Elkford update

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll add a little closer time line to that slide.

We came down at 5:00 pm and it wasn't down then. So, IMHO, it probably had a little more solar loading and it released sometime after our decent.

And to think, as we came down, someone ahead of us, actually turned left in front of your machine and pulled that chute????????

Do you know who it was Doug? You need to show him the 2 vids. Wow!

jdaniel

Reaction score
ya probably about 10 in the morning. we went into mear lake, on our way out, there was a bit of a slide starting in cowboy basin at the very top of it, (didn't stop to take a pic) .
I think you needed a space between the http and it......I was gonna try and correct it but real_wild1 beat me to it. Its all good now.

So you guys found that on Sat morning?

jasoncaville

Reaction score
Here's another pic Av.jpg

jasoncaville

Reaction score
On our way down yesterday we noticed the second slide up had come down again. It slid sometime between 10 am and 3 pm Here's a pic from Feb 12th of the slide I'm talking about.

IMG_1017.jpg

jasoncaville

Reaction score
The first slide was down. This is the first one you come to as you make your way in behind Mear Lake.

We climbed this short hill and made our way to the next slide. It was only partially down so we decided to turn around

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first slide was down. This is the first one you come to as you make your way in behind Mear Lake.

We climbed this short hill and made our way to the next slide. It was only partially down so we decided to turn around

Man I wouldn't be caught dead on that slope. Red flags jumping out all over the place.

jasoncaville

Reaction score
Man I wouldn't be caught dead on that slope. Red flags jumping out all over the place.

I hear ya. We saw the first slide was down huge so we decided to go up. When we got in further and saw that the other slides weren't down we turned around and got out of there. Hopefully others can resist the temptation of 2 feet of fluffy powder.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I hear ya. We saw the first slide was down huge so we decided to go up. When we got in further and saw that the other slides weren't down we turned around and got out of there. Hopefully others can resist the temptation of 2 feet of fluffy powder.

That looked like the slide path of 2003; did that let loose in two places? A little on the first climb and more on the second climb as it came out of the basin?

jasoncaville

Reaction score
That looked like the slide path of 2003; did that let loose in two places? A little on the first climb and more on the second climb as it came out of the basin?

Ya this is the slide that came right out onto the lake, taking trees with it back in '03. As far as I could tell it was just one big slide coming from the basin. It made its way down to the flat part and about a quarter of the way to the lake. There was about a foot of fresh snow on top of the debris so it must have happened a couple days ago.

jasoncaville

Reaction score
We rode into the back of Mear Lake today. We took a safe route through the trees that comes out into the meadow in the back. "Big Slide 1" took trees out and left most bent over. It made its way to the end of the clearing and started down the hill through the trees down to the meadow. This slide was huge. I've seen avalanches in this spot before but none this big. "Big Slide 2 left debris in the meadow. We promptly turned around and got out of there. I'm worried that more slides like these are still going to come down in Tundra, Wayne's World, Smiths, etc. Please share this post.
MearLakeSlides.jpg

jasoncaville

Reaction score
I'll try to put some pics and video of the slides soon. My memory card might have been damaged. Says it contains no files...

MearLakeSlides.png

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode into the back of Mear Lake today. We took a safe route through the trees that comes out into the meadow in the back. "Big Slide 1" took trees out and left most bent over. It made its way to the end of the clearing and started down the hill through the trees down to the meadow. This slide was huge. I've seen avalanches in this spot before but none this big. "Big Slide 2 left debris in the meadow. We promptly turned around and got out of there. I'm worried that more slides like these are still going to come down in Tundra, Wayne's World, Smiths, etc. Please share this post.
View attachment 125850
Nice Video looked like alot of fun.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
View attachment 125850

Thanks for sharing. I've spent the last week in Sicamous and Revy and I'm trying to catch up to the local conditions. The "Big Slide" is scary! Always thought there were enough hollows and humps that it wouldn't make it that far. A real eye opener again. The CAC has been saying, "they will go further than ever because of the huge snow."

Has the Crossing Creek trail been covered since it was cleared out last week?

jasoncaville

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I've spent the last week in Sicamous and Revy and I'm trying to catch up to the local conditions. The "Big Slide" is scary! Always thought there were enough hollows and humps that it wouldn't make it that far. A real eye opener again. The CAC has been saying, "they will go further than ever because of the huge snow."

Has the Crossing Creek trail been covered since it was cleared out last week?

It was snowing when we came across the slide debris so I didn't get a good look at where the slide came down. I've seen those hollows filled up by a big slide years ago. It might have come down just to the right (when looking at the basin) of the area where there's hollows. More of a clear/straight runout. I'm working on recovering helmet cam footage of the slide. Might be able to get a better idea of what happened.

The road up is still clear from when it was fixed up last week.

jasoncaville

Reaction score
Here's a before and after shot of "Big Slide 2" This debris might have been from "Big Slide 1." After reviewing the helmet cam footage it looks like snow blasted through the trees from the right and NOT straight off the cliff straight ahead in the pics.

BeforeAfter2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom