A real eye opener- for even me

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly. The other thing you didn't mention is trauma from contracting a tree or branches during the avalanche event

In addition to this as well, tree riding is about experience level. I know myself I find myself alone as my level of tree riding is usually higher than most can navigate. Again ride within your groups abilities and not yours, another danger factor added in.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're all trying to learn here don't need to make it personal!

Thats why I started the thread- we are learning. Judging by most of the comments- except for yours, it seems most are willing to admit this seems like a bit an eye opener. Your comment made it personal. Perhaps that wasn't your intent, but knowing you- I doubt it. Don't act like your feelings are hurt- you got the the reaction you were looking for.

I don't have a lot of experience. And I have. . But if I've learned anything from my days it's that anything will get you. Anything. And that's coming from a few close calls that changed the way I ride for good. The most un suspect slopes have almost taken members of my family and some of my best friends. Terrain people hammer down on every day without even thinking twice about it. Just like I used too. One particular slope my friend said after he hasn't seen it come down in the twenty years he has been riding it. And this is a huge problem. We need to stop looking at slopes and saying I've never seen that slide or Ive never seen anything like that slide. We need to start assessing the terrain and asking ourselves...IF that slides what is going to happen before crossing the zone. We have a 40 degree slope and a persistent weak layer and I need to sidehill across that slope. What is going to happen if it slides? I'm not saying you can't do it but you need to run through every scenario and escape plan before doing so.

This post is a good one. This one won't get you called an arrogant idiot. A hypocrit maybe, since you've acknowledged that YOU'VE had your eyes opened in the past and changed your ways, but no one else is allowed to have the same chance.
Up until this, I would consider the terrain in the pics ideal for the riding style I have. Steep enough to offer a challenge, tree'd enough to offer some challenge, and yet open enough to maneuver. Anyone that calls themself a 'treerider', rides this exact terrain. If they say they don't they are lieing. Either about being a 'tree rider' or about not searching for stuff like this.

Anyway, doesn't matter. I hope by posting this I have helped a few guys realize 'what can happen if it slides'. As much as I like being a dick, there is a time and a place. This isn't it.

Top Bottom