Clutching and gearing for 3"x162

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey i am extnding a 153"x 162" on a 2010 M8 153.

I am wondering what gearing and clutching is working on these sleds, and How do you change the gearing on them?

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good question cause im gonna do a 3" track too,,,, not to jack but can you use the stock drivers or do you need an aftermarket set??

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good question cause im gonna do a 3" track too,,,, not to jack but can you use the stock drivers or do you need an aftermarket set??

You can use stock drivers You will have 1/4" clearance at the Tightest spot.

This way you can run your reverse withought cutting off some of the drive lugs on the DD side,or getting a BDX Diamond Lite

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock gearing the same on M8 153-162(57-63). If you already have track shaft dropped, its just as easy to pull whole housing out to change gear ratios, as it is to get the cover off and swap them whilst DD is still in sled

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock gearing the same on M8 153-162(57-63). If you already have track shaft dropped, its just as easy to pull whole housing out to change gear ratios, as it is to get the cover off and swap them whilst DD is still in sled

So there is not need to Change gearing on these Sleds with the 3", Just do some clutching IE. Different Helix...

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Come on,,, you guys that got 3" embarrassed to talk about it or wha?

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Word of caution, if you like the way your sled handles now, it won't be the same after you go 3 incher. It will tend to want to go in a straight line, kind of like locking all 3 diffs on a tridrive. Requires a bit more man handling to get it to do what you want. But man do they move snow!

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry scrfce running 174 on a turbo 1200, with a 4 post STM. Surprised glengine hasn't been here yet, thinking he's the guy to ask. Or else an after market kit custom to your size and style. If Cutlers in a good mood he'll hook you up with some good info. Deano at MAD. Brent at Actic Edge. Any of these guys will steer you the right direction.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Well boys I have a 3" 174 on my M and I will tell you that it definately doesnt push any more than a 162 in the soft stuff, and I will put it anywhere you boys will put your 162. The gearing I went to is the M8 gears and I went to a 37/47 helix with a black purple purple skidoo spring in the secondary and adjustable weights in the primary, Daltons I think and I am running close to 70 grams of weight right now and I am achieving 50 mph track speed with the mods to my sled. Rock rollers of coarse are a must and with this setup I got 1500 kms to a belt, I am happy with this cuz my clutches just dont heat up even with multiple pulls at a hill. Ask me whatever you want I have built 3 of these sleds and they are all working very well, hell I am thinking of opening up my own shop just to set up sleds cuz it is a battle and most dealers suck!:d

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What Catman said :)

I thought the 3" would be insanely aggressive for me, but it was super smooth. Could have been the fact that the track was that much heavier, so it didn't grab as quick of the line. Definetly lost some track speed even with different weights and spring.

Tracks Canada cuts down the 16x3" tracks to fit the Cats, otherwise you can get them at any track dealer and do it yourself.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
58/62 BDX is what I went with
79 gr weights
lots of complaints about the deep trench's though:d

Top Bottom