Fernie conditions 2014/15

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 185503
Seems good to me, hard to believe people can be fussy about snow when winter was doomed and over for most people a couple of days ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because it cost a lot of coin to haul trailers and machines across the country to ride. If the snow is settled and firm then there is no point. It's no fun riding concrete. We chased snow in mcbride and in two days 3ft went to zero as it settled and firmed right up from wind and sun.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to be riding thur fri that can show a couple guys around? We never been. Beers on us.

zeke800

Reaction score
How far from fernie can a guy pull a four place to get to snow. I have never been there

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
How far from fernie can a guy pull a four place to get to snow. I have never been there

I would recommend you use Coal Creek staging area and don't go past km 39-39.5. It would be a little tight to turn around but if you look around at the "approaches" the ditches are good. Do not go past this spot as you will regret it. You will have to ride a little dirt but that is a lot better than the alternative.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you messing with me??

Yes...look for north and east facing areas. Can't help you out with the guiding, gotta work. Already skipping out from two mornings of work so far this week.

Good luck...snowed about 5cm on the hill last night.

Last edited:

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I would recommend you use Coal Creek staging area and don't go past km 39-39.5. It would be a little tight to turn around but if you look around at the "approaches" the ditches are good. Do not go past this spot as you will regret it. You will have to ride a little dirt but that is a lot better than the alternative.

What he said...same, same. I would not tow a four place up the hill...icy road with a bit of fresh on top will make for a bad experience.

Last edited:

zeke800

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Just have another question or 2. So from town then on the Coal Creek road you have to drive 39 kms down that road?

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No. It's not that far, it's mile marker 39 from back when they were logging

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Just have another question or 2. So from town then on the Coal Creek road you have to drive 39 kms down that road?

No friggin' way as that would put you up past the Rolling Hills cabin, hahahahaha.......

There are mileage markers on the road (a yellow sign with kilometers on them. This is how far that marker is from the sawmill.). The normal staging area is just before the 37 km marker. You will drive past the staging area across a bridge and along a flat part to the 39 km marker. It might be 5-6 km from town but I don't know for sure on that distance.

If I don't respond again, it is because I am out of town. Good luck. I'll be back this evening.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the help.

Zeke, are you riding today if so how was it? we are heading out tonight.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a 3 hr morning ride up Coal Creek. Still lots of virgin meadow areas to be had within a couple minutes of the cabin. Snow was heavier than yesterday morning but still rates as my second best ride of the season...yesterday being #1.

Not as many trucks parked on the road today...people must be feeling better and are now able to go back to work:d

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a 3 hr morning ride up Coal Creek. Still lots of virgin meadow areas to be had within a couple minutes of the cabin. Snow was heavier than yesterday morning but still rates as my second best ride of the season...yesterday being #1.

Not as many trucks parked on the road today...people must be feeling better and are now able to go back to work:d

Oh ya...HUN...

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who is riding Friday? Maybe I will drive down for the day.

jbacklun

Reaction score
Just wondering if conditions have held up. Coming out for Saturday but one of the guys has to rent. Just doesn't want to rent if it's firmed up a lot

Top Bottom