crate engine for 06

hippiekiller

Reaction score
hey all, I'm helping my friend replace the engine in his 800ho. The local dealership here has a rep for gouging, but they gave him a price of 18-1900 for the engine, which seems fair, ($2K to install, tho) :confused: but I would like something to compare it to, what are you Alberta guys paying for new engines from skidoo?

Also, will the replacement be an ugraded 800r or will it be the ho? I dont know the differences between the two..

Finally, is there a gasket kit which covers the long block installl? (h20, exh., etc?) Is there anything to look out for while its apart? I think we will replace the jackshaft and drive bearings just to be safe, anything else you guys can think of? thanks

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just went throught the same thing. You will have to give them your core. They will charge you an additional 700 bux till they send the core back and make sure it is useable. First thing yo want to make sure of ut that te cases arent screwed and the cylinders can be replated. I didnt go this route because the cases were screwed on my boys sled. But yes that is a fair price I was quoted 1950 bux before the core. Answer to the other question no you wont get the r engine to the best of my knowledge.
I bought a used engine. It was going to be about 3000 bux because i didn't have a core.
As far as the install price I have no idea I did it all myself.
Only took about 6 hours total to change the engines out and I am not a Doo Mechanic. 2000 sounds a little steep to me.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just did mine this fall as well 18-1900 bucks for a new short block is a good deal but they are rapping you on the install. very easy to do, just take your time and don't rush it. I never bought a gasket kit, i bought 2 new exhaust gaskets and a water pump gasket, all the orings for the head came with it. Fill up the oil pump cavity before installing the pump and spray lots of storage oil down into the crank case before installing the reeds....extra insurance for the first minute of run time.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just did mine this fall as well 18-1900 bucks for a new short block is a good deal but they are rapping you on the install. very easy to do, just take your time and don't rush it. I never bought a gasket kit, i bought 2 new exhaust gaskets and a water pump gasket, all the orings for the head came with it. Fill up the oil pump cavity before installing the pump and spray lots of storage oil down into the crank case before installing the reeds....extra insurance for the first minute of run time.

also when you first start it hold the oil pump lever wind open for a couple minutes while keeping your revs around 3K.

sicamoose

Reaction score
Mine is sitting in the shop guy quoted me $2200 with labour for install of a brand spankin' 08. Thought this was a decent price (or am I off?)

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you are getting the motor and install for 2200 you are getting a smoking deal. 2200 for a new short block motor is about right, can't see a free install though usually want 8 hrs plus, and there is also a core charge + shipping.
where you getting this done may i ask.

young-gun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am also looking for a good price on a engine, will install my self though. Were is best place to deal?

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had put a brand new short block in last year and ended up picking it up at Riverside for $1750 plus a brand new oil pump and some gaskets,it came out to be around $2100 bucks for everything.

Rkwhite

Reaction score
1900.00$ for a short block HO
2375.00$ for a short block R
Priced all over bc...pretty much the same everywhere.
700.00$ core charge on the R not sure about the core on the HO.
I don't think there is much play room for the dealers on short blocks.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1900.00$ for a short block HO
2375.00$ for a short block R
Priced all over bc...pretty much the same everywhere.
700.00$ core charge on the R not sure about the core on the HO.
I don't think there is much play room for the dealers on short blocks.

Same core for my HO...$700 but at MArtin the price was within dollars for the HO and the R. Very interesting, wondering why there would be much of a price difference basically same material maybe alittle more in the R for the mono-block.

nielsy

Reaction score
if the shortblock comes from brp the core is 700 regardless seadoo or skidoo + gst

hippiekiller

Reaction score
And like sasksummit said , the core has to be useable, no cracks in the block....It doesn't seem as if there is much of a mark-up on these engines out here compared to you alberta guys....

Top Bottom