Clutch / motor mount issues

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys, 08 xp 800r , recently replaced the top end, removed the complete motor to do the job. originally i had the gov cup in the primary go bad and broke a motor mount bolt causing the primary and secondary to hit each other wrecking their faces on the outer sheaves all that on top of a blow top end. so i replaced all of that checked runout and it was within skidoo spec. all good i was hoping... not

So, riding yesterday i noticed a coolant leak, checked it and it was the carb heater hose rubbing on the secondary shaft along with that i noticed the clutches hit each other again! Oh and i could removed the belt without the use of the handy dandy tool... I got home and tore the primary apart only to find one roller really loose ( worn ) but the gov cup ( updated part ) was still fine. I checked the motor mounts they all seem fine ( used a pry bar to see how much movement they have not much)
when the primary and secondary are on they seem like they are rather close together. what can be adjusted to make this distance further? I checked the frame and all the mounts holding the secondary and they all fine.

I did notice a fairly good dog leg in my belt which makes me think my alignment is off quite a bit.

Whats the distance the primary and secondary are supposed to be ?

I dont have an alignment bar im figuring maybe it might be good investment.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The secondary mount -bulkhead broken ??

It's a known thing on 08-09 with the brace bar.

from my HTC

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats one of the things i checked.. no visible breaks or damage, put a pry bar under the motor and pryed with very little movement. I just cant figure out what i did wrong.

Korey

Reaction score
Thats one of the things i checked.. no visible breaks or damage, put a pry bar under the motor and pryed with very little movement. I just cant figure out what i did wrong.

Well Dan I think I know what's wrong but your not going to like it...problem seems to me is you bought a doo hahaha j/k shifty luck tho bud, going to McBride next weekend if you get it figured out u should come probably last trip of the year for me...anyway good luck with the sled shoot me a txt if ur interested in coming

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your roller bolts on your secondary. They are well known to come loose. The head of bolt breaks off and rattles around your sheaves basically fning them. That bolt could also interfere with your clutch closing which maybe why your belt so loose? There are 2 of those roller bolts on secndary...just take off belt and look down between the sheaves and u will see the torx head or broken end. I have had same thing 2 for 2 on the 2 xp's i have had. Bit of a joke for amount of damage it can cause...

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Secondary is hitting the Primary? "When they are on they are close" what does that mean? WTF over!?! I know I am on pain killers but I can not understand what you are describing.

Can you take a video, or a picture or anything of what you are experiencing?

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Dan I think I know what's wrong but your not going to like it...problem seems to me is you bought a doo hahaha j/k shifty luck tho bud, going to McBride next weekend if you get it figured out u should come probably last trip of the year for me...anyway good luck with the sled shoot me a txt if ur interested in coming
Nah it's because his sled beat mine in a race that day and my hunk of junk put a hex on his sled lol.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah something isn't right, I bought a new sliding sheave on the primary as well as a rebuild kit. And along with a secondary clutch. When I get time I'll investigate the clutches and motor mounts. I'm thinking something must've broke that I can't see or something of that manner. I will get pics up.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the two clutches are hitting, its not a clutch part issue. This doesn't make sense. I will say though I have cracked a frame, this was through ruff riding and high Hp output. Broke where the engine stop is. With that in mind maybe your engine stop is not there! Check for this as well what pfi mentioned about the secondary torx bolts. Could by a loose engine mount, PTO side there are two bolts.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had trouble getting the secondary out tonight but it finally came and this is what i found. The stud for the secondary tower was pulled out of its socket. Engine stopper is in place and not broken. I will remove the motor mounts that i can to ensure they did not delaminate. The secondary tower was also cracked at the bolt hole beside the brake.

IMG_2098.jpg

Storm Rider

Reaction score
I have had 2 08 800 xp's that the secondary tower pulled out of the tunnel when the tower broke. The coolant leak from the carb heater hose was my first indication of a problem. this was because when the secondary moves it rubs on the hose. Check your secondary tower and I would bet it is broken and moves forward when under load.

Storm Rider

Reaction score
I have had 2 08 800 xp's that the secondary tower pulled out of the tunnel when the tower broke. The coolant leak from the carb heater hose was my first indication of a problem. this was because when the secondary moves it rubs on the hose. Check your secondary tower and I would bet it is broken and moves forward when under load.

I see that you found the problem. Sorry i didnt read to the last post before i posted this.

i put a piece of 1/4" aluminum about 2" square under the tunnel with a bolt coming up through the tunnel and it has been fine for 3 years. I also added a clutch brace to eliminate the problem from happening again. also get the tower for an 09 as they are an updated and stronger piece i believe. Hope this helps

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah figure that.. doo has a repair kit for the stud, i guess it is a known problem. The coolant line leaking was my give away as well.I got all the parts on already. brace, 09 tower and the replacement stud. I also extended the coolant line a little for some better access to the valve. Took my time aligning the clutches / motor, Im suprized how much movement you can get out of them.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But the motors not moving.

Just a illusion when the clutches ramp.

from my HTC

Lurch

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my secondary tower right now; there is a hole in the tunnel like the image here shows and the tower has come off the tunnel causing the clutches to scrape together. The secondary clutch inside sheave it toast on my machine it also took out the top bearing on the chaincase side.

Someone said to use the secondary bearing support off an '09 that's great advice, thanks.

Where does a guy buy the torque brace I need to get my hands on one of those.

I will talk to my ski-doo dealer and see if they know about the fix-kit.

The stud for the secondary tower was pulled out of its socket. The secondary tower was also cracked at the bolt hole beside the brake.

View attachment 151672

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my secondary tower right now; there is a hole in the tunnel like the image here shows and the tower has come off the tunnel causing the clutches to scrape together. The secondary clutch inside sheave it toast on my machine it also took out the top bearing on the chaincase side.

Someone said to use the secondary bearing support off an '09 that's great advice, thanks.

Where does a guy buy the torque brace I need to get my hands on one of those.

I will talk to my ski-doo dealer and see if they know about the fix-kit.

ill get you the part number when i get a chance. They usually have to order it. As for brace, Doo has one, specialty carries them, mountain magic and most other sled shops, they are usually around 200 bucks. They wont sell you a 2008 tow anyways its superceeded twice apparently.

I found a secondary on KIJIJI for 50 bucks with shaft. Look around there could be some sweet deals out there. or just go with a team secondary.

Top Bottom