Changing recoil spring on 2011 RMK Pro

Jordan1924

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how big a pain in the A$$ this is to change just took a glance and it looks tough to get bottom bolts out of cover
Anyone have any tips on changing spring?

Dsoicher

Reaction score
You have to undo the two motor mounts on that side and pry the motor up to get to a couple of the bolts.

Was trying to replace pull cord now recoil spring has popped out... kind of a pain. Any tips to geting that sucker back in?

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done it a few times. I leave the bottom bolts out so I can do it on the trail if needed.
When wrapping the spring use gloves, those springs are sharp. Just coil it up, grab the center with your index finger and thumb on the other side. Squeeze, and pull the tail with the other hand. Continue to do this till the spring is wrapped tight. Then carefully install it into the housing. Might take a few tries. And make sure you put it in the correct way or it won't pull out. Same with the plastic and rope.

Burn1

Reaction score
I am having to replace my pull cord now and man what a pain!!! i feel that i am putting to much stress on the clutch side motor mounts by just undoing the right side, is this the right way to do it? just the right side mounts and lift the engine to get at the two bolts on the bottom of the cover. Any feed back helps thanks this is a great forum

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can do it with out taking to motor mounts out you just need a long alan key and make sure it a good one because they are all thread locked in so you dont want to strip it. but if you have good tools it works well kinda a pain tho

Jordan1924

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done it a few times. I leave the bottom bolts out so I can do it on the trail if needed.
When wrapping the spring use gloves, those springs are sharp. Just coil it up, grab the center with your index finger and thumb on the other side. Squeeze, and pull the tail with the other hand. Continue to do this till the spring is wrapped tight. Then carefully install it into the housing. Might take a few tries. And make sure you put it in the correct way or it won't pull out. Same with the plastic and rope.
Maybe a dumb question but have u ever had any issues leaving the bottom bolts out??

Jordan1924

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the input greatly appreciated. Stuck at work for the past month just itching to ride didnt want to be stuck trying to change stupid rope when i get home before i can go rippin

Top Bottom