Clemina claims another.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
looks like top end of wind tunnel ???

It looks like the very end of the valley where if you keep going from the cabin, the valley turns to the south and ends. The area I speak of is a restricted area with no snowmobiling signs posted. (unless they are gone). From the picture you can see the saddle at the end on the right that you can climb to get to the other area that will take you back around to the cabin.....

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ir155;436666]Thanks shrek1. Here is a direct link to the pictures. looks very avoidable. Condolences to the friends and family.

[media]http://www.avalanche.ca/Forms/Incident/Attachments/guid-09d4a32f-af08-4360-8448-e068a661b835.jpg[/media]
[media]http://www.avalanche.ca/Forms/Incident/Attachments/guid-350a83d7-ef27-452d-a8fe-bff9c076c869.jpg[/media]
[media]http://www.avalanche.ca/Forms/Incident/Attachments/guid-dc05d22d-0dca-4949-9cac-f5ce88a0163c.jpg[/media][/QUOTE]

completely avoidable.

highmark x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My condolences go out to the family and friends of the follen victim. But it also makes me mad that some people can't get there heads out of their A**, cause most people by now should now that this is not the year to be out highmarking. That hill will be there next year or the year after to climb when snow conditions are better. But if the gov't steps in we may not be able to ride these areas anymore. I beleive that all the avey's this year that have taking victim's with them could have been pervented. Please ride safe people and return home to your loved one's.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It looks like the very end of the valley where if you keep going from the cabin, the valley turns to the south and ends. The area I speak of is a restricted area with no snowmobiling signs posted. (unless they are gone). From the picture you can see the saddle at the end on the right that you can climb to get to the other area that will take you back around to the cabin.....

Actually, it is just southwest of the hillclimb hill. I believe it is Bauer's second chance. close to the "elevator, and Dixon Glacier"

That area you are talking about, is "avalanche Alley"

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually, it is just southeast of the hillclimb hill. I believe it is Bauer's second chance. close to the "elevator, and Dixon Glacier"

Your right cuso, that is east of the elevator. Not down avalanch alley

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually, it is just southwest of the hillclimb hill. I believe it is Bauer's second chance. close to the "elevator, and Dixon Glacier"

You are right cuso,that is exactly where it is.
catmando!

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
completely avoidable. Hard to continue having sympathy for people who make such ridicilous decisions.

if you wanna play with guns,or bombs,move to iraq,or iran.......
I don't like walkin around with a grenade strapped to my balls......
sleddin is a good time ,take the time to READ the CAC bullitins,
and BC offers a lot more than hillclimbs.............

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
After completing an inventory of my opinions/judgment etc. on this news, the only words that are ‘postable’ are ‘condolences to those affected”. As previously posted it IS getting very hard to rationalize the decisions made that lead up to this, yet another tragedy.:(

I’m officially holding off on sled upgrade plans in fear of the public outcry that will surly ensue which will demand restrictions be placed on the pastime I love.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iam just at a loss for words, of course this is a tragic event for those involved and we all want to be sensitive to these people and be politicaly correct but give your head a fricken shake.. this is a case of stupidty to the extream. this is no different than driving drunk or playing in traffic.
I cant belive that there is one mountain sledder out there that has not heard the warnings, read the reports on tv or places like this fourm. Climbing on that hill was akin to premeditated suicide. these guys would have rode rite past the hill climb slide that has been plastered on every news server,fourm and media site in the country, yet what do they do??? straight to the next biggest slope in the valley
I feel sorry for this kids family and friends left behind to carry on but this event was no accident.Iam starting to wonder that maybe the mountains should be closed to sledding as we as a group are proving time and time again that we are unable to make wise desicions as to our riding choices
Its always so unfortunate but i think it was Hemmingway who wrote"nothing can ruin a good day like people"

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My condolences to all the families and friends of the victims of this years avalanches. I just want to say a big thumbs up to the guys and gals of the search and rescue. Its not something that had often crossed my mind till now reading the above quote. You guys are heros coming out to rescue us in the worst possiable conditions. You guys are doing a great job in such a tough year and we all appreciated it. I hope everybody will do the same and thank there local search and rescue these guys have had a rough year. Keep up the good work :wtg:

My condolences to all the families. Yes search and rescue is doing a great job, a job that wouldn't need to be done if people would start using there ******* brains, everyone of these avalanches is avoidable, they are not accidents, there is alot of terrain in the mountains that is safe. The sport is not all about highmarking. Trying to tell people to be careful and listen to the warnings that are being posted is not getting through to everyone.:realmad: Closing the mountains to sledders is not reasonable solution, as there is many that are still sledding that are riding in the safer areas.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
Iam starting to wonder that maybe the mountains should be closed to sledding as we as a group are proving time and time again that we are unable to make wise desicions as to our riding choices
QUOTE]

Scotts,

I know you are upset...we all are...many of us got to the mtns and live to ride another day...but shutting it down...yikes...I'm not for this...I'm sure it is a knee jerk reaction to yeat another preventable accident.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I know you are upset...we all are...many of us got to the mtns and live to ride another day...but shutting it down...yikes...I'm not for this...I'm sure it is a knee jerk reaction to yeat another preventable accident.[/QUOTE]

I know i wont make any friends for bringing it up and i am the last person who wants to see closeures, as mountain sledding is my passion,i even have a house in valemont for christ sake. But it will start to happen, people are just to stupid and arrogant. Why do people keep calling this an accident? If i put a gun to my head and pull the trigger untill it goes off is that an accident?

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
I know i wont make any friends for bringing it up and i am the last person who wants to see closeures, as mountain sledding is my passion,i even have a house in valemont for christ sake. But it will start to happen, people are just to stupid and arrogant. Why do people keep calling this an accident? If i put a gun to my head and pull the trigger untill it goes off is that an accident?

I hear ya man...this was NO accident!!!

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Family sends out our heart felt condolences to the family. We should all be careful out in the backcountry or the government will step in and keep us out. My hat is off to the rescue staff that go out and save us in times of need. RIP YOU WILL BE MISSED

Flange99

Reaction score
2 Meter burial?? Damn... That is deep.

Not too surprising considering the terrain trap at the bottom. Looks pretty rocky too. Considering the consequences of a slid, I would never consider hitting that hill...even on a good day. Thanks again to Lori and Randy at ZacsTracs for opening my eyes! Our group enjoyed an epic season of riding despite some of the worst avy conditions on record.

RIP. My sincere condolences to his family.

stickman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RIP. Condolences to the family & friends of the victim.

Also, thanks to the work that Zac's Tracks is doing out there, our group had an awesome year of riding in the hills. The weekend spent with Lori, Randy, and their crew was what made the year as great as it was. It was the best piece of equipment we bought this year and our group and families have really benefitted from it.

This year has been tough on our sledding community. If you have gotten avy training, great, tell others to get their act together, spread the word so a repeat of this year doesn't happen again.

Top Bottom