Champion generators

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone using a Champion Generator? Looking at one and for the price I don't think a guy can go wrong. Just wondering if anyone is using one, what size and how happy are you with it. I want it to run the AC in my travel trailer

Last edited by a moderator:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Re: Cahmpion generators

How big a generator do you need to run A.C.??? Maybe 3000 watts?

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Awesome product. Very popular. Warranty support is excellent on it in north america (not so with most of the other honda clones). I don't think it is loud at all. One of the quiter ones, 67db I think. Get em from costco.

There is a thread on RV.net started a couple of years ago on this product. This thread has everything you ever wanted to know about it, including every kind of mod you can think of and all kinds of stuff. Some 600 pages long now.

Many run their AC on the 3000W but you may need to mod the gen or put a starting capacitor on the AC unit. Check the forum.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: 3000W Chinese Gensets Info.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will take a look. I need the 3000w to run the AC. I have gotten it going with a 2000 honda but only on low and boy does it work! Cosco has the 3000W (peak 3500) for $300.00.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Is it the newer one with the 120V-220V switch? What this does is put both coils in parrallel, giving you twice as much current at 120V then you would get otherwise. Something you will probably need for starting up the AC. When it's in 220V mode, you only get half as much current on each 120V leg.

Many that bought the model without the switch have moded the gen head to provide 120V only (at twice the current). I have done the mod on mine, I might have pics. Let me know if you need em. Not as pleasent to do on the CSA (canadian) models but still possible. I wouldn't use 220V for anything so hardwiring it to 120V was no big deal for me. I think the newer ones have the switch now though.

Also, if you are going to mod it, pull the bond wire off between neutral and the frame, most people feel it's safer to leave neutral float with a portable gen, but not CSA - they want you to sink a 12ft ground rod each time you use it. (for those that don't know, if you bond neutral to ground and don't use a ground rod and have a hot short to ground in your RV you will be part of the ground circut when you step out of the RV and get a jolt! - if you don't bond it, you don't get the jolt - same goes for just a power tool). Another reason to use GFI plugs on a gen.

You can also get the 5000W to be safe, but it's not luggable like the 3000W. I used to have a 5000W but it almost killed me to load it by myself.

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone using a Champion Generator? Looking at one and for the price I don't think a guy can go wrong. Just wondering if anyone is using one, what size and how happy are you with it. I want it to run the AC in my travel trailer
Usually you get what you pay for i bought a 500 dollar 4000 w lp being cheap it was very noisey it started falling a part got rid of it and got a yamaha 3000 ei 2200 hundred i can run my trailer no problem the other people around dont complain about the noise There should be a sticker some place in your trailer to tell you what size your air condition is go by it and a little extra fridge lights etc

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have run the AC on a 3000w no problem with lots of juice left over.
2003Summit, if I do buy it I may PM you for those pics. The 3000w at Costco is advertised on the Champion website as being RV ready so it should do the trick. I don't use a generator much, just my kid isn't even a year old and when it hits 35c like last year he is none to happy so just need a back up for those sites with no Power.

Well aware that you get what you pay for but for how much I use it I really don't want to drop that kind of coin on a Honda or Yamaha. (Less money for sled stuff this summer)

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
2003Summit, if I do buy it I may PM you for those pics. The 3000w at Costco is advertised on the Champion website as being RV ready so it should do the trick. I don't use a generator much, just my kid isn't even a year old and when it hits 35c like last year he is none to happy so just need a back up for those sites with no Power.

Well aware that you get what you pay for but for how much I use it I really don't want to drop that kind of coin on a Honda or Yamaha. (Less money for sled stuff this summer)

HOW MUCH ARE THOSE ONES AT COSTCO??? BEEN THINKING OF PICKING ONE UP TOO...

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$299 for the 3000 and I think they had a 6500 for around $600. For that kind of the money its a throw away anyhow

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking. New Honda EU3000 around $2800.00 if you shop aorund. I can almost go through 10 of these things for that price. Not sure how many were left. Probably going to head down there this afternoon and grab one before all the Snow and Mudders grab them.

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My wife is kinda like your child she gets a bit grumpy also she likes to rough it with her ac and tv LOL The more i accomidate her less fristion more cash for suds parts and others for sledding and quadding

oldernotwiser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have the $299 four stroke. 3000 watt 3500 peak. Not to loud and runs air no problem.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They are pretty big ,not a lot of fun to pack around but you cant go wrong for 300.00 bucks.And anyone who says there quiet must be drunk.
catmando!

Top Bottom