Catarract/Etherington/Fording pass conditions 2010/2011

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's not looking like i'm gonna get out of work... to bad as it is gonna warm up and all the snow will settle by the weekend. will let you know if something changes!

bennito

Reaction score
I would go wed if I can still move by then(Keep the snow in the mountains and not in the city please!!!) F*** I need a new job getin killed out there:(

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did i read there not grooming!!! wow... thats some major horse dodo. Wanted to take some first timers to Catarract cause it's where i learned, easiest way to make someone hate sledding on their first ride is whooped trails...

Cliff Clavin

Reaction score
Did i read there not grooming!!! wow... thats some major horse dodo. Wanted to take some first timers to Catarract cause it's where i learned, easiest way to make someone hate sledding on their first ride is whooped trails...

absolutely, trashed trails are the last place to take rookies....how about chestermere? I haven't been there on a sled but its close to the city and may be nice for a relaxing cruise...

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
As I read through this thread, all of the lamenting about the lack of grooming at Cataract and the rough trail system,,, how many of you are ASA or Club members ? In a city of a million people, the Calgary club has about 125 members, and the ASA province wide has less than 4000 with approximately 75 to 85000 sleds registered in this province.
If all of you were to join the ASA and local clubs, wherever you live, we would have a stronger voice in coercing the government departments to maintain the grooming we recently lost, and taking us seriously when we speak up to keep riding areas open.
Wasn't looking to sound like an azz, but stand and be counted, speaking out here is not going to get their attention, but a strong association opens doors and gets action,,,
Thanks to those who hold ASA Passes, the rest of you, time to join the fight,,,

Last edited:

bennito

Reaction score
OK who hit it lets here about it? (I got no job I, I live with my parents, I want details and I want them now!!:eek:)

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anybody been out this week??? did it dump, has it all settled now and no fresh left?? whats up?

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are heading out Sat. and will post.Would like to hear how conditions are though.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I read through this thread, all of the lamenting about the lack of grooming at Cataract and the rough trail system,,, how many of you are ASA or Club members ? In a city of a million people, the Calgary club has about 125 members, and the ASA province wide has less than 4000 with approximately 75 to 85000 sleds registered in this province.
If all of you were to join the ASA and local clubs, wherever you live, we would have a stronger voice in coercing the government departments to maintain the grooming we recently lost, and taking us seriously when we speak up to keep riding areas open.
Wasn't looking to sound like an azz, but stand and be counted, speaking out here is not going to get their attention, but a strong association opens doors and gets action,,,
Thanks to those who hold ASA Passes, the rest of you, time to join the fight,,,

yes very well put

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the fun afternoon there Summit X. Hope to ride with you again.

Summit X,Smokindave,myself and one other guy went over Fording this afternoon.I would say there is 3-4 inch of new snow(max) since last snow fall. Lots of my old tracks are still visible from tuesdayfeb 2nd.....The trail is really whooped.It will kick the crap out of you.Well it did me anyway.We still had a great afternoon playing in the trees.It was really windy , crappy visibility going over the pass.It was snowing lightly and blowing good on the BC side.Have fun who ever is going over.Tomorrow.

There is one spot for about 40 feet on a corner that is really drifted causing steep side hill beside a cliff.We had to dig it out to get there,and on the way back.Pictures will come later.Didn't take may due to the wind and poor visibility.
201102111627372.jpg

201102111627371.jpg

201102111625061.jpg

201102111625063.jpg

:beer:

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sweet, great ride calgarysledguy.

i was thinking on the way home that we should've been taking some video of those lines we were putting in the trees... not many people we be able to follow those! they were fun!! would've been awesome footage, next time i guess!!

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spent the day down there and had a great time.Snowed most of the day and
very high winds.Roads around there are nasty in spots-lots of vehicle in the ditch on hwy22 and 40.Heavy snow fall warning in the area for tonight.We were the first ones down several trails this AM so the trails weren't too rough but coming back up from the south the trails were really beat.There was about 30 units in the parking lot at Etherington.Hwy 22 was closed south of Chain Lakes do to a roll over,so everyone was turning around and going to Catract/Etherington.Snow down south was awesome.Tempurature was right around 0c all day.Super day...pictures to come when my bro sends them to me.

bennito

Reaction score
a little impatient are we?
a little disrespectful are we?
a little demanding are we?
a little frustrated are we?

take a breath and settle down....

Its from an episode from seinfield (its a joke) take a chill pill buddy!!!!

Reaction score
Sweet conditions today. I know plenty of people are complaining about the lack of grooming, but I didn't find the trails that bad at all. Plenty of fresh off to the sides too. Didn't make it up to the pass, but I'm sure it was windy. Snowing about 2 or 3 cm per hour when we left at 3 pm. Starting to get slabby and if the wind and snow keeps up, avy conditions will rise considerably. Heard a slide today but didn't see it, that was around 1:30. Not sure if it was natural or sled triggered.

Top Bottom