Different oils at -40

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It can happen. You never plan to ride at that temp but in some situations you have to. I rode my big turbo ar about -37 no windshield, dam cold but we chose to help.

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really sure why someone would take the risk running an aftermarket injection oil in a 19K sled. If an engine fails for any reason it's easy for the OEM's to deny warranty. They wouldn't know the difference or care between Kmart 2 stroke oil or Amsoil. My other take on this is what is the benefit or gain by running an non OEM oil? Is it that much cheaper? Does it give you 10 more HP? Does it protect the engine better? The pour point is one of the easiest things to do. Doesn't mean much. These are not the old style mechanical oil pumps any more on these new sleds. Who the hell rides at -40 these days BTW. Maybe when I was 16. If Amsoil wants to put their money where there mouth is... I would want to see dyno numbers on all three brands, engine tear downs after x amount of Km's on both Amsoil and OEM's. Compare carbon buildup and so on.... If anyone out there runs aftermarket oil, let us know what the benefits are and why its better.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really sure why someone would take the risk running an aftermarket injection oil in a 19K sled. If an engine fails for any reason it's easy for the OEM's to deny warranty. They wouldn't know the difference or care between Kmart 2 stroke oil or Amsoil. My other take on this is what is the benefit or gain by running an non OEM oil? Is it that much cheaper? Does it give you 10 more HP? Does it protect the engine better? The pour point is one of the easiest things to do. Doesn't mean much. These are not the old style mechanical oil pumps any more on these new sleds. Who the hell rides at -40 these days BTW. Maybe when I was 16. If Amsoil wants to put their money where there mouth is... I would want to see dyno numbers on all three brands, engine tear downs after x amount of Km's on both Amsoil and OEM's. Compare carbon buildup and so on.... If anyone out there runs aftermarket oil, let us know what the benefits are and why its better.
Shell Advance Full Synthetic. Why? Can get it a Canadian Tire and it about 40% cheaper when on sale.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Skidoo does still offer warranty if you run AMS Oil. I remember this issue years back. Ams oil actually had a lawsuit against skidoo for not warrantying their oil because it was a superior product. They won and skidoo has to warranty engines running with amsoil. Watch the piston wear comparison videos. It might change your mind.

Reactions: RXN

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skidoo does still offer warranty if you run AMS Oil. I remember this issue years back. Ams oil actually had a lawsuit against skidoo for not warrantying their oil because it was a superior product. They won and skidoo has to warranty engines running with amsoil. Watch the piston wear comparison videos. It might change your mind.

Fair enough. Unless the dealer is carrying both brands of oil, I've been buying BRP oil out convenience and not getting the 20 questions because of an oil related issue. One stop shop. No one ever just buys oil when one walks in to the dealer. Does Amsoil print the names of the big three on their bottles to say it exceeds OEM standards?

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Unless the dealer is carrying both brands of oil, I've been buying BRP oil out convenience and not getting the 20 questions because of an oil related issue. One stop shop. No one ever just buys oil when one walks in to the dealer. Does Amsoil print the names of the big three on their bottles to say it exceeds OEM standards?

just curious....are you including SkiDoo to be part of the big three? Or are you only speaking of Cat, Yamaha and Polaris?

Last edited:

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I dug up the comparison on amsoils website. Worth the read.

https://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g3039.pdf

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
D Fuson_8_20_39 AM.jpg

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shell Advance Full Synthetic. Why? Can get it a Canadian Tire and it about 40% cheaper when on sale.

The every day price at Walmart for this stuff is the same as the twice a year sale price at CT. Better to support CT I guess but just an FYI.

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just curious....are you including SkiDoo to be part of the big three? Or are you only speaking of Cat, Yamaha and Polaris?

Well..... unless Yamaha is producing a 2 cycle engine in a current sled, THERE not part of this thead.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the end if your dealers sells you pancake syrup to use for injector oil, that is what you should buy. This is because they are more likely to stand by you when you have a warranty issue even if it is paint chipping off your running boards, let alone a motor problem.

There are many guys that have been brand loyal and have spent a lot of cash on toys and when a questionable claim is submitted, got covered under "good will".

It does happen.

Top Bottom