Drinking & Riding?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never carry booze when riding, not adverse to a beer at the cabin but don't miss it when it's not there. Maybe I'm just cheap.....If you can't have fun without the hooch, maybe it's time to quit......

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Cum on people, let's debate this whole issue! I see there is already over 700 hits and only 30 some replys? Let' see what everyone really thinks!

Not really a lot to debate here....

First, drinking at all while operating any vehicle is illegal, so now there are only moral issues and beliefs left...

Many of us have or do still drink while sledding, many of us choose not to...There is no real debate, alcohol and drugs impair judgement period...I have young kids on the hill, and want to be a good example to them even if I didnt follow all the rules when I was younger. If others choose to drink on the hill that is THEIR business until it affects me or my children then it becomes MY business.

You cannot debate whether or not drinking and drugs impairs ones judgement, there are about ten thousand medical surveys already proving this so no debate there...

SKIROULE, I am not jumping on you here, just think this thread should stick to opinion, either you are in favor of carrying some road pops or you arent. Nothing to debate, you will not convince anyone here that there is a right and wrong. There is law and fact, after that it is personal choice.

I work in the oilfield where drugs (not so much alcohol) is a real issue and there are way too many guys that *think* they are just fine after a few hits and some even think they are better LOL NOT TRUE!!

I am not here to try and change anybodys position on this, but it sure is an interesting topic...

Thanks for letting my voice my own personal opinion here...

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i drink socialy with just about everything i do, just the way i am, i enjoy my beer and will continue to do so, i dont go out and get hammered, but see no issue with stopping on a trail, and having a drink with freinds.......

think about it this way....we all hate it when a disrepectful group of riders go out, make a mess, tresspass and give us a bad name.......we dont want to be grouped in together with them.......so dont sit here and group all of the drinkers, smokers, ect into the same group....no doubt there are people out there drinking to much and attempting things that shouldnt be attmeped, but why should this reflect on us who have a beer or 2 socially while ditch bangin, or puttin along the trail???

just my .02.......cheers :beer:

BOONDOCKINDAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey! if chit goes bad on the hill one day like an avy or and accident i wanna be at my best so i can help find, dig out, or administer first aid treatment to a fellow sledder. the last thing i want to do is tell someones wife or husband that i was too buzzed to find him or her and now we have to go to a funeral. next time ur on the hill and have had a few wobblies or a left handed cigarette do a beacon search and see how well you do i bet you would do better if you were sober. it only takes a couple of beers or a couple of puffs to effect ones performance. i know i couldnt live with the feeling that i could have maybe saved somesone live but couldnt because i chose to catch a buzz of on kind or another. just my thought on the situation!

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NO,not at all..

we were in about 30 kms from Mountain park picnic area near Cadamin a few yrs ago and came across a pair of Morons on sleds with case of beer and bottle of rye on the seat, they blew a belt on one and had no spare, DUH.

porkhaaks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will NOT make friends on this... REPORT an impaired driver.... Oh that is right the boys will not sit at the parking lot... Cause the would need to bring in a lot more guys to help with the paper work. ZERO TOLERANCE

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pack a water or gatorade and have no use for drugs. I used to smoke years ago, but never drugs. I don't really have a problem with someone that has a beer out in the hills, but do you really need alcohol??? I like to have a few beers after I get back to town. I don't have any use for people who drink on the highways though, and there's lots of that goes on too:nono:

chemmod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Water on the sled only. If you can't go 8 hours without a beer and wait till the end of the day you have a problem!!
Of all the stupid things I've done on a
sled low and behold Alcohol was involved. I wonder why?

Plus it's not only the 10 beer you had through the day on the trail but the 10 beer you had before driving you and your buddies $100 grand worth of equipment back to town.

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey! if chit goes bad on the hill one day like an avy or and accident i wanna be at my best so i can help find, dig out, or administer first aid treatment to a fellow sledder. the last thing i want to do is tell someones wife or husband that i was too buzzed to find him or her and now we have to go to a funeral. next time ur on the hill and have had a few wobblies or a left handed cigarette do a beacon search and see how well you do i bet you would do better if you were sober. it only takes a couple of beers or a couple of puffs to effect ones performance. i know i couldnt live with the feeling that i could have maybe saved somesone live but couldnt because i chose to catch a buzz of on kind or another. just my thought on the situation!

And I suppose you are going to tell me you have never operated a car or truck down the highway after having a drink. Wouldn't you want to be in your best condition then too, in case someone needs help.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
again most of you are bringing up points having to do with being "impaired"......everyone in their right mind knows damn well that is not ok.......but having a beer with friends ?????......everyone will preach right and wrong.....none of us who are ok with a few beer packed for a trip are condoning getting drunk on machines......but again you want to group it all into ZERO TOLERANCE........ that's saying all teens are bad because some steal cars.

again i'll bring up what someone else already said.....you've never gotten into a car after a drink at a restaurant or over at a friends and driven home in a 5000lb vehicle....with thousands of other cars on the road, filled with thousands of people, but its not ok for us to have a beer out on a trail with far less other sleds within close proximity and a much more wide open area......

i dont take away from anything any of you are saying, we all have our opinions the law states you are not "impaired" until over .08 no matter what you are operating. this is like arguing religion.....whats the point.......just agree to disagree

xcya

Reaction score
ONLY A COUPLE BEER,WHILE ON A RIDE??????? WHAT I SEE IS HARD LIQURE BEING DRANK OUT OF THE BOTTLE ON THE TRAIL, NO LUNCH INVOLVED. YET TO SEE BEER AND FOOD TOGETHER. WHY DO IT AT ALL? IT SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF PEOPLE. HOW MANY PEOPLE WOULD YOU TRUST, NOT KNOWING THEM, IF THEY SAID TO YOU I ONLY HAD ONE OR TWO WITH LUNCH.:rolleyes: I HAVE TOTAL RESPECT FOR ALL ZERO TOLERANCE RIDERS OUT THERE AND WOULD ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO HAVE A CHANG OF HEART BEFORE WE HERE ABOUT A MEMBER OF SNOW & MUD GETTING KILLED OR KILLING SOMEONE ELS. PS- I LOVE THIS SPORT, LETS KEEP IT CLEAN:)

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
ONLY A COUPLE BEER,WHILE ON A RIDE??????? WHAT I SEE IS HARD LIQURE BEING DRANK OUT OF THE BOTTLE ON THE TRAIL, NO LUNCH INVOLVED. YET TO SEE BEER AND FOOD TOGETHER. WHY DO IT AT ALL? IT SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF PEOPLE. HOW MANY PEOPLE WOULD YOU TRUST, NOT KNOWING THEM, IF THEY SAID TO YOU I ONLY HAD ONE OR TWO WITH LUNCH.:rolleyes: I HAVE TOTAL RESPECT FOR ALL ZERO TOLERANCE RIDERS OUT THERE AND WOULD ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO HAVE A CHANG OF HEART BEFORE WE HERE ABOUT A MEMBER OF SNOW & MUD GETTING KILLED OR KILLING SOMEONE ELS. PS- I LOVE THIS SPORT, LETS KEEP IT CLEAN:)

please refer to first paragraph of my previous post

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahhh here we go again,Im in the group that does take afew beers with me,most of my group does,we enjoy a nice cold one while sittin takin in the view,Myself I stay away from the cabins theres ussualy just a bunch of braggers or the the ones that figure there views are the right way,so we tend not to socailize with many on the hill,as for the smokin pot how many of those who bitch about it have actually tried it?When it comes to crashing I agree those that are pissed cause fear to the rest of us but Ive personally seen lots of straight people riding like idiots,crashing and gettihg hurt or hurting others,do we condem them.Im not sayin riding drunk is right definatly not but not all deaths are booze related.My last coment I guess would be that at the next suds night there will be a dd or taxis for all in attendance,no different in my opinoin,anyways I will continue to have afew beers up on hill,smoke a doob or two and enjoy it so if you see me better stay away Im dangerous:rolleyes:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Often it takes more thanone brush to paint a picture....you all bi%ch and complain when "all sledders" are grouped as irresponsible...." why paint us all with the same brush" you say..... Well fugg off...take your hypocritical 0 tolerance chit somewhere else.... If you see me with A beer and want to assume I had 9 before that one then all the power to ya, judgemental people pizz me off anyhow so chances are I won't like you...

Like plio said, IMPAIRED is IMPAIRED and a BEER IS A BEER...this topic has been beat to death on here and opinions are like azzholes....everyone has one some have two due to marriage.

If you see me having a beer and have an issue with it...drive on by cause I don't need to hear your self rightious holy'r than thou bullchit....

Just sayin......:d:d

I'm sure I'll see most of you on the trail, we can have a beer.... to the rest....move along.....

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
This whole thread really has very little value...

We each have our own views on this, and heck those views may even change occasionally, who knows. I agree that a thread like this is like discussing religion, nothing of any real value will come of it...

For me, I make my own decisions, and I know the rest of you do as well. To keep the peace and keep the friends that I have met here, I am out of this one...

Drink or not drink, be safe and have fun!

Brad

Maverick

Reaction score
I agree with the don't drink and drive regardless of what you are operating. We have a rule ride hard, enjoy the day, and get back to the truck to enjoy a cold beer and a cigar ... heck we love the trip down the mountain. Lets all do our best to educate others .... as futile as it sometimes seems.

Safe riding everyone .....

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It actually bothers me to think that there are some who are so righteous about their "ZERO TOLERANCE" rule that if they saw me drinking one of my two beer/coolers on the hill they would choose to stay away from me because I might be dangerous. Seriously? That is craziness. I am a hardworking, responsible mother of 3 and when I have time off to go sledding, I thoroughly enjoy and have earned my nice cold bevy's after sweating my arse off in the snow. But, you would never know what a kooky, fun person I am because you drove on by based on the premise that I am getting chit-faced and endangering others.

And what is this crapola drivel about: "drinking and operating any motor vehicle being illegal, Period?!?" I am no lawyer, but last I checked, as long as you are under the legal limit, it is still in the realm of legal. I am pretty sure my two coolers drank over the course of an entire day are not enough to make me a criminal.

I ride for fun. I live to come home for my kids. I drink because it tastes seriously good and I know my limits and never, ever, ever, push that limit. But you wouldn't ride with me??? Ooookay... whatevah!!

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks sledmamma, i too wasn't aware that that i could stop for a drink and then drive again without commiting an offence. i thought when they said 0.08 was the limit, that 0.08 was the limit, not 0.00. hmmm, guess you learn something new everyday.

and don't get me wrong, i ususaly don't drink and drive my seld at the same time, i tried once but spilled my beer, so now i always make sure to stop first.

personally, i always carry a couple road pops with me. i don't over do it, but i really enjoy all aspects of sledding. the riding and the catching up with friends, and so usually when we stop for lunch i have a drink. nothing tastes better after riding hard than a nice tasty cold one. anything i do drink on the mountain, i probably sweat out anyways.

i'll continue to bring beer with me, if you don't want to ride with me, it won't hurt my feelings.

and seeing as i just got home from riding, i think i'll go have another now. all this talk about beer is making me thirsty....

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
It actually bothers me to think that there are some who are so righteous about their "ZERO TOLERANCE" rule that if they saw me drinking one of my two beer/coolers on the hill they would choose to stay away from me because I might be dangerous. Seriously? That is craziness. I am a hardworking, responsible mother of 3 and when I have time off to go sledding, I thoroughly enjoy and have earned my nice cold bevy's after sweating my arse off in the snow. But, you would never know what a kooky, fun person I am because you drove on by based on the premise that I am getting chit-faced and endangering others.

And what is this crapola drivel about: "drinking and operating any motor vehicle being illegal, Period?!?" I am no lawyer, but last I checked, as long as you are under the legal limit, it is still in the realm of legal. I am pretty sure my two coolers drank over the course of an entire day are not enough to make me a criminal.

I ride for fun. I live to come home for my kids. I drink because it tastes seriously good and I know my limits and never, ever, ever, push that limit. But you wouldn't ride with me??? Ooookay... whatevah!!

Sledmama

I was the one that spouted that drivel, and perhaps I should have been more clear!

What I was referring to I guess would be more of an open liquor law, and yes we can legally operate a vehicle while under .08, but what I was meaning is that you cannot legally drive down the road while sipping a beer, cant drive a boat while having a beer, and cannot ride a sled legally while sipping a beer. Its no differnt than getting busted in the parking lot of a bar even if your keys arent in the ignition.

Drinking and driving
Canada has strict laws about drinking alcohol and driving a motor vehicle. It is against the law:

•To drive a vehicle if your ability to drive is impaired by alcohol or drugs.

•To refuse to give a proper sample of your breath or blood if requested by a police officer.

•To have a level of alcohol in your blood of more than 0.08 per cent while driving a vehicle.
Drivers who break any of these rules automatically have their driver's licence suspended for one month.

It also is against the law to have an open bottle of alcohol in a vehicle. Even unopened containers of alcohol must be out of reach of the driver and passengers (for example, in the trunk of a car).

If you break these laws, you may face one or more of the following consequences:

•Temporary or permanent loss of your driver's licence.
•A large fine.
•Increased costs for insurance coverage.
•Mandatory participation in special classes for impaired drivers.
•A jail term.

Anyways, I have and at some point again will have a beer on the hill, that is my choice, I am not preaching ZERO TOLERANCE because I dont have the right, and I would happily come and say hello if I saw you on the hill, that is not what I was saying. Just offering my opinion on what I am doing now (mostly because I am a newb and have kids with me).

Top Bottom