G5 turbo Gears and chain

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i still don't understand what's so bad about it? It goes every where the other sleds do?
Cat ascenders go everywhere a non-turbo G4 850 goes and it's considered a 12 year old dinosaur and 50cc short... pretty low standard.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doo has the worst chassis on the snow, but the best motor.
The Doo chassis if fine for the majority mountain riders out there. The only people that don't like Doo chassis are Polaris or cat riders? And really, doo riders don't like them either. That doesn't make it a bad chassis. That's why there are double the amount of doo's in the mountains.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Manufacturers also have to put out a calibration that works for 99% of people in lots of varying conditions. There will always be tweaks to be made for your individual likings. Generally speaking the g5 calibration is good. Belts are lasting longer with way more HP and most people aren’t dickering with the calibrations including myself. It works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Exactly, from the LW frenchman to the real man. Wide range of elevation & west coast snow to Colorado fluff. You can hone in on your terrain & make noticeable improvement.

The better the calibration, the clutches will react faster to load & no load conditions.

It sounds like some changes were made to the 2024 & maybe backwards.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are these comments based on P Drive & QRS experience? My experience is only TRA, P Drive & few driven clutch's Ski Doo has produced. These are different breeds to calibrate & some of your comments in the post are not going to help.

Ski Doo has gone from gearing too high in days gone by to almost the most the opposite now. You have some low ratio's in the CC & now those tiny drivers.....very low ratio when you include those small drivers in the overall calculations.

Other factors get involved such clamping force, shift speed & belt pressure. These are calibration issues & limited influence by gear ratio if you are in a good target area.

Ski Doo's solution to belt issue's has always been we need a more expensive belt....that's why we have a $300.00 drive belt. Solving the 2017 problem Ha! I can probably the pervious years Ski Doo had belt problems solved with a new more expensive belt :)
These comments are based on how a CVT works.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are doing enough to stay number 1. They are saving the rest for a surge from Polaris I guess. Lol
Polaris guys won't be coming to Doo anytime soon unless they can't wait out the P22 clutch fiasco. Word is there is a new clutch on the way but will Polaris do the right thing and update all 22-24 Boosts and 9R's? Ski-Doo set a good example and coughed up new gears for their customers. Hope Polaris does the same.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris guys won't be coming to Doo anytime soon unless they can't wait out the P22 clutch fiasco. Word is there is a new clutch on the way but will Polaris do the right thing and update all 22-24 Boosts and 9R's? Ski-Doo set a good example and coughed up new gears for their customers. Hope Polaris does the same.
SD eventually did the right thing. First they tried to do what they normally do and tell the customers there isn't a problem and sweep it under the rug.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we all know there were production shortages so instead of parking a whole segment of riders they built them with older product tech to get guys on the snow. For the average rider they rode trouble free. For the hard riders they may have seen failures. I’m sure the bean counters at BRP looked at that and decided they could afford some failures rather than lose people to the competition because they couldn’t ride. The amount of rejects they would have to finance on dealer floors outweighed the failures in cost I’m sure.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we all know there were production shortages so instead of parking a whole segment of riders they built them with older product tech to get guys on the snow. For the average rider they rode trouble free. For the hard riders they may have seen failures. I’m sure the bean counters at BRP looked at that and decided they could afford some failures rather than lose people to the competition because they couldn’t ride. The amount of rejects they would have to finance on dealer floors outweighed the failures in cost I’m sure.
That may have been what was done but the fact remains they should have been open with the guys that were having failures

mxz800x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snopro I agree with you ,however. ?How about the cost to the consumer. When their sled brakes a chain or a gear way back in the backcountry. Had to get the sled out. Some times it was a helicopter ride.which is costly.. Some guys travelled for 12 plus hours to ride. Now we have to rent a sled for two or three days. BRP didn’t help anyone with those cost. The bean counters can suck on a stick, for installing insuperior products. I still ride lynx and Brp.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snopro I agree with you ,however. ?How about the cost to the consumer. When their sled brakes a chain or a gear way back in the backcountry. Had to get the sled out. Some times it was a helicopter ride.which is costly.. Some guys travelled for 12 plus hours to ride. Now we have to rent a sled for two or three days. BRP didn’t help anyone with those cost. The bean counters can suck on a stick, for installing insuperior products. I still ride lynx and Brp.
You know when I was a dealer BRP paid for 2 of customers backcountry retrievals for me. They wouldn’t for everyone obviously but until your dealer goes to bat for you and try’s you will never know. There is no roadside assistance or AMA for snowmobiles unfortunately. I think we all understand that. I still think as a consumer most would rather ride than be parked for a year. I know you may not agree but riding as long as you did has to be better than not riding at all if that makes sense to you. BRP, Polaris, Cat and Yamaha don’t build every part for their products. They rely on other companies and suppliers to make a whole product for the consumer. If one person in that complicated chain chits the bed then the whole product lineup pays the price. As a farmer 2 years ago Bourgault, a large farm company that builds air drills couldn’t supply their dealer network with mid row banders. For those not in farming it’s a round disc about 24” in diameter and 1/8” thick. It has 4 or 6 bolt holes punched in it to bolt to the hub. It’s a piece of metal cut in a circle with holes drilled in it. Couldn’t supply. How does that happen? It happens in all industries.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

When it was released that there was regular rexnord in the doos turbos, it was the owners choice to keep riding the sled. Some did something about it, and beefed up the chain by installing what should have been in there in the first place.
Most guys didn’t have a problem with the sprocket and chain set in there, and kept riding. Remember, “nothing is a problem until it is one”.
Now the lynx has an aurora chain which is imo just as beefy as the hyvo, but bottom sprockets still failed, how come?. Now, BRP releases alot stronger sprocket for the bottom……
Unfortunately, I find you comment a tad moot, 350bucks in sprocket and chain parts is alot cheaper than a chopper ride, and ruining a sled trip. Hell, 500bucks more gets a proven solid driveshaft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t recall skidoo coming out and saying hey we put the wrong chit in your sled be careful though. Unless you were on the forums or fsceboook you didn’t really know. They made it right either way. And I know helped most people with any recovery costs. I drove the hell out of mine but just gave it a little respect to the drivetrain with shock loading and no issues last season. Talking with a few dealers the failure rates were actually quite low in the grand scheme of things

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t recall skidoo coming out and saying hey we put the wrong chit in your sled be careful though. Unless you were on the forums or fsceboook you didn’t really know. They made it right either way. And I know helped most people with any recovery costs. I drove the hell out of mine but just gave it a little respect to the drivetrain with shock loading and no issues last season. Talking with a few dealers the failure rates were actually quite low in the grand scheme of things

Doo didn’t release the news.

You are right though, the amount of failures were very few in the bigger picture, but unfortunately higher than previous years, especially since the 2020.5 turbo was released.
Lots of G4 200hp turbos out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it was a calculated risk on brp’s part. piss off a few people with some failures or piss off hundreds/thousands more by not delivering their sleds. for those that had issues I think brp should offer some sort of compensation.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doo didn’t release the news.

You are right though, the amount of failures were very few in the bigger picture, but unfortunately higher than previous years, especially since the 2020.5 turbo was released.
Lots of G4 200hp turbos out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see there’s still the odd one piling up, ran into an abandon one a couple weeks ago… chain case in pieces.. I assume buddy didn‘t get the upgrade gears/chain? There was no pulling it out of where it was..

Top Bottom