A real eye opener- for even me

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An interesting read. Avalanche Canada (near Castlegar)

AVALANCHE REPORTINFORMATION

• Avalanche date: Mar 14th, 2016

• Number of avalanches in this report: 1

• Avalanche size: 2

• Slab thickness (cm): 80

• Slab width (m): 60

• Run length (m): 50

• Avalanche character:
    • Persistent slab

• Trigger type: Snowmobile

• Trigger subtype: Accidental

• Start zone aspect:
    • NE

• Start zone elevation band:
    • Treeline

• Start zone elevation (m): 1920

• Start zone incline: 40

• Weak layer burial date: Feb 27th, 2016

• Weak layer crystal type:
    • Surface hoar

• Crust near weak layer: No

• Vegetation cover: Sparse trees or gladed slope

COMMENTS
The victim's snowmobile track indicates he entered the slope while side-hilling. The avalanche appears to have been triggered from below and it released approx. 40 higher up the slope. Deceased was carried down hill and located on the uphill side of a tree, buried approx. 2.5 below the surface. Deceased was travelling alone.

INCIDENT REPORT
INFORMATION

• Activity:
    • Snowmobiling

• Total in the group? 1

• People fully buried? 1

• Terrain shape at trigger point: Planar

• Terrain trap:
    • Trees

COMMENTS
The victim's snowmobile track indicates he entered the slope while side-hilling. The avalanche appears to have been triggered from below and it released approx. 40 higher up the slope. Deceased was carried down hill and located on the uphill side of a tree, buried approx. 2.5 below the surface. Deceased was travelling alone.

UPLOADS
UPLOADS (CLICK/TAP TO ENLARGE)

1c6ddc18-1f3a-4562-8a9d-b9315a80fb7a.jpg dcf6f3ae-e7ee-4a2d-8fec-654927405430.jpg

Last edited:

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No offence, but judging by the pics, that spot could have easily swallowed a couple guys just travelling through it.

Personally, I would have done my best to avoid the open slop in the center, to the left moreso of what whacked him.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where was this one?

And awesome pictures. Really puts it in perspective as to how dangerous it is out there right now and how easy a small slide like that can take a fellar out.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Damn. He probably never even saw it coming. So sad.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking back to ast1. Don't most avalanche fatalities happen between 30 and 45 degrees.
Yes that's right, higher deg slopes releases more natural by itself

Sure looks loaded - drifted to the left of where the slide started

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not the same kind if trees I ride, too open there

Too open? uhhh nope. Here's a picture from the adjacent peak to the west. This area is steeper than you think and not easy to access. Dan knew it better than most. The area in those pics is a small area on the north facing slope of an otherwise pretty well tightly treed area. Its hidden in below a rocky ridge, which is probably why it was as wind loaded if the winds were from the south. They got a couple feet of snow last week. All factors that played into it likely.

Attachments

• April 2009 008.jpg
    April 2009 008.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 685

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like it's an eye opener to most that replied to your post.

very good information. This is the kind of stuff all back country sledders need to see. Just talking about it is one thing but pictures put it into perspective.

Thanks for the great post

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't really want to comment to much on this thread as Dan was a good riding friend of mine and seeing the pics and reading the details kinda pisses me off and upsets me. But please continue with your observations and discussion.
All i can say is, it is easy to dissect the situation after the fact, i also looked at the report and automatically thought WHY did you do that Dan.
But unless you were there caught up in the moment....well, you get what i mean.
Dan knew this area very well and he probably pulled this line 1,000 times. Unfortunately condition's that day got the better of him.
I rode this area in the past and it is very well tree'd and steep, somewhat similar to Eagles in the lower areas or Blue lake at upper areas. How many of you ride the tree's at Eagles or Blue lake?

Last edited:

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a similar situation in the trees many times... don't think just because there are trees around you are safe from avalanche.

my situation happened the same as well were it broke below me, luckily I was right at the top.

The thing that scares me the most about tree avalanche is typically you are separated from your group for immediate help. furthermore, unlike a open face, generally people will not be around to see the event and respond appropriately.

and to think there are people out there that like to do night rides in the trees. not wise in my opinion.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't really want to comment to much on this thread as Dan was a good riding friend of mine and seeing the pics and reading the details kinda pisses me off and upsets me. But please continue with your observations and discussion.
All i can say is, it is easy to dissect the situation after the fact, i also looked at the report and automatically thought WHY did you do that Dan.
But unless you were there caught up in the moment....well, you get what i mean.
Dan knew this area very well and he probably pulled this line 1,000 times. Unfortunately condition's that day got the better of him.
I rode this area in the past and it is very well tree'd and steep, somewhat similar to Eagles in the lower areas or Blue lake at upper areas. How many of you ride the tree's at Eagles or Blue lake?
Most are not at 40 deg slopes, and not that big ( 1/4 the size of that at best) of 40 deg slope at bluelake

Eagles, well there's lots yes, not so much in the burn but others spots there's lots

Don't really ride them at all

There's tons of areas everywhere that have the same thing forsure, but as u said conditions obviously are not right for them right now

Top Bottom