Elkford update

jasoncaville

Reaction score
Here's a short vid. Notice when I'm riding up the hill there's no trees at the top. You used to have to pick your way through. And this is at the end of the flat clearing, which is pretty long.

Last edited:

jasoncaville

Reaction score
Here's some pics from today. There are still some big cornices above this slide that haven't let go yet. Notice the diameter of some of the trees that were broken in half. Scary.

Slide1.jpg
Slide2.jpg
Slide3.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
And I thought that that vertical wall wouldn't hold that much snow! Wow, that is an eye opener!

It must have been wet and sticky to stick to the wall/rocks and just kept building. Another "safe spot" that is in the memory bank. Seems to be a lot of those this year.

Thanks for the pictures.

jasoncaville

Reaction score
And I thought that that vertical wall wouldn't hold that much snow! Wow, that is an eye opener!

It must have been wet and sticky to stick to the wall/rocks and just kept building. Another "safe spot" that is in the memory bank. Seems to be a lot of those this year.

Thanks for the pictures.

This is still a safe spot, just not after is snows 5-6 feet in under 2 weeks. What I think happened is there was a huge mass of snow up on top of the vertical wall that let go and took what ever was beneath it with it.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
This is still a safe spot, just not after is snows 5-6 feet in under 2 weeks. What I think happened is there was a huge mass of snow up on top of the vertical wall that let go and took what ever was beneath it with it.

That's why I put the quotations around it. It is safe but with certain conditions/limitations. It is in the memory bank.

handybus

Reaction score
Wow no one has touched that .. I'll be there sat for a ride of anyone wants to meet.

jdaniel

Reaction score
i sure wouldn't take a chance, the basin(avalanche path) that everyone climbs behind mear, has not come down this year. With the warm weather forecasted for this weekend it could come down big time! Just take a look at the other pics we have posted to see how big the slides have been. We took a safe route into the area that day to take pics so people would realize the danger! NOT to show you an untouched area to play!

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
snowing out again

I put out my rain gauge this week and so far we have had an inch and eight tenths (in true farmer language) of rain in town. Heehaw!!

Can't see the freezing level due to a low ceiling. Might be sweeeeet!

For the weekend warriors, be sure to stop at the gas station a buy a trail pass.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doug how is the snow, we might come tomorow if it sweet, you ridding tommorow

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My wife and i just got back. Like I said, "one inch and 8 tenths of rain in Elkford." You guys aren't gonna like it!

Here is a teaser as I have to leave to go grooming in Fernie right now. Yes, I could ride tomorrow (Avi danger will be very high with the fresh snow). Won't be home 'til late tonight.

IMG_0964.jpg IMG_0973.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so wet heavy stuff for tommorow, mere lake and waterworld should be safe enought... right..... not sure water the big revene run is, buyt that might be a little slidable

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
so wet heavy stuff for tommorow, mere lake and waterworld should be safe enought... right..... not sure water the big revene run is, buyt that might be a little slidable

Mear Lake itself would be safe enough. I wouldn't recommend above it with the amount of snow that fell. I heard avalanches today and saw small slab releasees. What/where is waterworld? Never heard of it before.

jasoncaville

Reaction score
This is from today. Top of Koko Claims. 225cm (7'5"). Way more behind Mear (at least 2 feet of fresh since last weekend). We went over to the Bull River but the snow was so heavy and sticky it would instantly pack the A-arms so bad that you couldn't steer. So we turned around.

Probe1.jpg Probe2.jpg

Top Bottom