Catarract/Etherington/Fording pass conditions 2010/2011

jerryscott

Reaction score
View attachment 70712

this seems to come up every year, these are the dates you can sled in these areas. go before you risk having the ares shut down, fines, day in court, and other sledders pissed at you. follow the rules and keep sledding areas open.:beer:

Thanks for the post with all this snowfall I was going to head out to Maclean to test run the sleds. I didn't realize that you can't sled there until jan 1 that kind of sucks

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post with all this snowfall I was going to head out to Maclean to test run the sleds. I didn't realize that you can't sled there until jan 1 that kind of sucks

you could check with forestry office to see what they call "designated" means. not sure myself.

better to be able to ride after jan1 than not at all:beer:

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last year Mclean was open Dec 1 for sleds....elbow loop was Jan 1

call the office for the correct info

a few weeks is not long to wait...........

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who goes out to sibbald? or McClean Creek or powderface trail. or is it worth it?
RP
Oh pics....please would be nice.
Thx

cliffclavin

Reaction score
Who goes out to sibbald? or McClean Creek or powderface trail. or is it worth it?
RP
Oh pics....please would be nice.
Thx

I have been out to sibbald once. The snow conditions were not great and we trashed our carbides. Apparently if you ride the trails far enough there is a play area but we never made it that far....

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
powderface is a good fun ride with snow, hard to believe they use to groom sibbald back in the day when a dozen beer:beer: was $3.35 cdn, and you'd weld your sled together if you hit object. :d

signedge

Reaction score
Talked to ranger going to phone back in the afternoon to see if Catarract is open..She says the gate is locked and across at beginning of gravel road off Highway 40.

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
weld you mean you had a welder all we had was bailing wire and binder twine you lucky old dog any old piece of dead fall was a replacement ski:):):):rolleyes::beer:

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowmobilerecyclers is right elbow loop is an awesome ride when conditions are right and its an all day outing if you have:nono:;):):beer: to break trail loads of fun and i do go out there every year so guys stay out till its open so we dont lose one of the secert spot gems in southern alberta

KTMOORE

Reaction score
I also called the Kananaskis Trail info line this morning. The lady I talked to said she would call back this afternoon. If allowed I think tomorrow will be a day off work to go out and play in the snow. I will post again with the answer from the Ranger station.

Jenkie

Reaction score
I also called the Kananaskis Trail info line this morning. The lady I talked to said she would call back this afternoon. If allowed I think tomorrow will be a day off work to go out and play in the snow. I will post again with the answer from the Ranger station.

Post some pics too please:)

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ask the ranger what a designated time is example cateract creek. lets find out for sure.

Masterquadman

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Here are the definitions of the words
Designated - means to set aside for a purpose.
permitted - Authorize or give permission for (something).
To me designated means that the date of Dec 1 has been set aside for snowmobiles. Unlike the word permitted this does not implicate that we do not have permission to do so outside of those dates. However, this means nothing if the ranger says otherwise. Let us know what the ranger says. We all want to go riding.:d

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in the land of the srd the meaning could be the difference in getting a ticket.
until it is found out i'd stay out till the date posted. these guys are waiting for an excuse to shut down areas permanently. better to wait and have a place to ride than to go before ad get it shut down.

friggin no riding permitted

Masterquadman

Reaction score
I tried the Blairmore forestry office but could not reach anyone.
I guess there is always the ditches or head out to Golden. Looks like there is plenty of snow for either.

KTMOORE

Reaction score
I received a call back from the Ranger Station and they confirmed that YES, the area is now open to sleds. They hope to have the staging areas cleared later today, so all is a go. For you skeptics, call the Peter Lougheed Ranger station yourselves at 403-591-6322. I hope to go tomorrow but would rather join up with someone. Anyone interested please Post me.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you need to call calgary 403-297-8800. i started to look into it last year and got ch!t on by members here, so they may listen if someone else asks

friggin snarky members

KTMOORE

Reaction score
why would you call Calgary Forestry when the Ranger in charge is based out of Peter Lougheed and they confirmed that the trails will not be groomed :) but then Catarract/Etherington areas are now open to sleds.

Top Bottom