diesel particulate filter probelms

Gogetter

Reaction score
I just bought a 2008 6.4 F350 and on a couple of occasions when the vehilce I assume went into its clean out DPF mode it just bellowed out white smoke, it was embarassing for a new truck and I felt sorry for the poor guy behind me as the fog was so thick I completly lost sight of him . Has anybody else had a similar problem and if so do you know whats causing the probelm????

fordman502

Reaction score
i have an 08 250 6.4 liter only has 12000 miles but its gone into its clean cycle 2 times with no results like that just made a funny noise no smoke

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was getting that same thing with my Semi(Kenworth/Cummins) and it turn out the burn ignition was not timed right with the fuel that was being sprayed in, went away on it's own as mech's had no idea how to set timing on it.

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2008 6.4 F350 and on a couple of occasions when the vehilce I assume went into its clean out DPF mode it just bellowed out white smoke, it was embarassing for a new truck and I felt sorry for the poor guy behind me as the fog was so thick I completly lost sight of him . Has anybody else had a similar problem and if so do you know whats causing the probelm????

I have the same truck and I would say something is not right with yours, mine does not smoke.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2008 6.4 F350 and on a couple of occasions when the vehilce I assume went into its clean out DPF mode it just bellowed out white smoke....

Did you buy the truck new or used? What Job # is it (on the door sill)?

If it is new, reguardless what the Job # is it should have the latest flash, which will tell you when it is in regen.

There are several broadcast messages in regards to white smoke. Some point you in the direction of coolant leak (read - egr cooler leak) and others suggests a fuel problem. This problem was more common for Job 1 trucks but haven't seen anyone mention it in awhile, so maybe a reflash for the Job 1 trucks helped the problem.:shrug:

Definetly not normal.

Like Fordman502, mine has had two regens in 22000Kms; One at 2300kms and the other 8500kms. Some extra noise, poor milage, but zero smoke.

You might want to try a post here or take it to the dealer if you have warranty.

fmx

Reaction score
I have a 08 f450, I had it do the same thing. I took it into ford and found out that the latest computer update was not done on the truck. Since then the truck has not done it and that was over 3 months ago. I would suggest you ask them to run a scan on it and make sure iy is updated. I am sure this is the same problem as it is exactly what mine did.

Stupid DPF sh*t!!!

I wish the new trucks did not have to have it on them.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya id say take it in there is a problem some where in the regen cycle,
Is the truck chipped?

the guys that say there trucks have only regened 2 or 3 times in 20000km that cant be right, what are you guys seeing for MPG, is it realy crappy?

mine is chipped and it regens bout every 500-800km depends on how i drive it and if im towing. I get anywhere around 16.5 to 19.5mpg depends on where i have my chip set and my speed.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the guys that say there trucks have only regened 2 or 3 times in 20000km that cant be right, what are you guys seeing for MPG, is it realy crappy?...

Crappy milage towing and in town, but good on the highway empty. 9 to 13 mpg towing (7000# plus two quads and sled deck) and in town driving, and 16 to 22 mpg on highway empty depending on the speed I drive. 60% of my milage is towing, mostly on the highway, so dpf is likely passively regenning. Have not had an active regen in over 13000kms, and my tail pipe is still factory chrome shiney.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 F350. Put and Edge chip with Juice on it and the juice display shows when the engine goes into regren. I have 75000 KM on the truck now and the engine goes into regen several times a day if I am on the Hiway. In the city maybe couple times a day.
When I first got the truck a couple times leaving a light the thing smoked like a white chimney. Yeh talk about feel like a Retard..
Now when the engine goes into regen sometimes it smokes and sometimes not. Very hard on fuel too when it goes into regen.
I don't now what the deal is. Ford can't even tell me. Just shake my head.
If we are all spending 30% more on fuel and that's supposed to help the environment?? Makes alot of sense to me...
Good luck with that.........:rolleyes:

fmx

Reaction score
just ordered dpf delete sysyem for my truck so I will not have to worry about that. 22 mpg here I come!!!

Gogetter

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I took my mean bad smoking machine in too a local Ford dealer and advised them that my internet search indicated Ford had recalled a number of 2008 F 350 with the high smoke regen problems by reflashing the computer or something like that so that higher exhaust tempretures would ocurr and in essence burn the smoke completely off before it left the tail pipe . When I told them about this they said they stoped doing that because it caused a 12 foot flame in some cases to shoot out the tail pipe . Poor Bas*!*d sitting beside you. Any way they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix. They suggested I should stop idling my truck to prevent the soot build up in the DPF, ya right whens its -30 below I'm not going to idle the truck. Give me a break Ford, if dont get this thing resolved soon I will be buying Chev Dodge anything but Ford.

noob

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I took my mean bad smoking machine in too a local Ford dealer and advised them that my internet search indicated Ford had recalled a number of 2008 F 350 with the high smoke regen problems by reflashing the computer or something like that so that higher exhaust tempretures would ocurr and in essence burn the smoke completely off before it left the tail pipe . When I told them about this they said they stoped doing that because it caused a 12 foot flame in some cases to shoot out the tail pipe . Poor Bas*!*d sitting beside you. Any way they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix. They suggested I should stop idling my truck to prevent the soot build up in the DPF, ya right whens its -30 below I'm not going to idle the truck. Give me a break Ford, if dont get this thing resolved soon I will be buying Chev Dodge anything but Ford.

I wouldn't jump the gun on ford for the dpf problem. you can't idle any of the new emission laden trucks anymore. they will all do the same thing. I've got an 08 gmc duramax and yanked the dpf off.

It's a frustrating thing to encounter, but there aint' gonna be a whole lot that we can do for these trucks. with the big 3 in trouble, they are going to be even more anal about warranty issues if we have done anything with chipping or messing with the emissions on these trucks. I've got a great dealer to help with any issues that I have, but at the end of the day they don't have any say if the bigwigs intervene on warranty issues.

on the regen issue, when I had it the truck would regen almost once per tank cycled through. I've read that it can take up to 2 gallons of fuel/regen. Not sure if that's true, but I think that's garbage. slap a dpf unit on the truck to be more environmentally friendly, yet let's use twice as much fuel to aid in that process. rant over.lol

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 F350 6.4L. My truck went into regen constantly. Pulled DPF and put a cold air intake on about a month ago. Have found no difference in mileage but feels like a bit of an increase in power. Now my truck sounds like a HD vacuum cleaner. YEH... It's a real joke, more fuel less emissions. Makes sense to me. Just wait till next year I hear there will be even more retarded emissions regulations.

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
I had the same issue with my 08 F250, but with the recent update it is less regen, now in stock, about 1 every 2 tanks, when programmer is hooked up in "tow mode" ( xtra 50hp ) pretty much the same amount of regen BUT with much better milage.

I have done air intake, exhaust 4.5" - 5" tip (cat back) and EDGE evolution programmer.

inside

Reaction score
A friend has a ford and it does the same. Smokes something aweful. He says it reminds him of Uncle Buck.

Top Bottom