Ford 6.4 PSD Owners?

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of upgrading my rig to an 09' or 10' F350 King ranch or Cabelas crew cab in the spring. I'm sticking with a diesel but I have a few questions for those who own them. For what its worth, the truck will be getting full deletes (EGR and DPF) and a mild spartan tune right off the bat.

-What are some issues you've had? Emissions junk aside.
-Fuel economy? Real world numbers, not what the overhead says
-Where does a guy get filters (read good filters) for these things besides getting bent over the Ford parts counter?
-Any other must-have mods for the 6.4?

Anything I should look at in particular when the time comes to go kick tires? I wanna do my research ahead of time before I sign the papers

I know with the deletes, exhaust, intake and spartan tuning these trucks are monsters, now I want in:d

And please keep the brand bashing out of it:)

jeremy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have owned every Ford Diesel engine and the 6.4 L Engine I felt was the poorest next to the 6.0L. 6.4L problems are not just a fuel hungry engine, they also like to lose turbos, crack rads, fail high pressure oil pumps, blow boost tubes, wiring problems, and in general are backed with a poor transmission. If all deletes are put on the truck and a tuner, you might be happy, but no warranty unless you have a deal worked somewhere. If you can upgrade to a 2011, you will not be disappointed.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Job 1 F-350 with the DPF delete and an air intake along with an SCT extreme tune. I also put a 52gal Titan fuel tank in to replace the stocker. I was originally gettin 12mpg on the hiway empty and 7mpg pulling my 28' fifth wheel I am now up to 19mpg empty and 14mpg with the fifth wheel. I had a tune in earlier that got me to 26mpg from Calgary to Nipiwin Sask but the truck ran poorly and the tranny tune really sucked so I updated to the extreme tune, it's not as fuel efficient but the truck runs like a champ now. Don't be surprised if you have to try a tune or two to get the one the truck likes to run with. The only problem I have had to date is a blown fuel pump which Ford replaced on warranty. Don't buy an 08 get the 09 or 10 as you said, the Job 2 and 3 trucks are more refined and have bigger airdams etc to help with mileage.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the ford 6.4 is horrible on the fuel stock but once you do the egr and dpf delete with a nice tune and an intake it will be way better on the fuel my duramax and girlfriends dads cummins were the same horrible till the emmissions came off. the tranny on them is a bit weak but you can always through a suncoast torque converter at it and really fix that problem. the sct is a good chip a little tough to find good tunes for them I went to a thing in spokane diesel thunder were they did a dyno test on a 08 6.4 with the new superchips race division tuner and the sct livewirew built with three tunes from river city diesel. the sct tune made about 15 hp more than the superchips but also had a 300 degree higher egt at final pull but some major power those trucks were putting out. I would go 5'' turbo back afe or S&B intake with an sct or superchips tune but get the gauges dont run a big chip with out gauges!! If you need any more info or pricing on some of the stuff let me know I can tell you if you are paying to much I have a good connection out of spokane with some amazing prices. The 6.4 is great once the emmissions come out and the tranny is slightly beefed up but that is the same as my dmax and father in laws cummins big power cant happen without proper clutching and tranny work.

spuds

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at the 2011's with urea injection. The dealers are talking more horsepower, and better economy due to the fact that you're not burning excess fuel to clean up the exhaust

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah the new ones have better power the mileage is supposedly better as well but that urea injection bothers me they said you have to refill it every 5000 km's and it is close to $75 bucks or more to fill it thats why i stayed away from the 2011's and just went with the 2010 dmax simple to remove all crappy emmissions and no urea injection I can easily get the same amount of fuel mileage and or power on a very mild mild tune and it costs way less. I'm curious to see what happens when guys go to change out injectors :eek:

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have an 08 with the SCT and like what it did for the mileage (17L/100km down to 10L/100km) and the improved power. And also drive a new 2011, similar power as the chip but the mileage is back to 17l/100kms. But at least it has warranty.

Last edited:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its amazing what taking that emmissions crap off does to your mileage its more than double in most cases. i know my duramax went from 450 a tank max and $90 to fill and went up to 750-800 on the hwy and still only has 28000 km's on it with the chip set at another 100 hp and i hear the fords are even better when the emmissions junk is taken off

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an '08 and now have a '09 Cabelas edition, both F350's. I had a sensor go on my '08, and had the rad update done. That was it for issues on that truck in the 120,000 kms I had it. I now have 51,000 kms on my Cabelas with no dealer visits yet. Edmonton to Grande Cache (400kms) empty; I burn about 60 L of fuel with the 3.55 axle ratio at 120 kms/h. Good enough for me. In about a year this one will getting traded in on a 2012, then I'll see if there is actually much difference in fuel mileage between the 6.4 and the 6.7. Everyone told me how bad the 6.4 was on fuel compared to the 6.0.:rolleyes:I've found that there is a little difference in fuel mileage between the 2 - 6.0's I owned, and the 2 - 6.4's I've now owned........A LITTLE; NOT ALOT.:beer::beer:

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I test drove a 2011 6.7 PSD a month back and it was a great truck no doubt but for all the hype Ford had into that engine I was sorta disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it had some good power but it didn't impress me that much. That and the urea injection is something I don't wanna be the guinea pig for. Ford claims they've tested it in extreme cold but that's still in the lab and not in the real world. The last thing I need is to jump in my truck after a day of sledding and have the truck start freaking out and go into limp mode because of some emissions component screwing up.

Plus a 6.4 will be cheaper anyways:)

riffrraffing

Reaction score
Trust me. Go with the 2011. I feel it is the best pick up truck on the road today. I have a 2011 Ford F350. 19 mpg on the highway since I put the first km on it. I have 3000km now and it is just awesome. Loads of power, quiet, smooth ride, great on fuel. All stock. No need to modify it and run in to warranty issues. I could have saved 12,000 buying the 2010 and I thought hard about it, but in the end, it wasn't worth it. The 2011 will also hold its value better when you want to sell or trade in. (if you ever want to part with it)

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go with the 6.4 there bulit proof have had 2 my 08 had the rad go (common issue its fixed now) not sure where you guys are saying the trans is weak try running 500+ hp as a dd with a cummins or a chebby and see how they hold up
had 98k on my 08 when i traded it in ran awesome 500hp dd 575ish hp when i felt like having some fun, lots of 4x4 launches, been to the track a buncha times, and i race everyone!!
my 2010 cabela's has 35k on it now and has been chipped since 3000kms truck runs like a dream the 6.4 got a bit of a bad name from all the emmisions sh!t but you said you were going to take it all off.
no one can touch a chipped 6.4 mod for mod
im getting 23mpg runnin down the highway at 120 city with a heavy foot i still get 15-16

must haves :d
afe intake stage 2 pg7
mbrp duals or 5'' single youre choice
full cat/dpf delete pipe
spartan or KEM ( kem is spartans master tuner that parted ways)

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go with the 6.4 there bulit proof have had 2 my 08 had the rad go (common issue its fixed now) not sure where you guys are saying the trans is weak try running 500+ hp as a dd with a cummins or a chebby and see how they hold up
had 98k on my 08 when i traded it in ran awesome 500hp dd 575ish hp when i felt like having some fun, lots of 4x4 launches, been to the track a buncha times, and i race everyone!!
my 2010 cabela's has 35k on it now and has been chipped since 3000kms truck runs like a dream the 6.4 got a bit of a bad name from all the emmisions sh!t but you said you were going to take it all off.
im getting 23mpg runnin down the highway at 120 city with a heavy foot i still get 15-16

afe intake stage 2 pg7
full cat/dpf delete pipe

Thanks man for the info!

dutz106

Reaction score
have the 08 with 85000kms been on extreme tune sct since new. I would recomend the sct it seems the egts are lower on their tune over spartan.I have ran both in towing and some drag strips. The trannys are tough can handle 500hp easily have buddies running 700hp and stock trans and torque conv. be smart when towing just because the truck can pull a load up the hill with the cruise on doesn't mean it should.watch the egts and boost and she'll hold up

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6.4l is a good engine, dpf delete and chip works awsome on them. stay away from cold air intakes though (aka engine dusters) we have done like 4 engines due to them sucking dirt though the shitty aftermarket filters. rad problems been fixed on them no more leaks, and i have never seen a torqshift trans need repair from being chiped. they hold up amasing well, found you blow up the engine before the trans. normally its a mine truck and they bashed the pan in. turbos and high pressure pumps also havent been a big issue ya some have craped out but that will happen on some no matter what manufacture you drive. My choice would be the new 6.7, seem really tuff so far have only had 2 come in for engine work. one had some idiot put water in the urea tank and one for a oil leak.

SSABMUD

Reaction score
Well considering my company (DDC) has modified over 600 Ford 6.4 engines, I can tell you they are a tough engine. Recently one made 900+ horsepower at the wheels with the stock bottom end. The best thing you can do for the engine is put a quality tuner on it, full DPF delete exhaust, air box, and if money permits, EGR delete. The trucks will get anywhere from 14-22 mpg depending on tires, driving style etc. As far as Job 1 to 3 trucks, there is not much difference after tuning, but the later trucks did seem to make a bit better mileage. The transmissions are tough also if you take care of them. My truck is 600hp and has the stock transmission and has been fairly trouble free. The most comon problem I see with them are failed EGT sensors, and blown boots. I carry a spare sensor at all times and since I installed boost braces, have not had that problem since. The 6.7 Ford engine is even stronger in stock form.

woodym7

Reaction score
i agree and dont shoot the dealer but have had great luck with the roush cold air intakes and exhaust ran them on my truck for 2 years with no issues and definite improvement in power and mileage, if you use this kit though just use the straight pipe no muffler needed and it isnt too loud either.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

afe intake stage 2 pg7
full cat/dpf delete pipe

no problem buddy my chev i just recently dynoed in at 495 at wheels with only tune 4 of 5 i gotta update my signature and that is on stock tranny I'll race your 6.4 all day long with the chev i'm being nice to and only running a moderate tune in mine as well if i went with the bigger tunning it would be almost 550 rwhp and all that is needed is a trans go shift kit $100 so dont give me that no one can touch a 6.4 mod to mod you just need the rite efi tune for the chev just like you need the rite spartan tune for ford

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com

afe intake stage 2 pg7
full cat/dpf delete pipe

Thats what I be running only with 5" single, Elite head studs, suncoast tranny, and a few other goodies. Spartan tuner loaded up with 350 race for sunday cruzes and drags at Gimli and running 250 for day use. Im luvin my ford

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what I be running only with 5" single, Elite head studs, suncoast tranny, and a few other goodies. Spartan tuner loaded up with 350 race for sunday cruzes and drags at Gimli and running 250 for day use. Im luvin my ford

i wouldnt go suncoast go ppe cheaper better kits and way better customer support on them

Top Bottom