Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
CloseClose
10623038_1339779096039349_3235203714353577683_n.jpg

Timeline PhotosKananaskis Country Public Safety Section · Timeline Photos

Unfortunatley we had a serious avalanche incident today. Specifics details are being withheld while we investigate, but we wanted to share some info for the back country user group's immediate benefit. Here are the technical details:
-sz 3
-north aspect
-no previous avalanche activity this season
-it was human triggerd and started in the alpine...
-we're unsure of where exactly it was triggered from, but we suspect it was triggered mid slope
-it involved both problems currently identified in the bulletin, initiating with surface of near surface slabs and quickly stepping down to the Jan 6th layer
-the maximun crown depth was 1.5m and the minimum was 40cm

More details will follow soon, but for the time being, if you are heading into the back country, thouroughly read the bulletin and identify the terrain to avoid. These avalanche conditions will not change any time soon

just found this on Global:
CALGARY – Canmore RCMP are investigating the death of a solo snowshoer in Kananaskis country.
The snowshoer was reported as overdue on Sunday evening after heading out to a popular hiking area called Tent Ridge, located in Spray Valley Provincial Park.
According to Avalanche Canada’s website, the snowshoer was completely buried after triggering a size 3.0 avalanche which initiated near 2,400m and ran for over 800m.
The victim, identified by RCMP as a 55-year-old Canmore man, was not wearing a transceiver. His name hasn’t been released.
Search and rescue crews were able to recover the victim’s body on Monday morning with the help of a Parks Canada service dog.
The Kananaskis Country Public Safety Section posted on their Facebook page details about a “serious avalanche incident” which started in the alpine where maximum crown depth was 1.5m and the minimum was 40cm.
Kananaskis is located about 100 kilometres west of Calgary

Last edited:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Avalanche in Kananaskis country is rated as serious .... human triggered

I believe it was a snoeshoer.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canmore man killed in avalanche on Tent Ridge in Kananaskis Country | Calgary Herald

Last edited:

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Size 3 with no beacon, wouldn't have matter if anyone else was there. Always more risk when you're in the back country alone.

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The slope that they are describing, if it is the one i think it is; has killed many people in the past. Curious if anyone i know.

Top Bottom