Catarract/Etherington/Fording pass conditions 2010/2011

Volksnutt

Reaction score
I heard Parks wont be doing any grooming this year on the trails. Hope the snow holds, I have yet to ride out in Catarract/Etherington.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard Parks wont be doing any grooming this year on the trails. Hope the snow holds, I have yet to ride out in Catarract/Etherington.

Won't be doing a family day there I guess.
Is there anywhere closer than Crowsnest for family trail riding?
I know Mclean Crk is on a 15 year cycle for sledding... once every 15 years you can ride there.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not to many other areas around etherington area other than the pass and then over to golden unfortunately!! i wish that area got some more snow I would really really like to ride there

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There have been a few good days had back over fording!

Attachments

• P1310082.jpg
    P1310082.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,679
  • P1310089.jpg
    P1310089.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,706
  • P1310086.jpg
    P1310086.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,685
  • Castle_Fording_Jan.30-31_2010 038.jpg
    Castle_Fording_Jan.30-31_2010 038.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,670

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not to many other areas around etherington area other than the pass and then over to golden unfortunately!! i wish that area got some more snow I would really really like to ride there
Ive been down to cataract when there has been over 2 feet if fresh....But the best riding area is the fording and its a rough ride getting over there sometimes :( poor skis

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the biggest problem is that you never know when they get snw because the trail report isnt very accurate... its a crap shoot but it can be fun down there

Ok Heres one for you is there a trail at the southend of cataract that leads over the mountains to the west or is fording the only one? I ask because last year there was a group that appeared covered in snow and it must have been deep where they were and I scouted around a few times and dont know where they popped out from. Would be nice to know because i have heard that there is a couple of nice bowls back there
RP

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard there is a trail near the south end of the trail network but I can't think of the name. As for snow reports, we ride there quite a bit so I will try to update often.:beer:

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
And the biggest problem is that you never know when they get snw because the trail report isnt very accurate... its a crap shoot but it can be fun down there

Ok Heres one for you is there a trail at the southend of cataract that leads over the mountains to the west or is fording the only one? I ask because last year there was a group that appeared covered in snow and it must have been deep where they were and I scouted around a few times and dont know where they popped out from. Would be nice to know because i have heard that there is a couple of nice bowls back there
RP

You can ride south past the Old Man Falls, but going west is off limits,
Don Getty Parkland and closed to motorized, there are trails going over to the Silvermines, again, off limits, there have been recent years down there when there was 8 - 10 feet and more in places, and hopefully we'll see that again,,

*Joemama*

Reaction score
GetAttachment.aspx2.jpg
^^^ best day ever at catarract last year
tons of snow actually couldent feel the bumps last year
lets hope for similar conditions this year :)

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son and I went there last year and didnt see anyone for 2 hours and wow the powder was great... is there any snow there yet this year ?
RP

*Joemama*

Reaction score
my buddy went for a cruise up that way a week ago and he said there was a thin layer of white. he didnt turn off for cateract he only went through longview but the pass could already have lots and no one would know.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Cataract doesn't open to sleds until December 1st. Our first day last year was Dec 5th when it dumped 8" in the parking lots, and up to 4-5 feet at the top of Skyline (7200'). I went with 2 others and it was trail breaking in an average depth of 3' all day long with no base.

Last ride of the year was April 29th with Calgarysledguy and we pounded through a late spring dump of 3' or so that day as well. If you want to ride Cataract, watch for the snow squals that fall SE of Golden, and when it dumps over the pass, load up and go have fun.

As far as the grooming, it's probably not going to be any worse than last year when they only groomed some trails once. Best riding is over Skyline and down the meadows on the far south end of the logging road towards Old Man. There's a couple decent meadows back there but you have to wait for a good dump before it's really good riding back there.

Once in a while you get lucky and hit the fresh like a few of us got last year. Had a few awesome days out there. If anyone tells you there's no snow in Cataract Creek, tell them to look at the pictures in this thread. That'll silence the lambs!

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup so true. been down there twice last year when it was hammered. and I find that nobody rides south on the road and that was epic for 25 kms...powder all the way and what a blast. hoping that we get a dump on the 30th of november
RP

Top Bottom