned the heated carbs on and it was running again, kind of rough as it would surge then almost slall then repeat that several times :eek: So I grabbed the left hand throttle and it was wide open all of a sudden I hung on and steered trying to get back to the cabin and get it to stop. A little scary hitting the big hill at that speed and at the top I must of been about 5' in the air. Made it to the cabin, took my backpack off and then went outside and worked on my sled to get it working for the ride down, I guess my buddys have headed back down, probably wondering where I was. So I better head back, there were others in the cabin. When I got to the bottom just through the bushes, I relized I left the backpack at the cabin but now my sled was starting to quit and not running right, so I decided to leave it and hopw someone brought it back or I would get it the following day. Hit my throttle again and it stuck open, I was hitting the creek bed crossings at about 60 - 70 kmh and it was surging back and forth from half to full throttle to about the 11 km when I could finally slow it down. Well I made it back, had a little trouble turning the sled off but got to the trailer about ten minutes after the other guys. I got my packpack that night thanks to some members of this site and North Country Lodge. The next morning we went to Bell, I took barries sled, Summit broke his sled trying to get it started, the recoil broke, looking at my sled from the back end, the tunnell looks pretty twisted, OOPS :eek:. So I need to look into that..
But Hairstraightback and myself, headed up to meet Chucker, Dave, Chrlie and had a good ride at bell.
Now I have some work to do..But I had fun, I will post pics tonight..

GRD

Reaction score
Well, I thought I was ready, had a fun weekend but had some unexpected problems and some were my fault.
First, it all started when I was putting my avy pack together, and I caught the handle when I shouldn't of :( oops. Didnt need that anyway that weekend but now will cost me some money.
Then my sled died withen visible distance to the cabin, so I had to get towed home by BBtoys, what a ride that was, expecially through the water being 3' behind a track spraying water and ice, thank goodness for Klim wear, lol. Then after ripping my front bumper off we tied onto one ski and made it back to the truck. We brought the sled back to Barries house, it was totally filled with snow and Ice, we thawed it in about 4 hrs and put gas line antifreeze and it started no problem. Let it run for about 20 minutes, then brought back into garage. Saturday morning at the Renshaw staging area, it only ran for a few minutes and then flooded again. So I went to ridenhide and we drained the float bowls, no water, repaired the cracks in the carb boots, and it seemed to run fine, tested and it was good. So I headed to the hill to find the guys. It was running great again, then it started to sputter again a fair distance from the cabin then quit, I turned the heated carbs on and it was running again, kind of rough as it would surge then almost slall then repeat that several times :eek: So I grabbed the left hand throttle and it was wide open all of a sudden I hung on and steered trying to get back to the cabin and get it to stop. A little scary hitting the big hill at that speed and at the top I must of been about 5' in the air. Made it to the cabin, took my backpack off and then went outside and worked on my sled to get it working for the ride down, I guess my buddys have headed back down, probably wondering where I was. So I better head back, there were others in the cabin. When I got to the bottom just through the bushes, I relized I left the backpack at the cabin but now my sled was starting to quit and not running right, so I decided to leave it and hopw someone brought it back or I would get it the following day. Hit my throttle again and it stuck open, I was hitting the creek bed crossings at about 60 - 70 kmh and it was surging back and forth from half to full throttle to about the 11 km when I could finally slow it down. Well I made it back, had a little trouble turning the sled off but got to the trailer about ten minutes after the other guys. I got my packpack that night thanks to some members of this site and North Country Lodge. The next morning we went to Bell, I took barries sled, Summit broke his sled trying to get it started, the recoil broke, looking at my sled from the back end, the tunnell looks pretty twisted, OOPS :eek:. So I need to look into that..
But Hairstraightback and myself, headed up to meet Chucker, Dave, Chrlie and had a good ride at bell.
Now I have some work to do..But I had fun, I will post pics tonight..

Sounds like an expensive weekend.... At least you didn't get hurt!

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trips like that are hard to forget. Sounded like a real adventure.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds similar to a story that happened to a bunch of us at Silent Pass a couple of years ago. One of our party memebers had a 2001 700 Summit that died in the back bowl area of Silent there was no way that thing was going to start, great now what do we do??? About eight or ten of us literaly pulled that thing up out of the bowl by hand, once out it was no problem to tow back to the trucks. Once we got the wounded sled loaded someone figured they would give it a try to see if it would start sure enough it fired up the first pull, there was alot of swearing and nashing of teeth. As soon as we got home it was soon traded off on a newer model.

Billy Boy:cool:

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EEWW sorry to hear about the bad luck RKnight. I'm sure in a case like that the evening bevy's where flowing to drown the sorrows. Wish i could have been there this past weekend. How was the snow conditions out there?

162SKIDOO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too bad we never got to hookup ....sounds like you needed a little more help. Give me a call if you need a wrenching hand....im in.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
sounds like there might be a good deal coming up on an 05 800 Summit lol.... that sucks Ron, but now you know where the bugs are and can get them all worked out for your next trip.

Born2Ride

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you had alot of problems. We also had some problems as you may have seen us trying to thaw out a 2001 Summit in the parking lot. Just could not get fuel to her, as soon as we held a torch on the fuel pump/square box with fuel lines comming off, it thawed out and fired right up and ran for the rest of the day. Next morning same thing happened. Had to repeat but got it going. Anyway yours could have been vapor locking? I have seen guys take the fuel cap off and actually blow into the gas tank sealing it with their hands. Just a thought

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And to top it off the first time I found Rons Group guess who was stuck! LOL! LMAO!BA!HA!,sorry Ron but it was ironic to say the least.I owed you that for following me around last year with that camera of yours,still not sure why I didnt take a picture!
catmando!

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Heres some pics of my sled after we got it to Barry's house, It took about four hours and alot of picking to get most of the snow out. It was quite funny to see it so packed in there.

Attachments

• danuk 082 (Small).jpg
    danuk 082 (Small).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 209
  • danuk 083 (Small).jpg
    danuk 083 (Small).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 209
  • danuk 084 (Small).jpg
    danuk 084 (Small).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 219
  • danuk 085 (Small).jpg
    danuk 085 (Small).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 220

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How did you get the snow packed in there like that,You should have wieghed it LOL!
catmando!

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How the heck did you get so much snow packed in there? It almost looks like some one was playing a prank on you and shoveled it all in there...:D

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Even better here's a video

How it got there?

Well the sled died and BBtoys hauled me all the way back from the hill (Renshaw) we even hit the area at about 11 km that was a water hole, This added something that we laughed about for a while. When your being towed quite close your sled gets pelted with snow.

Born2Ride

Reaction score
We towed a guy out of Haines, and he duck taped all of his vents before we started, now I know why. Last weekend was so cold, tape would probably not even have stuck.

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:eek:Hey Rk..I feel for ya...first ride on the turbo Dragon was not pretty either,,, put it this way thank somebody I brought the Diva with me,,,, so I could ride the last day...:twocents:anyways sorry to hear about your bad luck,, first ride,,,, cold weekend,,,....OHHHHHHH BY THE WAY...

:DI THINK THAT'S WHY WE CALL IT SLEDDING AND ENJOY IT SOOOOOOOO MUCH.......

Top Bottom