Clemina claims another.

KORE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One dead in avalanche near Valemount, B.C.

BY STAFF REPORTER, THE PROVINCEAPRIL 11, 2009 11:01 AM

A 24-year-old snowmobiler was killed in an avalanche outside Valemount Friday afternoon.

Valemount RCMP got a report just before 3 p.m. that a group of snowmobilers had triggered an avalanche in the Monashee Mountains, near the Clemina Creek snowmobiling area.

Details are still emerging, but RCMP said in a statement that the group were taking turns riding up a slope when one of them was buried. Other snowmobilers were able to dig the victim out, but efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.

The victim was from Sherwood Park, Alta. Details of his identity will be released once next-of-kin have been notified.

The accident brings the death toll of snowmobilers killed in avalanches this winter to 18.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats sad..another case of highmarking from the sounds of it...my condolences..mine are put away for the year..polishing the boat

sledhunter

Reaction score
Is there some sort of contest to see how many snowmobilers can die this year?
As the search and rescue manager for the McBride & Valemount areas I can tell all of you that it's getting harder and harder to find trained professionals that are willing to bring out your dead.
The snowmobiling community has to address the number of deaths caused by this sport.

Dale Mason
Search and Rescue Manager
Robson Valley Search and Rescue
McBride & Valemount

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
As the search and rescue manager for the McBride & Valemount areas I can tell all of you that it's getting harder and harder to find trained professionals that are willing to bring out your dead.
The snowmobiling community has to address the number of deaths caused by this sport.

Dale Mason
McBride & Valemount

Dale knows first hand how deeply these calls affect the (mostly quite young) Search and Rescue volunteers. Not just the sledder and friends/family are affected. There is a ripple effect throughout the whole community when someone perishes in our beloved mountains.

There are so many wonderful and safe places to play here. Use your common sense - it has been well documented that avalanche conditions are volatile all over BC. Please don't think that it won't happen to you.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Dale Mason
McBride & Valemount

My condolences to all the families and friends of the victims of this years avalanches. I just want to say a big thumbs up to the guys and gals of the search and rescue. Its not something that had often crossed my mind till now reading the above quote. You guys are heros coming out to rescue us in the worst possiable conditions. You guys are doing a great job in such a tough year and we all appreciated it. I hope everybody will do the same and thank there local search and rescue these guys have had a rough year. Keep up the good work :wtg:

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RIP

I think the point is, they want to stop having to do this work. Lets all ensure this happens.

I agree I hope there aren't anymore avalanches. just wanted to say we appreciated the work they are doing. Its not always avalanches that bring them out to rescue our friends and familys. most or all of these guys are voulnters and the work they do has been tough this year. Not all riders are irrasonsibale somtimes ch!t happens and these guys are there to make sure we get home. I just want to make sure they know how much its appreciated
Ride safe

highmark x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what hill it was on. If it was hill climb hill, didn't he see the video of last weeks avey.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My condolences to the family and friends!
catmando!

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another avoidable incident..... I feel terribly for all involved

We had our hosts at Allan and Clemina parking areas today asking riders to use better judgement and play safe.

Please user your Head out there, its just not the right time for any sort of climbing. As mentioned above, we have been putting our S&R crews to the test this winter and they are doing an amazing job, this trend cant continue

blair155

Reaction score
Thanks shrek1. Here is a direct link to the pictures. looks very avoidable. Condolences to the friends and family.

[media]http://www.avalanche.ca/Forms/Incident/Attachments/guid-09d4a32f-af08-4360-8448-e068a661b835.jpg[/media]
[media]http://www.avalanche.ca/Forms/Incident/Attachments/guid-350a83d7-ef27-452d-a8fe-bff9c076c869.jpg[/media]
[media]http://www.avalanche.ca/Forms/Incident/Attachments/guid-dc05d22d-0dca-4949-9cac-f5ce88a0163c.jpg[/media]

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Thanks shrek1. Here is a direct link to the pictures. looks very avoidable. Condolences to the friends and family.

[media]http://www.avalanche.ca/Forms/Incident/Attachments/guid-09d4a32f-af08-4360-8448-e068a661b835.jpg[/media]
[media]http://www.avalanche.ca/Forms/Incident/Attachments/guid-350a83d7-ef27-452d-a8fe-bff9c076c869.jpg[/media]
[media]http://www.avalanche.ca/Forms/Incident/Attachments/guid-dc05d22d-0dca-4949-9cac-f5ce88a0163c.jpg[/media]

Is that the area east of the cabin in the valley that is or used to be well marked as a no go avalanche zone where the people were killed from Hinton back in the 80's? Sure looks like the area.....

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that the area east of the cabin in the valley that is or used to be well marked as a no go avalanche zone where the people were killed from Hinton back in the 80's? Sure looks like the area.....

looks like top end of wind tunnel ???

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Been on that hill many times,It is a but nerve racking when conditions are good,I cant believe they would climb that in these conditions.
People give your head a shake!
catmando!

Top Bottom