Drinking & Riding?

Apextenn

Reaction score
I have no issues with guys have a few pops up on the hills in the boat or on the quad the main problem though is moderation it is to bad that a few wreak it for everyone else and end up having a crash and hitting something then the authorities get involved and next thing you know their are more and more laws and pretty soon we wont be able to walk after having a few. I really wish people would just be more responsible and if you are going out with a guy that you know has problems tell him no more visa versa. The backcountry the lake or the quad trails are not the place to be hammared especially seeing you are controlling something with allot of power and has the capability of huring yoursself or others just my .02 cents

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is drown ding? I was not even aware that it was the number one killer of sledders, I thought it was just a low mentality. lol. JK.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is drown ding? I was not even aware that it was the number one killer of sledders, I thought it was just a low mentality. lol. JK.

My guess is that he meant "Drowning" and I think he is referring to 'dry drowning' where the lungs are deprived of oxygen when a person gets buried... just my respiratory therapist guess, as I never knew this little fact before either. I am curious if its true or not, cuz I sure have seen alot of sled trauma in the ER and I think its pretty prevalent too... don't know.

Anyway, don't drink and drive so you won't find out!!:nono:

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with what people are saying on both sides of the arguement. A beer or two over the day is using while still thinking. Not ideal, but chances are very slim. If something were to happen it would likely be an valid accident. I normally dont bring beer, but if I do, it's a beer or two for myself and others. Not enough to generally affect thought.

Smoking on the other hand is more difficult. Usually it's stoned or not. So yea. I agree that smoking generally shouldn't be acceptable.

Another worry is after sledding drinking. I see and have been guilty of the "loading" up beer. Problem is I see others multiply that "beer" into "beers". That's not acceptable either in my eyes unless they aren't driving.

As somebody said, use in moderation as a beverage, not for "drinking"

porkhaaks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

LOL sorry .. DROWNING ... die through submersion in inhalation of water: she drowned in the pond ... YES number ONE killer of snowmobilers in CANADA ! That is because of the EAST provinces and all the LAKE riding....... I was a sledding and drinker years lots of years ago, Ever one I ride with is Zero Tolerance... In fact I do NOT know any one that DRINKS and RIDES.. BUT I do see lots of sledders doing it. SO my 2 cents is still ZERO TOLERANCE .. THANKS LODER

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with what people are saying on both sides of the arguement. A beer or two over the day is using while still thinking. Not ideal, but chances are very slim. If something were to happen it would likely be an valid accident. I normally dont bring beer, but if I do, it's a beer or two for myself and others. Not enough to generally affect thought.

Smoking on the other hand is more difficult. Usually it's stoned or not. So yea. I agree that smoking generally shouldn't be acceptable.

Another worry is after sledding drinking. I see and have been guilty of the "loading" up beer. Problem is I see others multiply that "beer" into "beers". That's not acceptable either in my eyes unless they aren't driving.

As somebody said, use in moderation as a beverage, not for "drinking"

Ya I think all the talk about drinking after sledding is done in the lounge. Not driving down the highway, cause that would be just stupid.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I see both sides, and honestly have done both...abstained completly and also had a few (no more than 2) during the ride, usually when we stop for lunch. This used to depend on who I was out with.

Now that I have taken up sledding and am a bit older and have some greater responsibilities (wife and 3 girls) I can honestly say that I am now of the opinion that I will NOT drink while operating a sled. If my buddies want to, I will express my opinion, but I will not join in. I actually believe that even 2 affects my judgement, and now that I bring one or two of the kids with me, its just not worth the risk. I am more than happy packing juice and water, and saving the beers for the end of the day.

Just my opinion...

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My "riding buddies" have changed over the years. My "riding habits" have changed over the years. My "riding style" has changed over the years.

Saying that, I can safely say, "I have seen the light"! I found that even one beer affected reaction time and at the speeds and crazyness in my younger days it wasn't good. Zero Tolerance while on the sled and it has been that way for quite awhile.

I don't ride with guys that pound them back and stay away from them out on the trails (I have actually gone home early or left them and ridden elsewhere). I can handle a guy having one or two for lunch (but it still irks me but I will only say something to my kids).

We ride in such technical stuff that there is no room for error. Water, water, and more water! A beer at the end of the day, priceless!

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just received a phone call this morning. One of the guys from work (hell of a guy everyone liked, best foreman I have seen in a long time) was killed last night after having a couple cocktails and getting on the sled for a ride. Throttle stuck and both the sled and him hit a tree.

Last edited:

porkhaaks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My "riding buddies" have changed over the years. My "riding habits" have changed over the years. My "riding style" has changed over the years.

Saying that, I can safely say, "I have seen the light"! I found that even one beer affected reaction time and at the speeds and crazyness in my younger days it wasn't good. Zero Tolerance while on the sled and it has been that way for quite awhile.

I don't ride with guys that pound them back and stay away from them out on the trails (I have actually gone home early or left them and ridden elsewhere). I can handle a guy having one or two for lunch (but it still irks me but I will only say something to my kids).

We ride in such technical stuff that there is no room for error. Water, water, and more water! A beer at the end of the day, priceless!

THANK YOU ferniesnow,,, VERY WELL SAID ....////. dale dalueg --- sad very very sad .. condolences to the family from all here...

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Booze and any motorized vehicle is a terribly bad mix. I've seen and dealt with the results way too many times over my career and it's almost always the innocent that are the most seriously affected. Gatorade is the only thing that goes in my pack. Some of the guys I ride with will have one with lunch and maybe one back at the truck 4 hours later but that's it. I don't touch it until I get home. The legal limit in BC is way to high....08. I partied one evening and consumed approximately 14 to 16 drinks in a 6 hour period. By my standards, I was drunk. I knew the RCMP officers waiting for the drunks in the parking lot and I asked them if I could blow,(take a breathalyzer test) get your minds out of the gutter, just to see how impaired I was. I couldn't believe that I was BELOW .08. In that condition I was legally allowed to be on the road. Ridiculous!:rant: Laws are also way too relaxed for drunks behind the wheel.:mad:

SKIROULE

Reaction score
Think about it this way, Would you drive down the street or the highway with a few beers beside you on the seat and pull over, get out of your vehicle and have a beer on the side of the road? For most of us likely not because you would get in alot of crap if you got caught and is just plain wrong. So why is it any different on the trail? The laws are the same, you can still get an impaired and or any of the liquior related charges the same as on the road. But that's not what concerns me it is wondering if the guy hurdling twards me on the other side of the trail is drunk,stoned or bolth. It usually ends the same. The innocent people are the ones that get hurt!:nono:

Ms. Swimmer

Reaction score
We have zero tolerance in our group for drinking and riding. Their is a time and place for everything and out in the back country is neither the time nor place. We ride in a group with our kids it frosts my butt every time we walk into a shelter and their are people sitting there drinking. We work very hard to promote to our kids the good clean family time that sledding provides for us. You don't always need the crutch of drugs or alcohol. Their are lots of other beverages available to quench your thirst.

This is not only a bad idea in the back country but also in the parking lot. When I see a group drinking we try to get our stuff loaded and out of the parking lot before them because we don't want to be following them down the highway. Would it really be an inconvenience to wait 1/2 hour until you got to your hotel?

Anyways we preach to our kids about making wise choices in the backcountry because at times their is precious little room for bad decisions as it can cost you or someone else their life. Decisions need to be made with a clear head.

Okay I'll quit ranting this is just a topic near to my heart and I get riled up about it quite easily.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it would be a good idea to let everyone know how stupid this is to do at the next SUDS NITE event?:nono: What do you think?;)

GEEZE can we say irony here. Lets all drive our trucks to the bar have a few drinks as we site and talk about drinking and driving ??????HMMM then we get in our trucks and drive home :beer::eek:

sorry but can not see the difference between a couple on the trail or a couple at the lounge while watching the hockey game ??

my 2c

SKIROULE

Reaction score
I would like to see the admin on S&M do an open poll of who is for drinking/drugs on the trail and who is against. Sadly I think we would show that pro drinking/drugs would far out number the against. Then when eveyone is crying about area closures and the overall negitive opinion of all offroad users.We could look back at the poll and maybe get an overall view of this sport and the attitude it relays to everyone else.:realmad:

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to see the admin on S&M do an open poll of who is for drinking/drugs on the trail and who is against. Sadly I think we would show that pro drinking/drugs would far out number the against. Then when eveyone is crying about area closures and the overall negitive opinion of all offroad users.We could look back at the poll and maybe get an overall view of this sport and the attitude it relays to everyone else.:realmad:

Drugs are illegal!!!! Only dopes do dope. lol. There are some really good points here. I understand that bringing a couple wobbly pops on the ride, is against the law. It is different from stopping at a lounge, having a drink, then going again. Like I have stated before, if I am having a drink, it is not in the mountains, or when we are riding hard, and not around kids. It is done usually during a leisurely ride, and only 2 - 3 max through out the day. This post has been making me wonder about that though. Do I really need to have it when I am out riding? Am I that weak? Or is it that it just tastes so good to have a nice cold one, when relaxing and bullchitting with the guys. Would it be the same with drinking water. Probably. I go with out in the mountains. Why not any other time? I guess I just really haven't put that much thought into it? Thanks for making me think about it, that what I love this site for!!

SKIROULE

Reaction score
Cum on people, let's debate this whole issue! I see there is already over 700 hits and only 30 some replys? Let' see what everyone really thinks!

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cum on people, let's debate this whole issue! I see there is already over 700 hits and only 30 some replys? Let' see what everyone really thinks!

No debate needed. fact. drinking while operating any motor vehicle is illegal in Canada.
blast through the powder on the hill and blast through the beers in the hot tub !!!!!!

Top Bottom