Country internet round 2

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for best country Internet,cheapest,no contract,like the idea of NOT screwing the thingy on the roof,etc.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I finally had enough with my crappy explornet.

Got a Telus smart Hub a month ago. Had 30 days to decide if it worked or could return it.

It's not great, but it seems to be better than my explornet was/is. My Telus trial period is now over so looks like the explornet is gonna be canceled.

It slows down in the evenings. But so far the Telus hub at its worst is about equivalent to my explorenet at its best.

Seamed like every time I got a message from explornet that they were doing service on the system to improve things, in reality it would get worse every time.

Telus hub cost me $300 for the unit. Then the cheapest plan was $60 for 50 gig, or $75 for 250 gig. No contract. No antena on the roof.

Quattroman

Reaction score
Yup, would be nice for options, but unfortunately where my place is, I'm stuck with xplornet which i loathe with ever fiber of my being :mad:

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$60 for 50gig or $75 for 250gig is basically admitting your a criminal organization,government is probably behind this.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just made the switch from xplorenet to the Telus hub, 3 times faster than xplorenet. I like the fact that if I have to go to the shop to work and need the inter web, I can unplug the unit from the house and run it off its battery power.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might have to try the hub, Xplornet gave me a discount because the service has been brutal but the hub will still be cheaper.

Ricki Bobby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Telus Smart Hub is great provided you have a decent cell signal where ever you are. I like the fact that I can take it anywhere.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried to get Telus Hub last week and they said my area is too full so I can't even get it. I respect that because they will not allow their service to go below a certain download speed. I'm with Xplornet and right now I have zero internet and they won't be able to service it for about 19 days. They are literally the worst company I have ever had to deal with in my life. I'm going to try for Rogers tomorrow and see if I can get them. If anybody is ever considering Xplornet don't even bother, using your phone as a personal hotspot is better.

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've tried every possible out of town Internet provider and have finally settled with the Telus hub. It has been the cheapest of any of them when you compare the cost per how much data we can use, we bought the 500 gb/month plan and cancelled tv because now we can stream it and have never come close to our limit. The only catch with this Telus hub is that it is tower specific so you can't take it anywhere which is fine by me, I'm just happy to finally have something that keeps up with streaming.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could try Clearwave. $70 for 200GB and no contract, but you will have to mount an antenna somewhere.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So are all these running off cell tower reception? Anyone getting internet on satellite or some radio signal where they are an hour from cell reception?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
My rogers reception at my house is one bar, by rocket hub gets full bars and works fine. No issues with slow internet, can stream. I have only went over once. There are different plans you can go into as well. I had Explorenet when I first moved out here and it was so bad I got my money back, I ended up streaming to my phone all the time.

Ricki Bobby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've tried every possible out of town Internet provider and have finally settled with the Telus hub. It has been the cheapest of any of them when you compare the cost per how much data we can use, we bought the 500 gb/month plan and cancelled tv because now we can stream it and have never come close to our limit. The only catch with this Telus hub is that it is tower specific so you can't take it anywhere which is fine by me, I'm just happy to finally have something that keeps up with streaming.

I take my smart hub from Alberta and use it in BC with no issues! Why do you think it is tower specific?

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
We used ours all over Alberta this summer. Worked awesome everywhere.The sad part is ;the only place it doesn't work is at home. Parkland county seems to be the worst place in the province for rural internet. We've tried everything and none of it works .So far this telus hub thing has been the best but they over sold it just like all those that came before them. Speed goes down to almost nil from when the kids get out of school til midnight.Never tried it in BC yet. Did not work in Saskatchewan.

I take my smart hub from Alberta and use it in BC with no issues! Why do you think it is tower specific?

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We used ours all over Alberta this summer. Worked awesome everywhere.The sad part is ;the only place it doesn't work is at home. Parkland county seems to be the worst place in the province for rural internet. We've tried everything and none of it works .So far this telus hub thing has been the best but they over sold it just like all those that came before them. Speed goes down to almost nil from when the kids get out of school til midnight.Never tried it in BC yet. Did not work in Saskatchewan.

are you using a booster?

Top Bottom