Champion generators

oldernotwiser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Catmando is right that they are a fair size. I rigged mine to slide into the receiver on the back of the camper when not towing another trailer. Saves lifting it into the pickup, and it is always there when you need it.

Attachments

• IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 112

oldernotwiser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought it late last season, so can't really speak on reliability yet. I just use a locking pin on the receiver.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Just camp beside someone with a Honda..... You just may forget to take yours home !:D

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The engine is a Honda clone (licensed I think). The quality may not be as steller as the Honda, but its pretty good really. It's better than a B&S or a Tecumseh (sp?). It's a nice little 6.5h OHV engine that starts easy on one pull ever time I have tried it. Runs smooth, and is as quite as any of the others. If you want to hear something noisy try something with a B&S on it (like a Coleman powermate), the Honda clones are whisper quite in comparison. At $300 you can think of it as a throw away but sooooo many people have bought champion and they have all be quite impressed with the durability and warranty support. Lots of guys bought them thinking they would just buy another if they quit and they are still on the first one. I think about the only thing you need to pay attention to (besides normal oil and air filter maint) is adjusting the valves every hundred hours.

The other thing you need to think about, besides the engine, is the gen head itself. And the CPE gen head is well built and voltage is electronically regulated (others are often only capacitor regulated).

I think the quality will far exceed your expectations at $300. I have looked at several of the other brands that also build the Honda clones and the champion seems better built and has a far better rep. It is probably the most researched and talked about off brand you could buy.

CPE also has a north American office which is probably why the warranty support is so much better then the others.

Those $2000 honda's and yammies do have one advantage these low cost gens will never have, under low load they idle the engine right down and run whisper quite, however when you have them on high load (like AC running), they make just about as much noise as the champion would at high load (around 65db). Idling the engine down like that takes a fancy gen head with a lot of wires and an electronic inverter to "re-create" the power at 60Hz, this is the main reason why they cost so much. Something to think about though if your real goal is to just watch TV or something and want a truly quite gen.

I spent a lot of time looking in to these 3000W champions, including a couple long evenings reading the 600 some page past on RV net. Don't loose that link (one of my earlier posts on this thread), if you buy one you will want it. Every thing you can think of in there, GFI issues, making them still quieter, mounting them in an RV or other enclosure to reduce noise and still maintain cooling, maintenance, trouble shooting, tons of stuff I cant even think of right now. A lot of guys put a lot of good info in there. Worth the time to read through if you are looking for that kind of stuff.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would agree that the Coleman is noisy but I dont need a forklift to load it or be a machanic to sevice it,I have a Honda eu 3000 now and before I bought it I looked at the champion at Costco and decided I would keep the coleman before I bought that one.In the peacefull setting of your campsite even the Honda can be annoying and you can hear it running,The champion or the coleman are running at the level of noise where in either case they are a pain in the butt for anyone within a 1000 yrds or more.They are realitivily equal when they are working,champion is a much better at idle though.Most people I camp with use the 10 am to noon rule using there generators unless its a emergecy.
Dont forget your earplugs!
catmando!

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought one of these at the end of last year and have yet to use it, what I did was look at the price and figured the only thing I used my other generator for was to charge the batteries if required may 2 -3 times a year and for the wife to run the microwave to make popcorn, so I thought 300 was the way to go we will see.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ended up picking one up on Saturday but haven't even taken it out of the ox yet. For $300.00 can't go wrong. I am well aware it won't be as quiet as teh EU series but when its 35 c out and the kid is screaming cause he can't sleep in the heat I really don't care if it is a little louder than a honda while I use it to cool the trailer down. Otherwise really won't be running it much.

Will post after the first time out and maybe try and get a vid of it running. Hav though about building an insulated box for it and running the exhaust outside to dampen the noise a bit.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I borrowed a honda 4 stroke last year. Very quiet to run.
Chained it in my box and had a soft toneau cover over it...out of site, out of mind. Thing ran great while we camped. Guys next door were amazed how quiet it was.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the costco # for this item. I went to there website and they only list the Coleman gens. Even better do you know which stores still have some in stock so I can call in an order.
All searches for Champion come up blank on the Costco site.

Thanks,

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They don't list it on the website. It is a local item as far as I know. When I was at Sherwood Park Costco on Friday they had six left. Five after I walked away with mine. Stupid a$$ though I put it in the cart instead of a flat deck and it was a bi%6h getting it out of the cart and into the truck myself. Oh well... There is a link to the Champion Website that I put on this post. Just go to products and Costco is carrying the 3500/3000w RV ready model. Costco also has the 6500w model for about 699.00.

Last edited:

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll put my 2 cents worth in on the subject. :D

I bought one of these 3000W Champion generators last year. Works great. It may be heavy, but a guy can lift it by himself, were I couldn't lift my 5K Coleman. :sadbanana:

The Champion is quiter than the Coleman, by far. I usually run the trailer power cord all the way out & I have a 50 ft heavy guage extension cord & use it to get the generator out there about 70 ft or so (I don't need the lecture about voltage drop & such, Thanks) ... & it's not annoying to us at all.
Even if the generator is located at the rear of the trailer, the wife doesn't mind at all .... so ... life is good.

My brother has a Honda 2000, which by the way, is a actually a 1600W generator with a 2000W surge. Anyway, yes, it's quiet ... but cost a lot more than $300. And won't start my AC.
If you check out the larger Honda's & Yamaha (or other brands) to compare against the 3000W Champion, I think you'll be surprised to find the decibles are real close. I mean, when you're talk'in 67 db comapred to 62 db's or 72 db's, I doubt anyone can really tell the difference in noise level ....... Say that again .... I can't hear ya !!!! ....:rolling:

On my trailer, if I have the microwave on & then turn on the AC, it kicks the microwave off. But if I start the AC first, then turn the microwave on, no problem. As well as run anthing else AFTER the AC is on. But we don't really use the AC much in the bush, mostly at the house while loading up. And then the trailer is plugged into the power companies juice. So no issues there.

Personally, I don't think a guy can go wrong with one. But if a guy has lots of money, Honda's & Yamaha generators are great items.

Later ...

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone using a Champion Generator? Looking at one and for the price I don't think a guy can go wrong. Just wondering if anyone is using one, what size and how happy are you with it. I want it to run the AC in my travel trailer
I bought a 4000/2800 3 years ago for around $400 @ Costco. I have ran 3 newer 24' trailers @ once. Only 1 A/C unit at a time. It's almost as quiet as a Honda, but not a Honda. I highly recommend it, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if need be. With a 25' trailer extension cord, you can barely hear a purrrr.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I have the 3000 watt p3 from NAPA and it is pretty quite. I also have a 25' ext. cord.We use it for making coffe and stuff . I don't notice a huge noise.it think it was 400 or something .it will run the A.C. and and few other things .Good luck with the choice

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
OK my $0.02 the only time my ac has ever had to run was in the driveway trying it out I haven't camp with it once where I needed it around Alberta/BC....can't speak for camping the lower states.
I have a Honda 2000 and it is whisper quiet sometimes you forget you have it on. It is the inverter type so it is always at an idle until the coffee pot or toaster is used then it idles up. What I do is use an 100' extension cord and carry mine 100' out into the bush and use a python lock and lock to to a tree point the exhaust away from eveyone no one hears it and just bring into the trailer at night.

Verti-Kyle

Reaction score
I picked up a 3000 watt generator for my holiday trailer this year and have been really happy with it. Honda knock off. Not quite as cheap as $300 bucks but its a nice size (fits under my sled deck) and not too loud. You can check out the specs at the web site below.

Bought it from Superior Industrial Frictions here in Edmonton 6819 34st.
Ph (780)463-6005
They are listing them for $560 but I spoke with the guy and he said he would sell for $469.
Just another option if anyone is interested

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canadian Tire has Champion generators on sale this week, the 3000/4000watt is on for $339.99. I,m going to check the one Verti-Kyle mentioned in the last thread, will it run a RV air conditioner and since it's a honda clone is it as quite?

Verti-Kyle

Reaction score
Canadian Tire has Champion generators on sale this week, the 3000/4000watt is on for $339.99. I,m going to check the one Verti-Kyle mentioned in the last thread, will it run a RV air conditioner and since it's a honda clone is it as quite?

Yeah, it runs the A/C unit in my trailer no problem. I'm not sure how it compares to the Honda's but I've used it in campgrounds and nobody threw anything at me :realmad:

If money was no object then those inverter models are the way to go, but its hard to justify that kind of money unless you use it all the time.

Top Bottom