Catarract/Etherington/Fording pass conditions 2010/2011

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah... sorry 'bout that.

oh that was so last year. i may have mellowed a bit. hehehe:beer:

anyway kt that is the number that is listed for srd info on there fluz map. if you can get a hold of the local ranger, that should also work.

at this time i just see what is on the paper, that's why i'd ask for some direction. the local ranger gets his direction from the higher up's from calgary, and they will tell him to start the fining process or not.

Cliff Clavin

Reaction score
My riding buddy called as well and was told to go have fun and report back on the conditions. So that it was we are going to do....Not going to worry about what some flyer says when those in the know say to have fun....

Masterquadman

Reaction score
I just called myself to confirm that the trails are open. The lady on the phone told me that the rangers have said the trails are open and they are currently plowing the road and parking areas. No need to discuss this any further... Lets Ride:specool:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just called myself to confirm that the trails are open. The lady on the phone told me that the rangers have said the trails are open and they are currently plowing the road and parking areas. No need to discuss this any further... Lets Ride:specool:

cool, maybe that is what designated means. that is the info everyone has been looking for. ::beer: :d

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picture,Pictures Pictures please guy's....always need pictures......report
on how deep too please.I see on the Nakiska snow report they have had
some good snow falling this week Please someone,give us accurate information...my thumb has been twiching all week.

Hirmkin

Reaction score
This was mentioned a few post back NO GROOMED TRAILS IN CATARACT, this really blows!!!!
I’ve enjoyed the groom trails in Cataract Creek since I was a kid.
My kids learned how to ride there and loved every minute it for the pass 18 years.
For parents who want to introduce their younger kids to sledding Cataract Creek was the perfect place.
Now it will be a nightmare for the parents to take small kids ridding on miles of washboard trails.
BLOWS!!!!

This is from the government web site

Snowmobile Trails - Cataract Creek Forest Land Use Zone
• Tourism, Parks and Recreation has prioritized its winter trail and facility maintenance program based on available resources and will focus existing maintenance on winter grooming of cross country ski trails at Sandy McNabb within the Sheep River and Bluerock Wildland provincial parks.
• The grooming equipment that was dedicated to the Cataract Creek snowmobile trails in past years is no longer serviceable. The equipment’s replacement cost is estimated at $100,000.
• Tourism, Parks and Recreation will maintain the Cataract Creek snowmobile staging area at Cataract Creek Provincial Recreation Area so users are able to access the non-groomed trails.
• Proposals are being encouraged by non-profit or volunteer organizations to resume grooming on the Cataract snowmobile trails.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whos going Sat morning for a ride. i want to go for a short one to get the cobwebs out of the machine. Start about 9 and finish about 12-1. need to team up with someone as im a single
let me know
Rich

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went for a rip around the yard, 8 inches + of snow. man takes some time to get used to the acceleration of a 2 stroke. yippie yi ay.:d:d:d

cliffclavin

Reaction score
I don't think cataract is a good place for kids...too many yahoos driving too fast and some trails are pretty narrow.

Now without any grooming, the yahoos will be even more out of control....

Unfortunately there is no really good safe areas for kids to learn to ride near Calgary....We need a nearby lake or reservoir where the kids can putter around and still be seen from afar......I have only been to Maclean, Sibbald and Cataract so there may be more areas which I am unfamiliar with that would work for teaching the kids...

For the guys heading out on Friday or Saturday, don't mess up the trails for the Sunday riders....no blipping the throttle and creating mini ski jumps...:)

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today at Etherington and on the way
. nov 18-2010 etherington highwood 002.jpg

nov 18-2010 etherington highwood 003.jpg

nov 18-2010 etherington highwood 004.jpg

nov 18-2010 etherington highwood 006.jpg

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who goes out to sibbald? or McClean Creek or powderface trail. or is it worth it?
RP
Oh pics....please would be nice.
Thx
Road Powderface a couple of times last year but only the day after a good storm. It goes right down to the Elbow Loop and it's about 100 kms. round trip. If there's snow it's a very nice ride. The Powerface is a quick run and then Elbow is a lot of up and down and all around.

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think cataract is a good place for kids...too many yahoos driving too fast and some trails are pretty narrow.

Now without any grooming, the yahoos will be even more out of control....

Unfortunately there is no really good safe areas for kids to learn to ride near Calgary....We need a nearby lake or reservoir where the kids can putter around and still be seen from afar......I have only been to Maclean, Sibbald and Cataract so there may be more areas which I am unfamiliar with that would work for teaching the kids...

For the guys heading out on Friday or Saturday, don't mess up the trails for the Sunday riders....no blipping the throttle and creating mini ski jumps...:)
I would`nt want to take any kids on a lake or reservior to learn to ride. My self is werry about being on frozen water`s.

Last edited:

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there be more on the bc side i guess we hit about 1.5 feet at the deepest on the trails.Went to the first creek crossing on the fording side still need to freeeze over more but made the best of the day would`nt go tomorrow inless there was 1 foot of snow we did 40 miles today.

cliffclavin

Reaction score
I would`nt want to take any kids on a lake or reservior to learn to ride. My self is werry about being on frozen water`s.

I hear ya...if we are unsure about how frozen the lake is, we make a fishing hole and then measure the thickness....

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thursday at etherington/Catarract.:beer:

Attachments

• IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 231

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being that this is the first decent snowfall of the year there is still some ski chatter going on. We got some of the trails packed down but take it easy out there and have fun.:beer:

Top Bottom