Buying Tips Needed Please (Newbie)

aspinajr

Reaction score
Good evening. Sorry to be a bother, but I am really new to sleds and I'm looking to buy one. I have been doing diligent research but need a helping hand... So I have narrowed my search down to choosing from four sleds. All of them are Ski Doo Summit 800's. Now I have read to be careful of buying sleds that have "All The Mods". And a newer year doesn't mean a better deal/sled.

So my options at this point are:

1. 2004 Ski-Doo Summit 800HO with a 151 track with all the bells an whistles. seems nice and clean, but should the mods scare me away?
$4000

2. 2008 Summit 800 XP, 154" track, 3030 miles, exhaust can, ski doo back pack that straps to the tunnel, skid plate, hand guards, girl ridden.
- Lots of miles, will this most likely need to be serviced soon, like a new top end or something? $4000

3. 2004 SKI Doo Summit Hi Mark 800 HO approx. 1,100 miles, low hours 90% miles female trail ridden ,151" track . Excellent condition $ 3,800 call 303-895-6401. Like the miles, but a low year.

4. 2007 ski doo 800 summit X 151" track 800R . 3,300 miles, NEW TOP END. Now this is my favorite because I actually called the seller and then called the shop it is at. They told me the engine was replaced last year under warranty and the compression was off at the end of the season on the new engine, new top end being installed this week. Sled is is very nice shape. $4000

Is there anything that sticks out here? My gut feeling is option number 3. Low miles is the main thing. Is there a major chassis change from 04 - 07? I know the 08 is a different style chassis. I like option 1 as well because the pics are clean and it seems this guy did all the work and is very detailed, but are there too many mods? Option 4 looks good too because I talked to the owner AND the shop and their stories matched up and they seem reputable... But should I be concerned the sled is in for a new top end after one season with a new engine? Option 2 has not called me back, but it is an 08, I was just wondering if I should consider a newer sled with 3300 miles...

Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance.

Al

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh definately go with the AD THAT SAYS FEMALE RIDDEN,, straight forward honest winner there,,,, to be completely honest none of the ads sound like winners,,,, keep lookin

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think the 4th one is anything to be too afraid of. It looks like its in great shape and with a new top end in it I would be comfortable buying it. Also having the motor replaced last year would mean the '07 crank bearing issue should be fixed too. And if you do have to do a top end in it after a couple seasons its a fairly easy fix and only costs about $300 and you'll learn lots.

aspinajr

Reaction score
thanks, i am actually looking forward to learning how to fix and maintain. bought a diesel truck last year and have learned a lot so far.so rebuilding a top end may be a fun andeductionl task, eventually. thanks for the help so far.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did a top end last year on my girlfriends sled and its an '07 summit 800. I'd never worked on sleds before and I had no trouble with it. Download the service manual online and you'll be fine if you ever have to do any work.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2007 was one of my favorite sleds yet. Loved that sled. If the engine with the original crank has been replaced I would say that seems like a good buy.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably skip buying a doo unless you want to learn how to replace motors, but with the support of the doo rainbow brigade I'm sure you'll be fine, for under 5000$ you can buy a pretty decent sled and if you go cat you can replace a blown diamond drive for a lot less than a doo motor

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha. You M8 guys are just as bad. Ive had a couple of them myself. They left as quick as they came. Still dont understand how guys enjoy riding those heavy antiquated chassis's. Great engines.......but thats about it. :)

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really as a starter sled for under 5k they're pretty hard to beat, gets you out, minimal issues, then when a guy can afford the new chassis they'll have a little experience under there belt when deciding if they want a pro rmk or xm

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably skip buying a doo unless you want to learn how to replace motors, but with the support of the doo rainbow brigade I'm sure you'll be fine, for under 5000$ you can buy a pretty decent sled and if you go cat you can replace a blown diamond drive for a lot less than a doo motor

I agree, this place should be called Ski-Doo and Mud. But to each their own. I've been on the M's for a few years and absolutely love them. It is a bit annoying that every thread is flooded with the Doo guys. But there is probably a higher % of those riders here. Or they're just louder and more flamboyant? Lol

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, this place should be called Ski-Doo and Mud. But to each their own. I've been on the M's for a few years and absolutely love them. It is a bit annoying that every thread is flooded with the Doo guys. But there is probably a higher % of those riders here. Or they're just louder and more flamboyant? Lol

this post is a PRIME example. the origional poster did not have ONE arctic cat snowmobile in his list. and here we are talking about how great old arctic cats are. it is not just the doo guys, its everyone, its the internet. you guys are too blind to see it but you are all just as bad as the "doo brigade" get over it i guess is all i can tell you. there are more skidoo sleds on the mountain than any other brand so of course on the internet your going to hear about it more.

for the origional poster. there is one bad apple in the skidoo engine department, its the 2007-2008 skidoo 800r engine. going with an older 800HO will not give you any problems.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

he doesnt want to ride outdated stuff. the 04 rev was 4 years ahead of the m chassis in 2004 so he is way further ahead riding the rev chassis.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this post is a PRIME example. the origional poster did not have ONE arctic cat snowmobile in his list. and here we are talking about how great old arctic cats are. it is not just the doo guys, its everyone, its the internet. you guys are too blind to see it but you are all just as bad as the "doo brigade" get over it i guess is all i can tell you. there are more skidoo sleds on the mountain than any other brand so of course on the internet your going to hear about it more.

for the origional poster. there is one bad apple in the skidoo engine department, its the 2007-2008 skidoo 800r engine. going with an older 800HO will not give you any problems.
Merely informing a newbie that there are other options as you brigade guys doo Max;) figure its about time we flood the forum with biased posts to keep up;)

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Merely informing a newbie that there are other options as you brigade guys doo Max;) figure its about time we flood the forum with biased posts to keep up;)

and thats fine. but dont get your panties in a bunch when it comes your way. it happens both ways ALL the time. its the internet and its going to happen.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ya ok buds,,,,lol. Wonder how thats possible when the rmk was the best selling sled in all classes couple years runnin and before that it was the M

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya ok buds,,,,lol. Wonder how thats possible when the rmk was the best selling sled in all classes couple years runnin and before that it was the M

i dont know how you relate best selling to most volume. guess skoolin wasnt yer strong suit. 1 year of best selling mountain sled doesnt make the most volume on the hill.

Top Bottom