Fernie Snow Conditions 2017 - 2018

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that's unfortunate. Can you stage further down by Corbin to save driving all the way to Fernie if we stay with our buddy in blaremore?

You bet.
Or if you're staying in Fernie, Morrissey is just ten or so minutes out of town.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I don't go to the Notch often. The wind has to be just about nil, a nice amount of powder on the pipeline or relatively smooth, and I do prefer a blue-bird day. Yesterday, those conditions were met. Am I a pussy? Maybe so, but IMHO, it is no fun when the wind is blowing +100 kmh. A the Notch, the trees are more open and tree riding is much easier than in the Rolling Hills for my wife. She can actually go on her own and lead. A great day for the two of us!! Had lunch at the Wrangler's cabin with Thistledoo's group (Jamie, Aaron Vanee, Lucky 7, and a young daughter rocking a long track). The garlic shrimp and scallops were done just right!

They groomed 3/4 of the way and also groomed a lot of the by-passes; great job FSA. That opens up so much more tree riding areas and it is a blessing in disguise. Only probed 150 cm in some quiet trees (hard to find snow out there that isn't wind blown).

IMG_3050.jpg

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We also had a great day yesterday of fresh untracked powder in the trees off the pipeline.It put a huge smile on my face being the first ones up there on a fresh groomed trail.Thanks FSA and to the people who take the time to run the groomer.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for some quick assistance from fellow sledders that frequent the Morrissey Staging area and trails. A few of us are coming down from Calgary this weekend and I'm wondering how the road to the staging area is and the parking lot. Is the road decent for bringing enclosed trailers? Is there any real steep grades to get to the staging parking lot? A couple people have 4 place enclosed and I have personal always staged and rode up the Pipeline to access the area so I don't know about access to Morrissey. I have seen a couple of different post about getting to the Morrissey Staging area and the FSA website kind of explains it, but if I look on Google maps, there are a couple of roads that cross so I'm not 100% clear. Can anybody help us out?

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the morrisey staging area's have 2 parking lots. the lower one is for trailers and is easy to get into and out. Follow the signs and it has arrow pointing to the right. The upper parking lot can park trailers but gets filled up and can be a nightmare for everyone. The road is good but I noticed its a bit icey this past weekend. Due to the Coal creek being closed Morrisey upper parking lot gets filled up quickly. if you park in the lower lot just take the sled trail up to the upper lot then to the kiosk. I hope this helps. if you want more info. send me a pm

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Looking for some quick assistance from fellow sledders that frequent the Morrissey Staging area and trails. A few of us are coming down from Calgary this weekend and I'm wondering how the road to the staging area is and the parking lot. Is the road decent for bringing enclosed trailers? Is there any real steep grades to get to the staging parking lot? A couple people have 4 place enclosed and I have personal always staged and rode up the Pipeline to access the area so I don't know about access to Morrissey. I have seen a couple of different post about getting to the Morrissey Staging area and the FSA website kind of explains it, but if I look on Google maps, there are a couple of roads that cross so I'm not 100% clear. Can anybody help us out?

The road is basically flat but a little icy. Lots of trailers accessing the riding area. Like Lucky 7 said, "use the bottom parking lot". Turn right at a noticeable fork in the road and the staging are is on the left hand side a little further down the road. From the back of the lot, there is a single track trail to the next lot and the further up to the kiosk. Have fun and enjoy.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the parking info! I'm looking forward to riding the area again.

Last edited:

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL you mean best ag salesman in the industry, too bad your not closer to see for yourself :)
Haha too bad you never answer texts to go sledding or I might be more stuff? Seriously tho need another rake call me sometime.
How's the snow down there doug when can Brendon and I get out and write off a sled trip?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It is always great to have Flatlanders come out and really enjoy the riding. They joke about the cattails in the engine compartment, how little snow there is in SK, how cold it is in SK, and how much fun sledding is in the trees in the mountains. I do know of some very special places that are prime riding areas for the young guns and they can take full advantage of the areas. It has been two great days and 3 more to come for this group. No carnage and other than some minor logging it has been a blast.

A full 200 cm was probed yesterday but there is still great discrepancy from area to area. We easily had 30-40 cm of fresh on top of a good base and the snow was heavy, dense, and great for binding.

The Polaris ski being held up is interesting; ski hit a tree, the ski went perpendicular and threw the rubber block out. Easy fix was to take off the ski, put the block back in, and he was ready to go before his other buddy got himself dug out of the creek. Fun Times!!!

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

Top Bottom