A real eye opener- for even me

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a similar situation in the trees many times... don't think just because there are trees around you are safe from avalanche.

my situation happened the same as well were it broke below me, luckily I was right at the top.

The thing that scares me the most about tree avalanche is typically you are separated from your group for immediate help. furthermore, unlike a open face, generally people will not be around to see the event and respond appropriately.

and to think there are people out there that like to do night rides in the trees. not wise in my opinion.

agree, just think how hard it is a find a riding buddy when he is stuck somewhere in the trees and is trying to give you directions via radio, sometimes it takes a long time to locate him. now think if you are riding in the trees and stop, dont hear his machine, try and call him with no response, now you have to try and remember where you saw him last and follow his tracks to try and locate him......can easily turn bad real quick

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
This is actually the type of rare information I was referring to in the other thread, I have not seen many incidents which detail the events, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

For those who were close to Dan my condolences and I understand how tough this must be, we lost a good friend last year to a broken ankle, not much to learn from that one but the details involved here could /may/will likely save others from a similar fate.

RIP Dan.

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to see the information regarding avalanches that have been investigated you can. Go to avalanche.ca then "avalanche information" then "historical incidents"
Here is the quick link

You can adjust the parameters to include many different data sets. Pictures of any are under "external documents".
They also publish books with all historical slide information.
Also on that avalanche information tab is a great link to pre trip planning and weather.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I have had a bit of a false sense of security riding in the trees. And like Oler said, its more difficult to ride in a tight group so I often find myself alone.

thiels2

Reaction score
I would think most of us would say it was a "relatively" safe slope being in the trees and all or at least not a "high" risk/consequence decision, most people on here probably wouldn't think twice about riding in that zone had this tragedy not happened, always easier to assess the incident after it has happened on a computer screen. Big eye opener for sure and a terrible loss for Friends, family and entire sledding community.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely opened my eyes, I wouldn't have given that small of an area a second thought.....I will now.

Thanks for sharing and my condolences to all who knew Dan.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
In the pic of the terrain where the avy happened, it almost looks like an old logging trail up above the area, and a switchback on the left heading down into the area that let go? Could be wrong, but that's what i see??

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what myself and my usual riding partner were saying needs to happen. This information will help others make smart decisions and could save somebodies life even. It seems these tragedies happen and nobody ever gives much for details.I understand the situation is tough as people have lost loved ones or friends, but I think not talking about it helps nobody. If people can take useful information away from these incidents and learn from them, then apply that to their everyday riding, then just maybe others won't have to endure the pain involved with these situations. I guess its easy to say all this, as it seems there is always going to be those clowns that bring the negative into everything.... they did this or they should have done that, how could they not see this sign or that sign, and I suppose if that negativity was directed toward my deceased friend I might hesitate to tell everybody the details. However i think thats exactly how people will learn and get better, by analyzing the mistakes other made, and how to not make the same ones. As others already stated several times,I really had a eye opener with this one, as I've always was under the premise tree riding was more or less a safe zone......mind you I probably don't ride stuff quite that steep, but still a good point to be aware of.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is there any info if he had avy pack ? and if so was it deployed ? pictures really bring it home cause this is the stuff we play tag in all the time Will def miss Dan RIP

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think most of us would say it was a "relatively" safe slope being in the trees and all or at least not a "high" risk/consequence decision, most people on here probably wouldn't think twice about riding in that zone had this tragedy not happened, always easier to assess the incident after it has happened on a computer screen. Big eye opener for sure and a terrible loss for Friends, family and entire sledding community.

I can't believe this is eye opening for ANYONE shocking and scary really. A 40 degree slope in sparse trees with a terrain trap at the bottom. Yea total eye opener

And are you all aware this information has been available to everyone for every avalanche accident for many years on avalanche.ca?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a similar situation in the trees many times... don't think just because there are trees around you are safe from avalanche.

my situation happened the same as well were it broke below me, luckily I was right at the top.

The thing that scares me the most about tree avalanche is typically you are separated from your group for immediate help. furthermore, unlike a open face, generally people will not be around to see the event and respond appropriately.

and to think there are people out there that like to do night rides in the trees. not wise in my opinion.

Exactly. The other thing you didn't mention is trauma from contracting a tree or branches during the avalanche event

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the pic of the terrain where the avy happened, it almost looks like an old logging trail up above the area, and a switchback on the left heading down into the area that let go? Could be wrong, but that's what i see??

There are a number of old logging roads and exploration roads in the area, they did exploration in the area as well for uranium back in the late 70's, but not exactly which pic you are talking about. They also could be cat trails for the cat ski operation that is in the area. sometimes they cut them in and don't use them all during the season.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely gotta agree with maxwell here. A 40 degree slope is a very steep slope, not to mention getting pushed into a terrain trap. People are so worried about feelings and being politically correct. We need to stop being nice. You see someone being an idiot tell them. Chances are there just to dimwitted to know. Could end up saving some ones life and our access to the back country.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't really want to comment to much on this thread as Dan was a good riding friend of mine and seeing the pics and reading the details kinda pisses me off and upsets me. But please continue with your observations and discussion.
All i can say is, it is easy to dissect the situation after the fact, i also looked at the report and automatically thought WHY did you do that Dan.
But unless you were there caught up in the moment....well, you get what i mean.
Dan knew this area very well and he probably pulled this line 1,000 times. Unfortunately condition's that day got the better of him.
I rode this area in the past and it is very well tree'd and steep, somewhat similar to Eagles in the lower areas or Blue lake at upper areas. How many of you ride the tree's at Eagles or Blue lake?

Thanks Lund, I was a friend of his too. I feel the same way, thinking everyone has something to share because of who it was. tires me to keep hearing it. For what it's worth I chatted with my neighbor today who is with the search and rescue team that was called out. He told me it was a tricky spot that let go, even he said it would appear to be a safe place. There was a small convex in the slope that was loaded and let go...they bombed the site feeling it was unsafe to extract but could not get the rest to release. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. Going to miss that krazy Canadian.

thiels2

Reaction score
I can't believe this is eye opening for ANYONE shocking and scary really. A 40 degree slope in sparse trees with a terrain trap at the bottom. Yea total eye opener

And are you all aware this information has been available to everyone for every avalanche accident for many years on avalanche.ca?

Maxwell I don't think anyone would argue the fact that it was impossible and the fact there most certainly is a terrain trap at the bottom and it was a fairly steep slope. Look a little closer in the second picture In my opinion the particular section that slid was not that sparse tree wise, wasn't thick either by any means but enough in my mind to not be highly suspect in a good majority of conditions. If your going off pictures the open area to the left would have been more likely. There are many factors and each day is different as I'm sure you know. Again without being there knowing the conditions to the best of your ability on that day, it is very easy to pick an incident apart based off pictures on your screen.

Also I think some people were referring to the pictures provided not the incident report itself.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

For a guy who goes on and one about how epic he and his magical ****ing summit is, I'd LOVE to know where you ride. Especially if this type of terrain is something you stay away from.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're all trying to learn here don't need to make it personal!

In all fairness your original post did come across kind of dickish. I think as long as guys are learning there is no need to judge. The more we talk about this and learn, the better chance we have of coming home at the end of the day. I have all the gear, AST1, and lots of experience.....Ive never seen something like that slide.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In all fairness your original post did come across kind of dickish. I think as long as guys are learning there is no need to judge. The more we talk about this and learn, the better chance we have of coming home at the end of the day. I have all the gear, AST1, and lots of experience.....Ive never seen something like that slide.

I don't have a lot of experience. And I have. . But if I've learned anything from my days it's that anything will get you. Anything. And that's coming from a few close calls that changed the way I ride for good. The most un suspect slopes have almost taken members of my family and some of my best friends. Terrain people hammer down on every day without even thinking twice about it. Just like I used too. One particular slope my friend said after he hasn't seen it come down in the twenty years he has been riding it. And this is a huge problem. We need to stop looking at slopes and saying I've never seen that slide or Ive never seen anything like that slide. We need to start assessing the terrain and asking ourselves...IF that slides what is going to happen before crossing the zone. We have a 40 degree slope and a persistent weak layer and I need to sidehill across that slope. What is going to happen if it slides? I'm not saying you can't do it but you need to run through every scenario and escape plan before doing so.

Top Bottom