Double check your speed on green tickets!

blar

Reaction score
I got a speed on green ticket in the mail a couple of months ago from the intersection of 170 St and 95 Ave in the west end. The ticket claimed that I was doing 84 kph in a 60 kph and was fined $140.00. On the ticket there is two pictures taken .5 seconds apart, take a look at the distance you traveled. On my ticket I went just over one length of my truck about 23 feet. If I was doing 84 kph I would have traveled 76.5 feet per second or 38 feet per 1/2 second. I contacted the general supervisor from The City of Edmonton traffic safety and said whats wrong with this picture. His reply was

"I've reviewed the images for this violation. The speed calculation is determined while the vehicle travels over the loops - not how far they travel after crossing the stop line. The technology in the pavement that communicates with the computer system is validated remotely twice each day and manually every 21 days. Should you wish further information you can attend the First Appearance Centre as indicated on your notice. We believe the technology was working properly on this date at this site. As the charge has been laid the matter is before the courts and in their jurisdiction."

My court date was scheduled for next Friday however today I received a letter in the mail from the crown that they are dropping the charges. I didn't even get a chance to present my evidence.

Earlier this year 150000 green light tickets were thrown out and/or refunded. This ticket shows there obviously is a problem still.

Last edited:

blar

Reaction score
speed 1.JPG speed 2.JPG

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I assume your the white dodge? If so how do they determine your in lane 4 when it looks like your in either three or two considering there's only three lanes there and one turn lane.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought they can't give you a ticket if more than one vehicle is in the picture. Did they send the other guy a ticket too????

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FKN SCUM period!!!!!!!!!!! I have NO use for these USELESS never worked a day in their lives SCUM ..ha there! Now what, ya gunna gimme a ticket for a "mean" post huh huh :p

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought they can't give you a ticket if more than one vehicle is in the picture. Did they send the other guy a ticket too????

Sounds like these fixed cameras are an exception to the rule. Not 100% sure how they work, but with the right technology (not radar) it probably wouldn't be hard for them to determin which vehicle is speeding.

FKN SCUM period!!!!!!!!!!! I have NO use for these USELESS never worked a day in their lives SCUM ..ha there! Now what, ya gunna gimme a ticket for a "mean" post huh huh :p

Yeah, these guys seriously dip into my wallet, but I don't complain about it too much 'cuase there's way less real radar traps out there now. I lost my license a few times for demerits before they started the deploying the demeritless photo radar traps. In fact the Driver Control Board says that it may be years before I get it back if I ever loose it again. The last time I lost my license, they suspended it for two months (instead of the standard one) to give me time to write them a report that stated my problem, identified the cause of my problem, suggested measure I would take to solve my problem, and listed ways I would monitor my progress in solving the problem. Not chit, they really made me write a report!

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like these fixed cameras are an exception to the rule. Not 100% sure how they work, but with the right technology (not radar) it probably wouldn't be hard for them to determin which vehicle is speeding.

Yeah, these guys seriously dip into my wallet, but I don't complain about it too much 'cuase there's way less real radar traps out there now. I lost my license a few times for demerits before they started the deploying the demeritless photo radar traps. In fact the Driver Control Board says that it may be years before I get it back if I ever loose it again. The last time I lost my license, they suspended it for two months (instead of the standard one) to give me time to write them a report that stated my problem, identified the cause of my problem, suggested measure I would take to solve my problem, and listed ways I would monitor my progress in solving the problem. Not chit, they really made me write a report!
Did they make you stay after school and write "I will not speed ever again" one thousand times on the blackboard?

Edit: which reminds me of a time I was detained after school and made to write lines...I went and found one of those chalk-holder gizmos that the music teachers have for drawing 6 lines on the board...did my lines with that. Was genious I say.

Last edited:

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but gotta say it... If you don't speed, you won't get a ticket. If you don't get tickets, you won't lose your license. They don't dip into your pocket book on their own. just sayin'...

blar

Reaction score

That's what I thought too and I contacted the city to get more information on the setup. If you look before the intersection there are two white rectangles in each lane. These are called loops which are sensors that when you drive over them they calculate your speed. This is how they can monitor the speed in all the lanes There is no radar used on the green light speed cameras.

blar

Reaction score
I gave you my 1/2 second distance (38 feet) for the claimed speed of 84 kph. The distance traveled at 60 kph is 27 feet per 1/2 second. My truck is 21 feet long and I traveled just over a length of my truck in the two pictures (about 27 feet). I was doing the speed limit, I was not speeding!

blar

Reaction score
I also called the city to confirm the dimensions of the lines in the intersection. Crosswalks are 2.5 meters (8.2 feet) in width, traffic lanes are 3.5 meters (11.5 feet) in width, about 20 feet total. Again confirming the distance traveled in the pictures.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did they make you stay after school and write "I will not speed ever again" one thousand times on the blackboard?

Edit: which reminds me of a time I was detained after school and made to write lines...I went and found one of those chalk-holder gizmos that the music teachers have for drawing 6 lines on the board...did my lines with that. Was genious I say.

lol, would have been a heck of a lot more painless that sitting before the boad, watching them try to figure out if I was being sincere in my report.

Sorry, but gotta say it... If you don't speed, you won't get a ticket. If you don't get tickets, you won't lose your license. They don't dip into your pocket book on their own. just sayin'...

Hello group, my name is Dean and I am a speeder. I guess that's the first step, eleven more to go.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh just got one of these in the mail last night from fort sask. The one on the outskirt of town by DOW chemical I believe. 86 in a 70.. not sure what to think. My photos only show the seconds, not the ms so no way to determine the picture intervals. But in the photos there is a truck length between where my truck was and then currently is. Not really worth the travel to fight a $100 ticket, guess thats how they make there money!

Top Bottom