deep water w/o snorked= not as much power

mudbud

Reaction score
i took it out for the first time w/o a snorkel and went in some deep water.

after that happened it just seemed like it didnt perform like a can am outty 650 should and as i have saw. i would give it gas and would barely turn the wheels until a few seconds then it would go.

what could be wrong with it? possibly the belt??

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could be a bunch of stuff. Check your air filter, if it's paper and it got wet.....
Check if theres water in the oil. Your clutch may have gotten wet, where theres water, theres dirt. Dirty clutches don't work too well. That's a start.

weldor

Reaction score
I would think that you got your belt wet and your clutches won't grab your belt. Try putting it in neutral and rev it up for a bit. It will dry your clutches and displace the water out.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
If your oil is NOT milky chances are that you never had it in too deep of water. Check your air filter. There are 5 Can-Am riders in my group that have completely drowned machines several times with out any "short" term problems. Long term problems may be a whole nother book :eek: Sounds like an air filter to me. :confused:

mudbud

Reaction score
thanks for all the info.i'll try it all....

another question for yall??

obviously i had to winch it out and it was a SOB(winch), the buttons were reversed such as in was out and out was in?? wtf? now when i turn there is really back popping or knocking sound inside??? ppl have told me to change it to some rope or something, what is that called?

Thanks, Logan

O2Bsane

Reaction score
How deep was the water???? How fast did you hit the water?? If the quad was say only tire deep in water it is the clutchs dirty or just wet.

mudbud

Reaction score
it was up to my gas tank just about but now its okay i took the cover off and the belt was extremely muddy so im guessing it just got wet.

i see other people go throught mudholes all day that have deep water and theres is fine?? why is that??/

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
it was up to my gas tank just about but now its okay i took the cover off and the belt was extremely muddy so im guessing it just got wet.

i see other people go throught mudholes all day that have deep water and theres is fine?? why is that??/

is it cracked or a gasket missing ( the belt cover)

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Take a look at where your air intake and exhaust are for your clutch enclosure, just shy of that is how deep you can go. but there have been issues with warping clutch covers on earlier models of outties.

DonMcKay

Reaction score
Website
www.calgaryatvriders.com
Take a look at where your air intake and exhaust are for your clutch enclosure, just shy of that is how deep you can go. but there have been issues with warping clutch covers on earlier models of outties.
On some of the Can-Ams there was a bad gasket between the clutch cover and the engine case and this let water in. Check to make sure that the gasket on your clutch cover is good. Let us know how it works out for you.
Don

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
On some of the Can-Ams there was a bad gasket between the clutch cover and the engine case and this let water in. Check to make sure that the gasket on your clutch cover is good. Let us know how it works out for you.
Don

Its actually not the gasket they are having trouble with. As Summiteer mentioned above its the "engine" side of the belt housing that is "Warping" due to the excess heat from the pipe that runs just above it. It is a recall on certain machines. The dealers are changing out the housing plate and installing heat shields to the pipe. They also replaced my plastic because it was melted a little under the seat. If you look closely in the picture you can see what I mean by excessive heat around the belt housing :d Good Luck.

Attachments

• toast.jpg
    toast.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 36

DonMcKay

Reaction score
Website
www.calgaryatvriders.com
Its actually not the gasket they are having trouble with. As Summiteer mentioned above its the "engine" side of the belt housing that is "Warping" due to the excess heat from the pipe that runs just above it. It is a recall on certain machines. The dealers are changing out the housing plate and installing heat shields to the pipe. They also replaced my plastic because it was melted a little under the seat. If you look closely in the picture you can see what I mean by excessive heat around the belt housing :d Good Luck.
Nice pic .. is that your quad there?
Glad you clarified that on the cover.. All I ever heard was that it was the gasket.

Don

Top Bottom