Catarract/Etherington/Fording pass conditions 2010/2011

Reaction score
Staged at Etherington again today. About 20 cm of fresh in the parking lot and plenty more up high. There were only about 6 trucks in the lot today. Baril loop was great. A group punched the fording pass trail early and I tried to follow, but only made it to the last climb before the pass. Didn't want to get stuck as I was alone so turned around. What are the rules about riding off trail in the meadows and cut blocks at Cataract?

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"What are the rules about riding off trail in the meadows and cut blocks at Cataract?"

Have fun and enjoy....Play at will.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw on the Nakiskis web site they recieved 30cm in the last.....best snow conditions down there for years.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it worth bringing family down there to ride? My wife and kids won't enjoy whooped up trails - they are just on little bravo 250s. Hoping with the fresh snow to get out and trail ride for 20kms or so.

Would we be better off staging at Cataract or etherington?

Reaction score
I'm glad it's allowed to ride in those areas because I already have been. I didn't see the slide area when I went out Sunday. It might have been up at the pass. I'm not too familiar with the areas there.

As far as staging for a trail ride, I think the trails are pretty wooped out. So I'm not sure which staging area would be better.

What time are people planning on riding Tuesday? I'd like to tag along if you wouldn't mind and if I can get the day off work.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm glad it's allowed to ride in those areas because I already have been. I didn't see the slide area when I went out Sunday. It might have been up at the pass. I'm not too familiar with the areas there.

As far as staging for a trail ride, I think the trails are pretty wooped out. So I'm not sure which staging area would be better.

What time are people planning on riding Tuesday? I'd like to tag along if you wouldn't mind and if I can get the day off work.

Nothing planned yet. I'm pretty sure I'm Not working tomorrow.Ill know buy 12 for sure. Sounds like Boblikesfun might be interested and yourself.If we go id like to make a day out of it.Go out there for like 830 or something,burn up a tank of fuel for sure.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing planned yet. I'm pretty sure I'm Not working tomorrow.Ill know buy 12 for sure. Sounds like Boblikesfun might be interested and yourself.If we go id like to make a day out of it.Go out there for like 830 or something,burn up a tank of fuel for sure.

I would be in for Wed if you want to wait for a day and see if there are more to come!!!
Bennito you in?

paver

Reaction score
Is it worth bringing family down there to ride? My wife and kids won't enjoy whooped up trails - they are just on little bravo 250s. Hoping with the fresh snow to get out and trail ride for 20kms or so.

Would we be better off staging at Cataract or etherington?

Hey Shawn the trail going west out of Etherington was the worst of the bunch, but after Baril Loop it was not too bad. Also lower trail from Etherington to Cataract was in decent shape. Had my daughter out there on the 12th and she had a blast.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Paver, I'm honour...your first post was to help me out!:beer::beer:

I as wondering about that lower trail as it seems to see fewer sleds.

Good to hear your daughter is lovin it!

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trails get better the further south you go.Better snow coverage down there and less wind last weekend.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope no one to ride with :( .I know im a losser.I have been waiting 4 days now for some to say hey lets go ridding instead of sitting on snow and mud LOL

i think some of us have to work!!

i was thining about going out on saturday, but was hoping to hear about the conditions first! if all our lines through the trees aren't filled in yet, not much use of going. i guess we left a couple... but not many!!

bennito

Reaction score
Nope no one to ride with :( .I know im a losser.I have been waiting 4 days now for some to say hey lets go ridding instead of sitting on snow and mud LOL

I would have but I my sled's a right off:oops: Getting a new one on the weekend of the 27th:eek: I will hit it up with you after that buddy.

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did anybody go out yesterday?? if so, how was it?

I was out today and it was sunny and much warmer than calgary....but it was cloudy to the south with some heavy snowfall there

I stayed on the trails .. Fallers and upper raspberry pass were fresh stuff galore with huge drifts....but the rest was pounded out

Top Bottom